SASS Wire Forum

which is better 45lc or 45 auto snake shot?

Trigger Mike

I run into snakes as well as other critters and have on hand 45LC snake shot and 45 auto snake shot that feeds really well in a 1911 and has enough force to cycle the next round.  which is more likely to have more punch?  

Trigger Mike,

about 30 years ago, I was a new 'varmint' hunter and was bragging to a seasoned Varmint shooter about my super fast 22-250 loads.  He was trying to emphasize the importance of accuracy, especially when reaching out to 200+ yards at a ground hog.

And here is what he said:  "That groundhog or crow don't care if that bullet is going 3500 fps or only 3000 fps.  When he's hit right, the result are all the same".

I had to share that because I have used both the .45 ACP shot and the .45 Colt shot, both by CCI.

There isn't much difference within the ranges that you might encounter a deadly crawler.   The results are still gonna be bad news for the recipient.... ;o

If it were me and my 1911 were reliable with the shot loads (7 of them), I would surely tote it around.

I would only carry my .45 Colt (Ruger Sheriff model Vaq.) if I think there might be an encounter with some big game dangers, in which I could keep some hotter stuff available.

..........Widder

I would think the Colt would carry more shot. Haven't tried them, but I've used .44 Mag and .45 ACP, neither was real impressive. I bought a .410 sxs derringer once, it wasn't much punkin either. Even with the 2 1/2" shells it kicked like a sunny gun, not sure I'd want to kill a snake bad enough to shoot it. Maybe since it practically had no barrel, you never knew where the crappy pattern was gonna hit anyway. Sold it at a garage sale.

JHC

Actually shorter is better.

The longer the barrel, the more the shotload spins through the rifling, the more centrifugal force opens up the pattern.

Maybe whatever you shoot better with?

I tend to leave snakes alone unless they are aggressive. 

Copperheads in a woodpile? Burn the wood pile and keep a machete handy.

Rattlesnakes, I walk away...except for Mohave Greens. They die by way of whatever is available. 12 gauge works best.

Water Moccasins, I go after with a vengeance. They get special treatment like Mohave Greens.

All other snakes get a pass.

Oh, I would use the gun you shoot best, Mike.

Trigger Mike,

Just a word of caution.   Unless GA has 'snake' listed as a legitimate game animal, it might be illegal to shoot them in GA.   

I say that for this reason: if you are ask by a game warden why you are carrying your pistol, don't tell them its to shoot snakes.   Thats a No-No in TN.   

Just thought I would share that bit of info.

..........Widder

Turkeys have nearly driven snakes to the point of extinction in our area.   We see very few and leave them alone unless it happens to be poisonous and near our house.  While I've shot a few because I had a gun at the time,  I don't see where they justify the waste of good ammo.  A garden hoe, axe or a sturdy stick will do the job just as well. 

hunting snakes is legal here, matter of fact a couple of places in town will pay you for them, one dead and the other wants them dead or alive.  Every spring we have a rattlesnake roundup.  there is a big fair and lots of snakes on display and rides and food galore.  they used to form hunting parties but snake lovers frowned on it so they are not publicized 

16 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I tend to leave snakes alone unless they are aggressive. 

Copperheads in a woodpile? Burn the wood pile and keep a machete handy.

Rattlesnakes, I walk away...except for Mohave Greens. They die by way of whatever is available. 12 gauge works best.

Water Moccasins, I go after with a vengeance. They get special treatment like Mohave Greens.

All other snakes get a pass.

Oh, I would use the gun you shoot best, Mike.

I ran into mohave green rattlers in California once while deployed in the army .  i view all rattlers the same.  I killed a diamond back in my front yard 30 feet from the front door with 12 gauge #8 and yes it does do well , another one while working on my tractor and a timber rattler in town a block from the church i pastor.  i killed him with a ceiling fan duster handle.  I can not stand a venomous snake and do all i can to make sure they die .  I have 4 small children, one is 5 , so I don't want any of them harmed by one.  

33 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I ran into mohave green rattlers in California once while deployed in the army .  i view all rattlers the same.  I killed a diamond back in my front yard 30 feet from the front door with 12 gauge #8 and yes it does do well , another one while working on my tractor and a timber rattler in town a block from the church i pastor.  i killed him with a ceiling fan duster handle.  I can not stand a venomous snake and do all i can to make sure they die .  I have 4 small children, one is 5 , so I don't want any of them harmed by one.  

Snakes and kids are a different story. Ya gotta protect the kids.

There's always this. ..

TaurusJudge_1.jpg

Archived