SASS Wire Forum

Small Pistol Magnum Primers

Putnam Under

Is anyone aware of any CAS loads for 38 special that can use the magnum primers?

Some how I've found myself with 1500 of Federal small pistol magnum primers.

My normal loads use the regular small pistol primers.

Thanks for your help.

As long as you aren't loading above the mid range powder recommendations it should be just fine. If above mid range then I probably wouldn't shoot them on a gun designed for .38 Special only. A .357 Magnum gun would probably be okay but if you haven't loaded them yet go with lighter loads.

And you are correct regarding the posting of load data.

I use small pistol magnum primers almost exclusively in .38 Special reloads.  I use them interchangeably with "regular" primers in the exact same light loads, using TiteGroup.  I use the same bullet (125gr moly-coated, rnfp).  Some folks can feel a bit of an extra "oomph," but I cannot.  I would not be concerned.

I use  nothing but the small pistol magnum and more of the SP magnum match primers. I can't tell much difference in recoil, but they seem to burn the powder a little bit cleaner compared to the standard primers did. I use Titegroup powder too CB.

With light loads you cannot tell the difference.  We can only use Federal and use what we can get.

I use nothing but Federal small pistol MAGNUM in ALL my loads, both .32 H&R and .38 Special.

A few years back, I called a primer manufacturer (I think it was CCI or Federal) and inquired about the 'power' differences in standard and magnum primers.   The tech told me that the magnum primers didn't  produce 'more power'.    He stated that the magnum primer wasn't a 'hotter' flash but rather a 'longer lasting' flash to help ensure complete burn of powder.

This I do know from experience when I used Clays powder in my .38 special loads.    During the cooler/colder weather days, Clays would not give me a complete burn of powder when using standard Federal primers.

When I switched to Federal magnum primers, i started getting more complete, consistent, burn of powder.

Use em!

..........Widder

I have some magnums in both SP and LP that I bought back during the primer shortage. I've used them in 32-20, 38 special, 45 Schofield, and 45 Colt with Trail Boss powder and all worked just fine. I didn't notice a difference.

I of course use mid power loads, but I use ANY Federal primer that I can get, including standards, magnum's, or match primers.  I can't tell the difference. I don't shoot in very cold weather anyway.

RBK

10 hours ago, Putnam Under said:

Is anyone aware of any CAS loads for 38 special that can use the magnum primers?

Some how I've found myself with 1500 of Federal small pistol magnum primers.

My normal loads use the regular small pistol primers.

Thanks for your help.

For SASS level loads, you are fine.

OLG

5 hours ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

I use nothing but Federal small pistol MAGNUM in ALL my loads, both .32 H&R and .38 Special.

A few years back, I called a primer manufacturer (I think it was CCI or Federal) and inquired about the 'power' differences in standard and magnum primers.   The tech told me that the magnum primers didn't  produce 'more power'.    He stated that the magnum primer wasn't a 'hotter' flash but rather a 'longer lasting' flash to help ensure complete burn of powder.

This I do know from experience when I used Clays powder in my .38 special loads.    During the cooler/colder weather days, Clays would not give me a complete burn of powder when using standard Federal primers.

When I switched to Federal magnum primers, i started getting more complete, consistent, burn of powder.

Use em!

..........Widder

Check with Federal there is no extra power,  me and a couple parts each did our own test with chrono NO difference, that being said I believe the Winchester magnum primers were actually a little hotter but that's off subject.

AO

Hi Putnam,

Several people asked this at our club and Handloader Magazine actually had an article about it on their website. They said it's no problem using light 38 special cowboy loads with Trail Boss powder.  Everyone now uses them interchangeably.  I cannot notice any difference.

Mo

17 hours ago, Arcadia Outlaw SASS#71385 said:

Check with Federal there is no extra power,  me and a couple parts each did our own test with chrono NO difference, that being said I believe the Winchester magnum primers were actually a little hotter but that's off subject.

AO

Howdy AO.

Yep, that just verifies what I put in my post from the info I got from the manufacturer.

Thanks.

..........Widder

He stated that the magnum primer wasn't a 'hotter' flash but rather a 'longer lasting' flash to help ensure complete burn of powder.

Here's what they mean by a longer flash.  Usually with the addition of powdered aluminum or glass

GASRWSLR.jpg

I use both interchangeably, and can not tell any difference. As Widder noted, I also had better burn with light Clays loads using the magnums, especially in cold weather.

Thanks everyone for your responses. It's been a few years since I've done any loading and it seemed to me that I'd been using them interchangeably but I  wanted to be sure that I wasn't being unsafe.

On a different note it's mind boggling the rise in cost of powder and primers. Or so it seems to me. 

8 minutes ago, Putnam Under said:

Thanks everyone for your responses. It's been a few years since I've done any loading and it seemed to me that I'd been using them interchangeably but I  wanted to be sure that I wasn't being unsafe.

On a different note it's mind boggling the rise in cost of powder and primers. Or so it seems to me. 

You must've missed reloading in the Obama years.....

Archived