SASS Wire Forum

EOT Awards

Whiskey Kid

I'm sure this is going to ruffle some feathers but I feel it has to be said.  The awards at this years EOT were a little lacking.  I spoke with several other shooters and they too felt that a badge with a sticker to depict category was a little lack luster.   This was my 5th EOT and I have been working hard to improve and get in a position to buckle at EOT.  I had been really close before and this was finally the one, only for my buckle to be replaced by a cheesy badge!   I was fortunate to finish 4th in Frontier Cartridge behind some great shooters, and am grateful for where I finished, but I can't help but be a little disappointed that I don't have the EOT buckle that I have been chasing for 5 years!

Here are the awards from our national championship and or world championship.  I was fortunate to finish 4th in both, so the comparison is on a level playing field. I think its easy to see who fell short this year!  One will continue to be displayed proudly, the other will likely get overlooked.

Sincerely,

Whiskey Kid

IMG_8294.JPG

IMG_8313.PNG

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

So how was the match otherwise?

Hey Duece, I appreciate all the hard work you and others put in!  I enjoyed the match!  I thought it was a little more challenging then years past but overall the shooting was great!  So kudos to you and Lasiter!  Well done on you all's first run at it together!

Just think the World Championship should out do the Nationals when it come to awards!  Some people are hauling a little trinket thousands of miles and others overseas, It just seems like they should have something a little more substantial than a badge with a sticker on it in their pocket.  It is supposed to be the Showcase for SASS!

43 minutes ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

So how was the match otherwise?

I wasn't there but have heard nothing but praise for you and Lassiter.  The stages provided a great deal of options for different shooters but were a very good test of skill.  I'm hoping and praying I can come enjoy your stage writing skills next year.

2 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

I wasn't there but have heard nothing but praise for you and Lassiter.  The stages provided a great deal of options for different shooters but were a very good test of skill.  I'm hoping and praying I can come enjoy your stage writing skills next year.

Would love to see you there.

31 minutes ago, Beartrap SASS#57175 said:

The flip side of the coin is that maybe there are other shooters out there who've already got more buckles than they can wear and like getting something different this year!:D

Well I'm glad you are so awesome and have so many buckles!  Most of us don't!

It's a bit hard to compare WR with EOT as far as awards go in that EOT had 8 more categories than WR (although WR will be adding Silver Senior Duelist in '18). Those big ol' shiny globes cost some $$$, I imagine. Add that to WR having roughly 150 more shooters ($30,000 ???) than EOT, sumpthin' gotta' give.

DC

2 minutes ago, Don Coyote, SASS #63736 said:

It's a bit hard to compare WR with EOT as far as awards go in that EOT had 8 more categories than WR (although WR will be adding Silver Senior Duelist in '18). Those big ol' shiny globes cost some $$$, I imagine. Add that to WR having roughly 150 more shooters ($30,000 ???) than EOT, sumpthin' gotta' give.

DC

The National Rifle Association sponsored the big shiny globes.  (I have no complaints about my top ten badge.)

5 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

The National Rifle Association sponsored the big shiny globes.  (I have no complaints about my top ten badge.)

See how much I know!:wacko:

13 minutes ago, Don Coyote, SASS #63736 said:

DC

Its always about money!  Like I said, 5 years I've been working towards a buckle at EOT, much like the previous ones given out for the past 30 years!  Finally put a good enough match together after 5 years of work and BAM, here's your pin!

I didn't expect to receive a good response from my post, and that's okay!  I'm willing to state my opinion and relay there there were plenty of others that thought it was cheesy but just aren't willing to say anything to not ruffle feathers.  It's the World Championship of Cowboy Action Shooting!!! The prizes should be top notch!

If funds were an issue they could have awarded buckles to the top 5 shooters! They could reduce the number of categories by eliminating the recognized but not in the SASS handbooks categories!

And it is all about money. Do they have enough to provide all the things they want? Or do they compromise on some in order to provide other things? As in unrecognized categories.

Or they can do more to get the attendance up adding to the available funds.

I can't wait for Cattle Baron, on Oxygen, with a slight limp category!

Ike

16 minutes ago, Whiskey_Kid said:

Its always about money!  Like I said, 5 years I've been working towards a buckle at EOT, much like the previous ones given out for the past 30 years!  Finally put a good enough match together after 5 years of work and BAM, here's your pin!

I didn't expect to receive a good response from my post, and that's okay!  I'm willing to state my opinion and relay there there were plenty of others that thought it was cheesy but just aren't willing to say anything to not ruffle feathers.  It's the World Championship of Cowboy Action Shooting!!! The prizes should be top notch!

Couldn't agree more, WK!

36 minutes ago, Whiskey_Kid said:

Well I'm glad you are so awesome and have so many buckles!  Most of us don't!

Whoa there, touchy! Don't remember saying I was awesome or had too many buckles! Just pointed out that maybe, just maybe, somebody else was happy instead of you.

I apologize if I hurt your feelings.

I have never attended EOT or WR.....but I would be appreciative of any award I might recieve. One has to remember that 400+ other shooters didn't get shit. Spent their money, just like you.

Just my view.

Whiskey Kid,

Let me start by saying I have not shot EOT, still a couple years away from being ready.  But, I was surprised to see badges instead of buckles this year as well.  I can understand your objections as I would want a buckle if I were in your position.

But, if you knew next year that the buckles were still off the table, would you still shoot EOT?  I don't want to start a ruckus, just wondering if it would impact your decision to shoot it next year.

Totes

I agree with Whiskey Kid. If most state matches can do buckles, EOT ought to be able to as well. 

As I recall sass will send out a critique for the shooters to fill out this will be the place to put things you would like to see changed. This may not be the place since the powers may or may not view it here.  A letter to misty would do more good.ut like was said some have shot longer and paid just as much as you did to walk away with nothing but the swag bag everyone got.  I remember when every shooter got a door prise now your entered into a raffle with one chance at a nicer prise.  Pardon the spelling .i used to hope to make the top ten in my category for the buckle also but I gave up on that goal and started attending for the chance to meet friends and shoot with them.  Now I'm not able to do that because of health reasons just be great fun your able to compete.

As a new shooter I'd like to throw in my 59519f1651939_2centsworth-RESIZED.jpg.50cf6b8d9f693ada58a7f9c924570bd0.jpg worth.

I can feel for Whiskey Kid in working hard trying to reach a goal (belt buckle) only to have it "snatched" from him.

On the other hand, my goal is to obtain notoriety. A name that is recognized for my accomplishments, not by a belt buckle. A SASS member who has their name etched in the annals of Cowboy Action Shooting.

This is what I am aiming for:

59519fd4f2912_DeuceStevensAccomplishments.JPG.26b7dd6dfcf798d330c01f5f32f6ae6d.JPG

First, I want to say congratulations to all the those that placed or won in their category at EOT.

Second, I would say that had I placed in the top ten of anything, I would have been a bit disappointed with a pin instead of the buckle that has been the standard for years.

I have been to Winter Range twice and EOT once, and came in 11th one year at Winter Range. It appears the competition is stronger now than years past, but when I get enough $$ and time off work to go again to either one, if I knew one was buckles and the other pins, I would continue to chase after a buckle for my gun belt.

In the case of my Regional , Winter range or EOT, it's all about doing well and I will only spend the money if I am ready to go and chase a buckle.

As far as the state shoot, it does not cost much, it is close to my house, usually there are some shooters I don't see very often there and have placed about the same each year which is ok for now. The awards I have seen at the Alabama state shoot have been top notch.

I am headed to Black Gold and Coming At Cha and that is all about the fun and the people.

7 hours ago, Whiskey_Kid said:

I'm sure this is going to ruffle some feathers but I feel it has to be said.  The awards at this years EOT were a little lacking.  I spoke with several other shooters and they too felt that a badge with a sticker to depict category was a little lack luster.   This was my 5th EOT and I have been working hard to improve and get in a position to buckle at EOT.  I had been really close before and this was finally the one, only for my buckle to be replaced by a cheesy badge!   I was fortunate to finish 4th in Frontier Cartridge behind some great shooters, and am grateful for where I finished, but I can't help but be a little disappointed that I don't have the EOT buckle that I have been chasing for 5 years!

Here are the awards from our national championship and or world championship.  I was fortunate to finish 4th in both, so the comparison is on a level playing field. I think its easy to see who fell short this year!  One will continue to be displayed proudly, the other will likely get overlooked.

Sincerely,

Whiskey Kid

IMG_8294.JPG

IMG_8313.PNG

I won my first State match a few years back and felt the same way.

Larry Earp, my Outlaw mentor and THE guy to beat, felt that way too.

So he went out and bought me a nicer badge.

I wear the one Larry bought me.

The moral: if you don't like what you won or don't think it befits the status of your win, go out and buy one that YOU like.

I know it sounds goofy but it works.

Waimea

My first EOT match and with my train wreck on the third day I was surprise that I came in 6th place and I to was a little disappointed myself I did not get a buckle so WK I'm with you (Texas State I came second and got zip)

But will tell you I will turn the pin into a concho so it will be worn on my gun belt 

4 years ago my wife and I attended EoT and both got buckles.

We attended this year and neither got in the top 10 of our categories. Tougher competition. a step or 2 slower after 4 years(ages 63 and 61), and we didn't shoot up to our abilities(maybe the altitude and heat).

I'd  have LOVED a badge. Leaving with nothing when I hoped for something IS a dissapointment. Didn't even get a clean match this year.

And yes, we had a good time, despite not winning anything. The stages were fine, problems were with us, and some equipment problems. 

Those who made the top 10 in your category- be glad for what you did get. A lot of us didn't get anything, other than a good time.

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

I agree with Whiskey Kid. If most state matches can do buckles, EOT ought to be able to as well. 

The state matches I attended (2) and shot in, class winners had to buy their buckles (if they wanted one), only the top man & women got a free buckle.

Like Minnesota Fats said, "If I wanted a trophy, I would buy one."      Jim

2 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

4 years ago my wife and I attended EoT and both got buckles.

We attended this year and neither got in the top 10 of our categories. Tougher competition. a step or 2 slower after 4 years(ages 63 and 61), and we didn't shoot up to our abilities(maybe the altitude and heat).

I'd  have LOVED a badge. Leaving with nothing when I hoped for something IS a dissapointment. Didn't even get a clean match this year.

And yes, we had a good time, despite not winning anything. The stages were fine, problems were with us, and some equipment problems. 

Those who made the top 10 in your category- be glad for what you did get. A lot of us didn't get anything, other than a good time.

I'm sorry for your disappointment, not sure why your disappointment is any more or less important that anyone else's! My goal like many others was to win an EOT buckle, one like the one you received 4 years ago, and like the many others were awarded over the past years.  You got that chance, we got pins!

13 hours ago, Whiskey_Kid said:

Sincerely,

Whiskey Kid

IMG_8294.JPG

IMG_8313.PNG

Whiskey Kid,

My suggestion is that you write a formal business letter to the SASS CEO stating your feelings. I suggest you also include/return the award/generic pin you received, stating why.

Since SASS knew early on that this year's awards would be diminished, I believe they should have announced this change well in advance.

Regarding the veiled intimidation and the smart remarks?  They don't deserve a polite, flattering response.  WK, you don't owe ANYONE an apology or anything close to it, for expressing what many are feeling.

To those who suggest that Whiskey Kid go BUY a buckle?  He already did; he just didn't receive it.

I think everyone recognizes, or should recognize, the excitement, work, time, the lifestyle investment we all have in gear, equipment, vehicles, etc., the family sacrifices, the resources diverted from other possible alternate uses, the risks, physical tolls, and the expectations every individual pours into a week-or-ten-day journey to a tiny little high-altitude backwater to attend and compete in what many consider the premier CAS event.  Then, there's the return trip home.  That odyssey deserves a healthy dose of respect.

These awards may not mean much or anything to some, and to others they are remembered and valued for a lifetime.  As such, the awards should be professional and tangibly worthy of the event  It's not up to anyone here or anywhere, to try to rub WK's nose in his disappointment.  

Cat Brules

3 hours ago, Cat Brules, SASS #14086 said:

Whiskey Kid,

My suggestion is that you write a formal business letter to the SASS CEO stating your feelings. I suggest you also include/return the award/generic pin you received, stating why.

Since SASS knew early on that this year's awards would be diminished, I believe they should have announced this change well in advance.

Regarding the veiled intimidation and the smart remarks?  They don't deserve a polite, flattering response.  WK, you don't owe ANYONE an apology or anything close to it, for expressing what many are feeling.

To those who suggest that Whiskey Kid go BUY a buckle?  He already did; he just didn't receive it.

I think everyone recognizes, or should recognize, the excitement, work, time, the lifestyle investment we all have in gear, equipment, vehicles, etc., the family sacrifices, the resources diverted from other possible alternate uses, the risks, physical tolls, and the expectations every individual pours into a week-or-ten-day journey to a tiny little high-altitude backwater to attend and compete in what many consider the premier CAS event.  Then, there's the return trip home.  That odyssey deserves a healthy dose of respect.

These awards may not mean much or anything to some, and to others they are remembered and valued for a lifetime.  As such, the awards should be professional and tangibly worthy of the event  It's not up to anyone here or anywhere, to try to rub WK's nose in his disappointment.  

Cat Brules

I thought it was a competition , many folks spend money to compete in this game / sport and many other sports or hobbies and bring nothing home.

AO

Im new to sass and have never attended a big match like eot/wr.  Also this is my opinion but awarding competitors with buckles 10 places deep in each division seems ridiculous.  In my opinion top 3 in each division get buckles or whatever the prize.  Any deeper in my opinion it deminishes the top 3.  Imagine if they gave out ten medals at the olympics.  I use other Champions buckles as motivation when i see them.  A 10th place buckle, in my opinion, is a paper weight.  This would cut down on the number of awards, and make the awards for the winners, much nicer.  Make a commerative buckle for the event and sell it to everyone else that didnt win if they want a buckle.

Archived