SASS Wire Forum

EOT Awards

Whiskey Kid

3 minutes ago, Two Irons said:

Im new to sass and have never attended a big match like eot/wr.  Also this is my opinion but awarding competitors with buckles 10 places deep in each division seems ridiculous.  In my opinion top 3 in each division get buckles or whatever the prize.  Any deeper in my opinion it diminishes the top 3.  Imagine if they gave out ten medals at the olympics.  I use other Champions buckles as motivation when i see them.  A 10th place buckle, in my opinion, is a paper weight.  This would cut down on the number of awards, and make the awards for the winners, much nicer.  Make a commerative buckle for the event and sell it to everyone else that didnt win if they want a buckle.

Two Irons:

Well said. As I stated in my original response, making a NAME for yourself is paramount.

Trickle down awards become "participation awards". Recognition should mean more than a buckle.

The commemorative buckle is a great idea and would clearly signify one's commitment to the sport.

I don't recall, the townsfolk back in the Ol' West looking at the gunfighter coming into town and seeing his belt buckle and saying "Look, thar's that gunslinger who done shot 12 men". It was more like them knowing who he was and saying "Look, thar's that Remington bloke that done shot 25 men in cold blood."

And by the way, most WANTED Posters never showed the belt buckle.

59525bc1da956_BillytheKidWantedPoster-RESIZED.jpg.641a12ff698c85b01e4349ba5ac2600c.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whiskey Kid....Cat...we here in the Austin area are very much aware of Whiskey Kids hard work and I personally think he is a very fast shooter. My own personal goal was to shoot a clean match. I stage

DQ ed on stage #1...totally my fault. Gut wrenching stupidity on my part. Disappointment in myself.

I went on to shoot 8 clean stages...still not good enough.

Whiskey Kid played the game and won his badge fair and square. It seems to me, if this change in awards is just a cost saving move by the club then the winners should be allowed to buy the buckle they have worked so hard for. 

I have always admired all the cool buckles I see at matches and think if the club was changing the awards then we should have been told that before the match, not after the fact. WK...I am sorry you will not be wearing one, you earned it and we know it....... Thanks Jim

Good grief.

I did not attend this match so I don't have a dog in this hunt but when I do shoot it is to have a fun time with my friends, hopefully make some new ones and to put my mediocre skills to the test .Sure winning is better than losing ,but how you win and or lose is a much more important takehome than an odd shaped piece of tin that may, if buried in the sand for one thousand years or so , be worth the price of a small hamburger . These are very first world problems

5 minutes ago, Jim No Horse said:

I have always admired all the cool buckles I see at matches and think if the club was changing the awards then we should have been told that before the match, not after the fact. WK...I am sorry you will not be wearing one, you earned it and we know it....... Thanks Jim

THAT right there is the issue.....not how many people went and didn't win anything, not how many people went to hang out with friends and make new ones and have fun, or any other reason.....I don't blame him for being a little perturbed, when if the change in awards had been publicized before the match the competitors would have known what they were competing for.  I've never been to EOT or WR...but if I had the chance to go, and put a lot of hard work into placing well in my category, I would have been more than a little disappointed too if I found out afterwards that what I had been expecting to win that so many other people had won in the past was no longer being given out.

(of course, anyone who's seen me shoot knows that I'll never hafta worry about it, but I still see Whiskey Kid's point....)

Lone Star Silversmiths will make a buckle to commemorate your win. I've had several made over the years and if you'd rather have a scarf slide they'll make those also. The Best Gun Cart award is usually a piece of paper so having a buckle made is a bit more permanent.

4 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Lone Star Silversmiths will make a buckle to commemorate your win. I've had several made over the years and if you'd rather have a scarf slide they'll make those also. The Best Gun Cart award is usually a piece of paper so having a buckle made is a bit more permanent.

Yul Lose:

Do they really give out awards for Best Gun Cart? 595268685ce12_Salivating-Emoji-RESIZED.jpg.c867f22c065a4fe4b6282c37ba9be4e7.jpg

If so, are the winners published anywhere?

Yes and yes. Check out the Cronicle in a few months when they run the EOT issue.

Yul Lose:

Do you have to enter EoT to be eligible to participate in the Best Gun Cart award? :P LOL !

16 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Yul Lose:

Do you have to enter EoT to be eligible to participate in the Best Gun Cart award? :P LOL !

You have to enter a gun cart at EOT to have it judged. You do not have to be a shooter, a Waddie can enter a gun cart in the contest.

while buckle vs badge is a debate I will not get into here,

but, I do not understand those that think the sticker part is "cheesy"

So you would rather have an award buckle ( or badge ) that just said WINNER  than one that actually says what you won ?

I have a couple regional and world buckles that say winner.  Almost hard to remember what I won or what place I was in.

And talk about cost, if you engraved instead of using a sticker, that would be a big cost.    maybe doable for EOT ( I do not know ) but for other levels this is not feasible.

Can't ever please everyone.

For those who are often in the awards, a badge that actually indicates the category is probably a welcome change over a generic 'top ten' buckle.  Gotta figure there are a lot of folks with boxes or drawers full of the things.

For someone who seldom, or never has made it high enough for an award, a buckle, albeit a generic 'top ten' buckle is the symbol of what they have been working towards, so a badge is a disappointment.

Push come to shove if I placed high enough and wanted a buckle I could order one from the SASS Mercantile showing event, category, and placement.  And those buckles are much nicer than any generic 'top ten' buckle I have ever seen.

Although I sympathize with someone going to an event and not receiving the award they expected, I also understand the tremendous amount of work a club has to do to put on a big match.  In this case it might not just be the money for buckles, it might be the logistics of getting a buckle or plaque with the correct place and category while still allowing people to sign up as long as possible.  Often a MD may not know that a particular category is going to fill until the last minute.  Making blanket purchases for categories that don't fill gets expensive very quickly.

Another thing that bothers me about posts like this is the impact they have on people who are volunteering their time and working incredibly hard so that the rest of us can have a good time.  The fact that we have to pay to have that good time in no way detracts from the sacrifice of those who worked for free so we could play.  

I know from personal experience how disheartening it can be to bust your butt to put on a great match and end up hearing more complaints than you do praise.  At the least I would refrain from airing my grievances publicly instead taking them up with the appropriate person(s) privately.

Hi Folks,

Just a thought, complaints provide opportunities for improvement. :)

From what I've read about EOT, the scenarios and stage design were great. Awards are the only thing mentioned (that I've noticed) negatively.

At our first SASS state match in 2016, we received several complaints. We put comment sheets in the shooters' packets. I felt almost all belonged "lessons learned" category. This year we received very few. One will definitely be changed as multiple mentioned it.

Like Dave wrote, you can't please everyone. However, if multiple people mention a problem, you would be well advised to consider a remedy.

Regards,

Allie

I detest generic top 10 buckles or awards.

Denote the recipients true position or don't award it.

You didn't win top ten; you were 1st or 2nd or 8th. 

Your award should reflect that.

Too many events prefer the top ten award for economics.  Too many shooters "prefer" the top ten award for the purpose of obscuring their true placement. 

They wouldn't brag/ wear an 8th place buckle; but proudly sport that top ten.

And for the person that actually won?  Their award/ buckle is devalued by everyone sporting an identical one that did not win.

Buckles should be awarded for wins.  Period.

Not saying that other placements are not difficult or respected, (I have some runner ups that I am proud of), but the winners award should stand apart.

And the 2nd, 4th or 8th place guy should not sport the same award.

27 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I detest generic top 10 buckles or awards.

Denote the recipients true position or don't award it.

You didn't win top ten; you were 1st or 2nd or 8th. 

Your award should reflect that.

Too many events prefer the top ten award for economics.  Too many shooters "prefer" the top ten award for the purpose of obscuring their true placement. 

They wouldn't brag/ wear an 8th place buckle; but proudly sport that top ten.

And for the person that actually won?  Their award/ buckle is devalued by everyone sporting an identical one that did not win.

Buckles should be awarded for wins.  Period.

Not saying that other placements are not difficult or respected, (I have some runner ups that I am proud of), but the winners award should stand apart.

And the 2nd, 4th or 8th place guy should not sport the same award.

Well Said

Cool thing about the badge is you can put it on a leather strip and attach to gun cart 

the badge is good for 2nd on down and as Appalachin Alan posted with sticker you could put actual place finished and category. 

I'm with Creeker on the buckle thing.

I believe the Top Ten Buckle thing set a bad precedent , now everybody wants one.

I also thing if your proud of your finish and don't like the award it would not hurt to buy your own buckle or whatever and design the one you want .

AO

I desire a top ten belt buckle. It has been a goal of mine since I first went to EoT. We are talking the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP match here not some local yearly match; top ten prizes are not participation awards. This match is expensive the buckles are affordable.

1 hour ago, Megeddo said:

I desire a top ten belt buckle. It has been a goal of mine since I first went to EoT. We are talking the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP match here not some local yearly match; top ten prizes are not participation awards. This match is expensive the buckles are affordable.

I hate to tell you this, but in a class with 10 or fewer participants a "Top Ten " award IS a "participation" award.

1 hour ago, Beartrap SASS#57175 said:

I hate to tell you this, but in a class with 10 or fewer participants a "Top Ten " award IS a "participation" award.

Math is great, glad you can do it. Unless you are a lady classes with fewer than 7 dont make. Most mens categories had more than 10.

2 hours ago, Megeddo said:

Buckles are meaningless if the shooters placement is meaningless. 

When the award is the same 1st to 10th, the commemoration loses its value.

If a shooter performed the best they could; they should be proud of their finish. 

And I have zero issue with any shooter that truly desires a buckle that brags their earned finish.

But oddly enough, I cannot recall ever seeing a shooter wearing an 8th place category buckle. 

But I see multitudes of top ten buckles proudly hung on belts; because some (not every) shooters wish to hide behind the anonymity of awards without category or placement identification. 

I like recognition as much as anyone.  But I want to be recognized for my actual accomplishments. 

And if I am not proud enough of my actual finish to shout it from the heavens; I shouldn't be hanging anything off my belt.

I used to be impressed with buckles. Now I'd have to agree they are participation awards. We need to go back in time and reduce the number of categories in order to make awards more relevant. Or, perhaps major and minor categories. When there are categories with so few participants that everyone buckles up they need to start joining categories. Considering someone could finish 11th overall if the top 11 shooters were Wranglers, number 11 would not buckle up and someone could win a first place award for a minor category win finishing 400th or lower overall, pretty much negates the term championship and defines cherry picking as a skill. Awards are the biggest expense for most matches, I understand moving away from buckles and going to pins or something less expensive or different. 

Keep complaining and the top 10 award might end up being history.  You competed you didn't win your category or overall your achivement is in the annuals of sass as being number x in your category.

11 hours ago, union jack said:

Good grief.

I did not attend this match so I don't have a dog in this hunt but when I do shoot it is to have a fun time with my friends, hopefully make some new ones and to put my mediocre skills to the test .Sure winning is better than losing ,but how you win and or lose is a much more important takehome than an odd shaped piece of tin that may, if buried in the sand for one thousand years or so , be worth the price of a small hamburger . These are very first world problems

Amen well said

Eot used to give winners a winners buckle and 2 thru 10 top ten buckles so it never detracts from the winners buckle.  I remember when frontiersman and cc had less than 15 shooters so while it was a true participation award for all categories it was for some.

1 hour ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Buckles are meaningless if the shooters placement is meaningless. 

When the award is the same 1st to 10th, the commemoration loses its value.

If a shooter performed the best they could; they should be proud of their finish. 

And I have zero issue with any shooter that truly desires a buckle that brags their earned finish.

But oddly enough, I cannot recall ever seeing a shooter wearing an 8th place category buckle. 

But I see multitudes of top ten buckles proudly hung on belts; because some (not every) shooters wish to hide behind the anonymity of awards without category or placement identification. 

I like recognition as much as anyone.  But I want to be recognized for my actual accomplishments. 

And if I am not proud enough of my actual finish to shout it from the heavens; I shouldn't be hanging anything off my belt.

Sorry my friend, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. You're certainly welcome to your opinion, but you don't get to force it on others. The very first time I went to Winter Range I placed 7th in Duelist. I treasure and wear that generic Top 10 buckle to this day and will continue to wear it until I can't shoot anymore. I might be the odd man out, but I'd wear it even if it said 7th Place Duelist. 

Grantland Rice/Quotes

"For when the One Great Scorer comes To write against your name, He marks-not that you won or lost- But how you played the game."

Some have seemed to have forgotten his quote. My wife always asks: "Did you enjoy yourself?" The trinkets that one gets or not gets at a match are, in my opinion, not important in the overall scheme of things. I've been shooting competitively for 50 years and have tossed/recycled many trophies over time. To me, they are just more stuff to add to the clutter.

Bottom line from my rant, keep the pin and move on.

Church Key 

1 hour ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:
Grantland Rice/Quotes

"For when the One Great Scorer comes To write against your name, He marks-not that you won or lost- But how you played the game."

Some have seemed to have forgotten his quote. My wife always asks: "Did you enjoy yourself?" The trinkets that one gets or not gets at a match are, in my opinion, not important in the overall scheme of things. I've been shooting competitively for 50 years and have tossed/recycled many trophies over time. To me, they are just more stuff to add to the clutter.

Church Key 

As you say, "enjoy yourself," I did! That's not what my post was about!  I am proud of my performance, and I had a great time and have wonderful memories of a great match put on by so many who donated their time and lots of sweat!  My disappointment although not huge, lies in the fact that, a goal of mine wasn't able to happen, as our World Championship changed the awards, unbeknownst to anyone!  I get that some people say get over it, and I will.  I get that some say its about the time you had, and I agree it is, and it was great!!!  However, no one ever asked anyone, "Did you pin?"  They want to know if you buckled at EOT or WR.  That is the expectation that has been established over about 35 years!  And yes, I would have worn my 4th place buckle with pride, whether it said 4th or top ten! 

I will continue to go to EOT and WR as they are the top of the mountain!  And that's where I want to measure myself!  Hopefully next year I can "buckle" again, and actually get a buckle!  Maybe one of these days with hard work and some luck I can pull of the #1 buckle!  Its a tough task, but I won't give up!  

Whiskey Kid

3 hours ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

Church Key 

Then why did you accept the meaningless trophies ( trinkets ) and take them home if they were just more stuff and clutter to be tossed/recycled??

I to have been competing for over 50 years and am proud of EVERY trophy, buckle, ribbon, gun and other awards for my mental and physical military and civilian achievements : like all my disabled combat vets  and other disabled competitors who have overcome disabilities to function/ perform  at extremely high and commendable competitive levels are proud of what ever  place they finish, EVEN IF IT IS LAST PLACE.!!!

YES, I would love to have received an 9th place buckle in 2015 instead of a TOP 10 buckle. !!

YES, I would loved to have gotten an 8th place buckle this year instead of a TOP 10 badge.!!

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

I see multitudes of of TOP 10 buckles proudly hung on belts; because the shooters were not awarded buckles with category or placement to proudly display both.!!!

Just a few of my thoughts

good night

just another thought,  " It takes a small man to put down the great accomplishments of other men" : Anonymous

SASS LIFE / TG

Disabled US Navy Vietnam combat vet,

2005 EOT Lever Action Buffalo Caliber Cowboy Silhouette World Champion

2006 NM state 3rd place Frontiersman

2007 NM state 2nd place Frontiersman

2009 4 Corners Regional OUTLAW TRAIL   3rd place SR Gunfighter

2015 EOT 9th place SS Duelist

2017 EOT 8th place ES Duelest

SBSS#1887

NRA-LIFE /NM CCP

KZ5PZ

4 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Sorry my friend, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. You're certainly welcome to your opinion, but you don't get to force it on others. The very first time I went to Winter Range I placed 7th in Duelist. I treasure and wear that generic Top 10 buckle to this day and will continue to wear it until I can't shoot anymore. I might be the odd man out, but I'd wear it even if it said 7th Place Duelist. 

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think we disagree at all. 

Your final line says it all.  You are proud of your finish (as well you should be) and wear your buckle to commemorate that finish and would still do so if it stated your position.

But I also know you well enough to know that you are never using that Top Ten buckle to represent your 7th place finish as something else. 

And I also (think) know for a fact that while a Top Ten "buckle" may end up the result; your goal has always been to win.

I have a couple WR top ten buckles as well. 

I'm not ashamed of them or my placements; but understanding the wide variety of possible performances that can result in a shooter earning one; from 1st within a category of 40 to being 8th in a category of 8.  I don't assign nearly as much value to them when I see them hanging off a belt as I do when I see a buckle denoting the category and placement details.

Strictly my opinion.  Others may differ.  

Reminds me of the Christmas vacation movie... 

Mr. Frank Shirley: “Bonus? How did you get a bonus? I cut out bonuses this year.”

Clark: “Yeah, thanks for telling us. I was expecting a check. Instead I got enrolled in a jelly club. Seventeen years with the company. I’ve gotten a bonus every year but this one. You don’t want to give bonuses, fine! But when people count on them as part of their salary, well, what you did just plain…”

Rusty: Sucks!

Mrs. Helen Shirley: Frank?

Mr. Frank Shirley: Remember how I was toying with the idea of suspending the Christmas bonuses? 

Mrs. Helen Shirley: You *didn’t*! Well, of all the cheap lousy ways to save a buck! 

SWAT Commander: That’s pretty low, mister! If I had a rubber hose, I would beat you… 

I need to reply to his post because I've been a member of 3 boards in SASS and participated in discussions on this subject (Bordertown, Winter Range and Los Vaqueros).

There are several issues at stake here.  in the advent of the now 50+ (?) categories offered at some shoots the weight falls on the club offering the shoot.  One issue? Try as they may... relegating categories to "must have 3 participants (ladies) and 5 participants (men)" ... to offer each category they are now stretched financially to cover the costs of all those categories offered.  Then there's the risk of minimum pariticpation in a category, so awards are ordered and life happens and there's only 1 or 2 that actually shoot.  Club is responsible for that category's awards, full participation or not.  

Other issue?  "This category is SASS approved...why aren't you going to offer it?"  So many shoots now are limiting the number of categories offered because of financial strain.  They want to offer shooters either what they have had in the past as far as free lunches, dinner included, free speed events, whatever ...  or offer something new...but can they?  And not ruffle the feathers of those that feel discounted because their category isn't offered.  Remember, it's always about we, the shooters, being happy with what we get.  It really is.

This is tough, guys/gals.  The only way to try something new is to try something new.  Asking 100,000+ opinions on change of awards could be a very scary situtation.  So, EOT tried something new.  Don't hang 'em. They gave us a cooled giant tent for awards and having to travel a boatload of miles after that ceremony, the difference in temp helps.  Not so exhausted from heat and hundreds of bodies making it worse.  That was 1 change I can think of off the top of my head.

This discussion comes up at I'll bet almost every major shoot - state level, divisional, regional and upwards.  I can't believe how many categories there are and that these big shoots honor almost all of them and the costs involved. I know my husband was very appreciative Duelist had an Elder Statesmen category...he's an old fart...so running with like-bodied individuals helps ...  HAHAHA...sorry, honey, had to throw that in for levity.

I also know how many feel that some of the entry fees are becoming exhorbitant.  But reading this post with its replies begs the question., "What's really important to the shooter?"  "If we spend a boatload on our awards where do we cut costs?"  "Do we raise our fees AGAIN?"  The awards business is just a business.  And lemme tell ya, those costs are on the upward move.  And fast.  Placques vs. tropies.  Placques vs. buckles.  License plates vs. buckles or placques.  So, I'll ask this question for opinion...what would you change to toss more $$ at awards?  It's a real question y'all.  Not being pissy here.  Those little things cost $$ too.  That Gatorade wasn't free and probably kept a whole lotta shooters upright and shooting.  Snacks as well.  Yes, some organizations will donate the costs of some awards or trinkets, etc. and that's fantastic!  There's still the costs of the rest of the shoot.  I've seen the financials even in our local club and over these last 6-7 years was very surprised at what it takes to keep things working and wanting to give shooters good stuff just to see their faces light up.  And ... that's it.  That's what these clubs strive for...OUR delight...the shooters being happy as they're walking away saying "I'll be back!"  We (the clubs, the shoots) want  everyone back and everyone to be happy.  That's really difficult.  So discussions like this can be helpful.  Constructive criticism good.  Whining sucks.  So, do it well ... criticize or laud...not whine :P.  If we ain't part of the solution, we're part of the problem.

That's my quarter's worth. Never been able to give just 2 cents!

9 minutes ago, Sassy Dancer, SASS #70118 said:

I need to reply to his post because I've been a member of 3 boards in SASS and participated in discussions on this subject (Bordertown, Winter Range and Los Vaqueros).

There are several issues at stake here.  in the advent of the now 50+ (?) categories offered at some shoots the weight falls on the club offering the shoot.  One issue? Try as they may... relegating categories to "must have 3 participants (ladies) and 5 participants (men)" ... to offer each category they are now stretched financially to cover the costs of all those categories offered.  Then there's the risk of minimum pariticpation in a category, so awards are ordered and life happens and there's only 1 or 2 that actually shoot.  Club is responsible for that category's awards, full participation or not.  

Other issue?  "This category is SASS approved...why aren't you going to offer it?"  So many shoots now are limiting the number of categories offered because of financial strain.  They want to offer shooters either what they have had in the past as far as free lunches, dinner included, free speed events, whatever ...  or offer something new...but can they?  And not ruffle the feathers of those that feel discounted because their category isn't offered.  Remember, it's always about we, the shooters, being happy with what we get.  It really is.

This is tough, guys/gals.  The only way to try something new is to try something new.  Asking 100,000+ opinions on change of awards could be a very scary situtation.  So, EOT tried something new.  Don't hang 'em. They gave us a cooled giant tent for awards and having to travel a boatload of miles after that ceremony, the difference in temp helps.  Not so exhausted from heat and hundreds of bodies making it worse.  That was 1 change I can think of off the top of my head.

This discussion comes up at I'll bet almost every major shoot - state level, divisional, regional and upwards.  I can't believe how many categories there are and that these big shoots honor almost all of them and the costs involved. I know my husband was very appreciative Duelist had an Elder Statesmen category...he's an old fart...so running with like-bodied individuals helps ...  HAHAHA...sorry, honey, had to throw that in for levity.

I also know how many feel that some of the entry fees are becoming exhorbitant.  But reading this post with its replies begs the question., "What's really important to the shooter?"  "If we spend a boatload on our awards where do we cut costs?"  "Do we raise our fees AGAIN?"  The awards business is just a business.  And lemme tell ya, those costs are on the upward move.  And fast.  Placques vs. tropies.  Placques vs. buckles.  License plates vs. buckles or placques.  So, I'll ask this question for opinion...what would you change to toss more $$ at awards?  It's a real question y'all.  Not being pissy here.  Those little things cost $$ too.  That Gatorade wasn't free and probably kept a whole lotta shooters upright and shooting.  Snacks as well.  Yes, some organizations will donate the costs of some awards or trinkets, etc. and that's fantastic!  There's still the costs of the rest of the shoot.  I've seen the financials even in our local club and over these last 6-7 years was very surprised at what it takes to keep things working and wanting to give shooters good stuff just to see their faces light up.  And ... that's it.  That's what these clubs strive for...OUR delight...the shooters being happy as they're walking away saying "I'll be back!"  We (the clubs, the shoots) want  everyone back and everyone to be happy.  That's really difficult.  So discussions like this can be helpful.  Constructive criticism good.  Whining sucks.  So, do it well ... criticize or laud...not whine :P.  If we ain't part of the solution, we're part of the problem.

That's my quarter's worth. Never been able to give just 2 cents!

Well put Sassy - 

Just a quick note to address something else that was mentioned in this thread, stickers on the badge/buckle to denote category and placement. If done correctly they look great. Creeker, Charming and the rest of the Eldorado Cowboys do it correctly. 

20170628_100740.jpg

Archived