SASS Wire Forum

The Velcro rule

Roscoe Regulator

9 hours ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

adding thick angled padding behind trigger guard on shotgun from distance looks like part of rear trigger guard, 

Not sure I understand this one. Is this something other than wrapping the trigger guard with leather which is specifically allowed in the Shooters Handbook?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Shooting Bull said:

Not sure I understand this one. Is this something other than wrapping the trigger guard with leather which is specifically allowed in the Shooters Handbook?

On many model shotguns the recoil sends the trigger guard back against the middle finger causing sever bruising. Wrapping the trigger guard with a natural material is a perfectly legal cure to the problem as is covering the trigger guard with rubber tubing.

Page 5 of Shooters handbook

Shotgun trigger guards may be wrapped with leather or other natural material.

Vision and hearing protection are obvious exceptions to the rule.

I don't much care what other people wear or don't wear.  However; if the outlandish steampunk outfits I've seen recently are passable then penalizing someone for a bit of unnoticeable Velco would be just plain mean.

On 6/28/2017 at 6:51 AM, C0ckr0ach, SASS #26100 said:

Also, false teeth and ear plugs are made of plastic.

Thus, the Shooter must not smile and have hair over the ears to keep the plastic from being visible.

Cockroach, I thought your teeth were wooden,  did you finally get some new ones?

9 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hi MT,

I don't intentionally check out shooters' equipment. Sometimes, it just jumps out at me.

There was one person who shot with us several times (on my posse even) and I didn't notice his SG shell holder. One day it "jumped out at me." I told him it was illegal. It had one row of SG shells in front of the other. He went ballistic at me. He said he'd bought it at EOT in Norco and wore it there. He also told me I'd told him that before; I hadn't. I wondered why he was still wearing it though, if he knew it was illegal. The PM/TO let him wear it and I was told I shouldn't have said anything as he got ready to shoot. Sheesh, I was saving him a penalty by telling him he couldn't wear it. Well, he didn't get any penalties for it and finished the match. He even came to the SASS Wire and asked if it was legal, without a photo. Grizzly Dave created a facsimile photo and asked if that is what it looked like. He was told it was illegal. I haven't seen him at a match or on the Wire since.

Sometimes, it's tough to get people to follow the Rules and I'm not just talking about clothing.

Regards,

Allie

He moved to the PNW.

I ran into him at an annual match up in WA a couple years ago.

(I was "off duty", attending as a shooter, not as a match official of any kind).

Got the same response when I mentioned that it wasn't legal.

A WB member had apparently "approved" it at some time in the past, before the current equipment regulations were added to the SHB.

3 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

On many model shotguns the recoil sends the trigger guard back against the middle finger causing sever bruising. Wrapping the trigger guard with a natural material is a perfectly legal cure to the problem as is covering the trigger guard with rubber tubing.

I know, I went and read it before making my post. The handbook specifically says it IS allowed. That's why I was questioning the other poster who seems to think it's not. 

3 minutes ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

So how is nylon plastic and Velcro illegal yet the new elastic shotgun loops legal? Don't want to cause a storm but thinking about getting one from mernikle and don'twant to waste money

Rafe 

From Allie on pg 2:

Elastic is legal because it was in use in the 19th century and was frequently seen in men's shoes.

http://www.versteegde.nl/History_of_Elastic_and_Rubber_Bands.html

4 minutes ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Sorry didn't read page 2 my bad

Rafe 

Not a problem :D

26 minutes ago, Ventura Slim, SASS #35690 said:

leather, si, velco, no.  Elastic si, but note it wears out and gets a little loose.

So do we ...........  :(

11 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

I knew about wrapping the trigger guard in rear with leather or natural material for reason stated. What I observed and thought was wrong, (hope I can explain this). A build up, not wrapping, about 1  1 1/2"  extending rear of the trigger guard on a double. It made a cup, like were fingers fit, configuration changing the shape.  If I'm wrong, I have learned. MT

58 minutes ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

I knew about wrapping the trigger guard in rear with leather or natural material for reason stated. What I observed and thought was wrong, (hope I can explain this). A build up, not wrapping, about 1  1 1/2"  extending rear of the trigger guard on a double. It made a cup, like were fingers fit, configuration changing the shape.  If I'm wrong, I have learned. MT

If a modification is NOT LISTED in the SHB, it is NOT LEGAL.
REF: SHB p.3

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:29 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

PS Velcro wasn't invented until the 20th century.

Irrelevant.  Ruger Vaqueros weren't invented until the 20th century, either, but here we are.  Like I said in my first post, we wouldn't have Classic Cowboy at all if historic authenticity was required.

The OP's Velcro is not visible, by my understanding.  It doesn't affect his performance, and provides no advantage.  I say shoot on and quit being costume police.

11 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Irrelevant.  Ruger Vaqueros weren't invented until the 20th century, either, but here we are.  Like I said in my first post, we wouldn't have Classic Cowboy at all if historic authenticity was required.

The OP's Velcro is not visible, by my understanding.  It doesn't affect his performance, and provides no advantage.  I say shoot on and quit being costume police.

So, by your decree, only rules which have to do with a shooters performance are important and all others are to be ignored? Interesting. 

13 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

So, by your decree, only rules which have to do with a shooters performance are important and all others are to be ignored? Interesting. 

If that were true I would be absolutely safe no matter what I did.  :lol:

37 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Now all you have to do is convince the Wild Bunch and a majority of TGs.  Until then what you 'say' has no bearing on what's allowed and what isn't.  If that seems a little harsh it's because I get tired of people calling others who enforce the rules 'police' 'nazis' or whatever.  It gets old.  If someone gets called for a violation the fault lies with the violator, not the person making the call.

You know, this thread has made me wonder about something...

To quote the handbook...

"In addition to the above items, ladies may choose from the items listed below in order to compete within this category:

Period watch, split riding skirt, bustle, hoops, corset, Victorian style hat (straw allowed), period jewelry, period hair ornaments (e.g., feathers), snood, reticule (period handbag), period lace up shoes, camisole, bloomers, fishnet stockings, feather boa, cape."

I have also seen various ladies in what have been described "soiled dove" type costumes that are wearing non-fishnet type stockings.  In fact, I have also seen other costumes that just show off some leg and the lady in question is wearing sheer stockings of some sort.

All of them seem to be made of nylon.  Including the fishnets.   Do we have a contradiction in the rues?  Or a wide spread violation of them?

Hmm....

26 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

To quote the handbook...

"In addition to the above items, ladies may choose from the items listed below in order to compete within this category:

Period watch, split riding skirt, bustle, hoops, corset, Victorian style hat (straw allowed), period jewelry, period hair ornaments (e.g., feathers), snood, reticule (period handbag), period lace up shoes, camisole, bloomers, fishnet stockings, feather boa, cape."

I have also seen various ladies in what have been described "soiled dove" type costumes that are wearing non-fishnet type stockings.  In fact, I have also seen other costumes that just show off some leg and the lady in question is wearing sheer stockings of some sort.

All of them seem to be made of nylon.  Including the fishnets.   Do we have a contradiction in the rues?  Or a wide spread violation of them?

Hmm....

Not all stockings are made of nylon. 

My softball spikes were sorely needed to be replaced.  I bought a new pair with steel spikes before the season started.  A week before our first game our Coach passed out a list of updated league rules.  Steel spikes were now outlawed.  My slightly used shoes (practices) went to a garage sale.

I thought the 6 pound cannon would be a good choice for those stuborn shotgun knock downs so I bought it.  Then I read the SASS rule books and discovered cannons ain't legal.  I want SASS to change their rules or I'll put a lever on my cannon, brass the sides and claim it's a '66?

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

To quote the handbook...

Hmm....

well, you could offer to go and feel all of them to check and see if they are silk or man made material.  either way, they have the same look as what was worn back then and they do the same job.   velcro was not around at all and there was not a similar item at the time.  that being said, if it cant be seen, I dont see a problem.

30 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

Image result for cowboy boot flip flopsi

i guess these arent legal???

Nope - no tenny Lamas either  :lol:

tenny lama.jpg

7 hours ago, VICIOUS, SASS#8014 said:

Heck it is only cheating if you get caught.

Nope.  Cheating is cheating if'n y'all get caught or don't.  What would John Wayne do?

17 hours ago, Short Wagon said:

well, you could offer to go and feel all of them to check and see if they are silk or man made material.  either way, they have the same look as what was worn back then and they do the same job.   velcro was not around at all and there was not a similar item at the time.  that being said, if it cant be seen, I dont see a problem.

I am not sure, but I don't think various ladies to whom I am not married would appreciate me touching their legs to see what their stockings are made of.    But see, that's the problem, said legs can be seen.

And if you can't all tell I'm being silly here, "I am being silly!"

Hello Folks,

No one has mentioned being worried about Velcro. Most  are just repeating a very clear rule from the Shooter's Handbook.

If any of you don't like it or think it's not fair, take it up with those who clarify the rules, the Range Operations Committee or the Board of Directors.

Do not insult people who are just trying to quote the rules.

Regards,

Allie Mo

10 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hello Folks,

No one has mentioned being worried about Velcro. Most  are just repeating a very clear rule from the Shooter's Handbook.

If any of you don't like it or think it's not fair, take it up with those who clarify the rules, the Range Operations Committee or the Board of Directors.

Do not insult people who are just trying to quote the rules.

Regards,

Allie Mo

The proper place to take up a rule you wish to change would be with your TG. 

12 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

The proper place to take up a rule you wish to change would be with your TG. 

LOL! So true. I guess, as I'm a TG, I always go up a level.

Case in point: Last week when there were a multitude of threads on the TG Forum and the Wire, I sent links to all of them to the Wild Bunch.

Archived