SASS Wire Forum

Why Total Time scoring is a disaster

Smokestack SASS#87384

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, one question:  how do you break ties with total time?  

19 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

Lowest SASS number wins, or we could arm wrestle. 

Thank you, I needed that! :lol:

Rank pts break the tie.:o LOL

HOWDY; In IPSC scoring there are four categories and each is scored  on there own. With a click of the mouse I can see a overall for my entertainment . WHY rank scoring can not be done by each category is a puzzle to me. 

3 minutes ago, VICIOUS, SASS#8014 said:

HOWDY; In IPSC scoring there are four categories and each is scored  on there own. With a click of the mouse I can see a overall for my entertainment . WHY rank scoring can not be done by each category is a puzzle to me. 

Because it won't work... 

You need a LOT of shooters to make it begin to work.  The accuracy of a measurement is largely determined by ow fine of discrimination the tool has.  Think of measuring a project with yard stick that is only marked in yards.    And the project needs to be dine within 1/4 of an inch.  How well would that work?

Or if the timer only measures in seconds rather than one hundredths of a second.

If you have a small number for the rank calculation, you will REALLY hate it.

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Ok, one question:  how do you break ties with total time?  

When it happens I'll let you know.  It has been close as I remember Evil Roy winning by .03 seconds over Solicitor General for the overall at Railhead back in 2002 or 2001.

Closest I done seen in 20 years shooting CAS is .24 difference,  still a clear winner .....  Up here IF there is ever a tie it is agreed that the one that won the most stages will be the Winner ...

Jabez Cowboy

With Total Time scoring, you don't break the tie, you break the trophy and each gets half.

21 minutes ago, CodyMaverick said:

With Total Time scoring, you don't break the tie, you break the trophy and each gets half.

There's a Solomon solution for ya.......   :D

9 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Now Boys play nice !!!

Jabez Cowboy

Huh ?

Just a question I have.  Are the ones that are in favor of Rank Points the faster shooters that have a chance for overall top cowboy?  Or do you think that shooters in the

slower classes also favor Rank over Total?  Just curious if it makes a difference in a persons viewpoint.  If it makes a difference that you are trying to grab the brass ring

or just trying to place well in your category and knowing nobody in your category has a chance to be top cowboy or cowgirl at a large match.

From what I heard from the TG meeting and from the post over the last eight years most shooters across the board favor total time.  The champions will shoot the match in front of them and there is a lot to it.  From what I know, there is a strategy to a rank pt. match different from total time. 

OREGON STATE 2010 

OR State Co-Champions - Mid Valley Drifter & Buffalo Wings - TIED @ 236.16 seconds.

No option for a shoot-off.

I called Hipshot and SASS HQ sent out a second OR State Champion buckle.

(Buckshot Shell-E won Oregon Ladies Champion) :wub:

ORChamps2010.jpg

What if one day of a multi day (3 for instance) match is cancelled......

You could have 36 posses that have all shot totally different stages.

What are you going to do with match if you are scoring Total time?

At this point, rank scoring, becomes a better method for determining a winner.

I like boxing, 11 rounds have boxer A up 11 to 0 on the score cards over boxer B.  Round 12 has boxer B walk to the center of the ring after the bell and knock boxer A out cold (la-la land) five seconds into the round, figure that one computer!  If memory serves me right, the very first year the change was made to rank points did change the world champion.  I say let the shooters determine the winner, no matter how dirty it might look to some that the guy who ought to have won but didn't.  

7 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

I don't believe you could determine a winner by any scoring method.

However; if there were any stages that everyone had shot then you could just score those.

8 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

If I understand the scenario correctly, then it wouldn't be fair either way, but with rank points at least it would be closer. Best argument for rank points I've heard yet 

Plant a seed.....

Thanks to Misties' magic wand and confirmation of the Wild Bunch, CAS will now be scored via Total Time.

Archived