SASS Wire Forum

Rules that apply to gun carts?

July Smith

Forgive me if this is something already covered, but are there any rules that apply specifically to gun cart designs? 

Gearing up for my first match and really need a cart to haul around the guns, ammo, etc. 

From what I have gathered most homemade Cowboy action gun carts are in a constant state of evolving towards the almost perfect cart.  My idea is to use a few leather rifle saddle scabbards that I already have on hand and attach them to a simple two wheeled cart for starters.  This would result in barrels down, action closed, and the gun otherwise covered and protected.  Would this violate some rule that I have not yet come across in the handbook? 

Most commercially available SASS gun carts seem to carry the guns action open barrel up.  Is this as per a SASS rule requirement, or is it simply because it accommodates the widest variate of cowboy style guns?

If guns are stored muzzle down in a cart, there is a concern about sweeping other competitors when the gun is removed and taken to the loading table.   I have seen some beautiful carts containing  long guns muzzle down or horizontal, but usually the posse marshal or MD will ask the shooter to remove the guns at the firing line rather than back in the crowd to avoid sweeping folks.   The guns should be stored in such a manner that a casual observer can see that the gun is not loaded; actions open.

To my knowledge, there is not a specific SASS rule about gun carts, but some clubs have local rules about muzzle direction in gun carts, and the gun's muzzle sweeping others going into and coming out of the cart is the concern. 

2. Safe firearm handling is the shooter‘s responsibility. The 170-degree safety rule is in effect. Muzzle direction is important between, before, during, and after shooting a stage. A muzzle must not be allowed to "sweep" the other participants at any time. Long guns shall have their actions open with chambers and magazines empty and muzzles pointed in a safe direction when transported at a match. A holstered revolver (loaded or empty) with the hammer fully down on an empty chamber or expended case is considered safe and may not be interpreted as sweeping another shooter while safely secured in the holster. Failure to manage safe muzzle direction is grounds for disqualification from the stage, and for repeated offenses, from the match.

SHB p.23

Most clubs would prefer that your guns be "muzzle up" in the cart. The thing is one has to be very careful not to sweep anyone with the muzzle as J-Bar said. Here is a link to the Rulebook: http://www.sassnet.com/Shooters-Handbook-001A.php

Please review it in regards to firearms rules and covenants.

I would recommend that you contact the club that you plan to shoot with and see if they have a new shooters clinic as well as whether or not they will allow the muzzles down cart. Many SASS matches are shot on ranges that are not owned by SASS and they may have rules that need to be followed.

The key is to be safe but don't get disheartened. Often clubs do have loaner carts or there may be someone that the folks you contact at the club that can help you with a loaner.

Welcome to the Fun! :D

Make sure you have spare parts to the wheel/hub assembly. Doggone critters will come apart when you LEAST expect it to and never in your garage, ONLY at a match and USUALLY far away from any other spare parts.

I keep extra cotter pins and washers for mine onboard. This has saved me mucho aggravationo.

Archived