SASS Wire Forum

Sure Hit alternatives

Col Del Rio

Greetings All,

I was looking at Sure Hit front sight caps for my ruger vaqueros. Them seem quite expensive. Does anyone know of a similar, more affordable products?

Colonel Del Rio

In this case you get what you pay for.  Slick's sights are precision cut using expensive machinery.  Someone use to sell a similar looking sight that was hand cut from sheet stock.  The difference in quality was easily seen when the sights were side-by-side.  I don't think the el cheapo model is available any more.

They are worth what you pay.

I made a set for a pistol because none of the available sets will work on one set of pistols I own.  Cut up a lot of brass sheet figuring out how to get it to bend such that the part facing you is a flat surface the width of the sight with 90 degree bends. Then the search for an adhesive that will hold them on your sight. If you are not up on adhesives for metals you are in for more frustration as the brass you worked so hard getting just right will fall off and vanish in the middle of a match. BTW the adhesive is not inexpensive and the smallest bottle you can buy with last you a million lifetimes.

In the end I had a gunsmith replace the front sights with brass stock. You can make your own but the effort you will invest to get a comparable sight is more than what you will pay for the Sure Hit sights.

You could place a WTB (want to buy) ad looking for used ones in the Wire Classifieds.

'Course then you'd get your butt kicked.

Just sayin'........

Cat Brules

The sights are worth it.  Look at how many of the champions use them. 

You can get strips of .016" brass shim stock at a hobby shop.  Cut it out with scissors, and glue it on with a good high impact super glue like Black Max.  If you do this, be sure that the brass is cleaned down to metal, some of it has a lacquer coating that doesn't glue well.  Trim it up with a fine file the next day.

Harbor Freight has a small "break" about the size of small pliers, that works well to get good bends in the brass.

If you consider your time at say minimum wage, Slick's sights look a lot cheaper.

Another option is gold plating the existing front sight.  It's not cheap and doesn't make the front sight any wider, but it's GOLD.

Not easy to make & cheaper versions don't cut it ! By the time Sure hits get to Australia the price goes up again..but you know what we have 5 sets of pistols & 6 rifles all with Slicks sights ..$$ well spent 'cos they work & don't fall off ! 

I waste money on all  manner of things but these were worth it...IMHO

On 6/25/2017 at 10:33 PM, Col Del Rio said:

Greetings All,

I was looking at Sure Hit front sight caps for my ruger vaqueros. Them seem quite expensive. Does anyone know of a similar, more affordable products?

Colonel Del Rio

Hey there Col Del Rio,

I've been exactly where you are. When we were first getting started I was on that same boat. It was hard for me to spend "that kind of money" on those. I will very quickly jump in with everyone else and say that for me personally it was well worth the money spent. (and I am very frugal with my money). If that part is tight right now be patient and save it up.

You won't regret it. ;) Have fun with the adventure that is our game!

15 hours ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

You can get strips of .016" brass shim stock at a hobby shop.  Cut it out with scissors, and glue it on with a good high impact super glue like Black Max.  If you do this, be sure that the brass is cleaned down to metal, some of it has a lacquer coating that doesn't glue well.  Trim it up with a fine file the next day.

Harbor Freight has a small "break" about the size of small pliers, that works well to get good bends in the brass.

If you consider your time at say minimum wage, Slick's sights look a lot cheaper.

Another option is gold plating the existing front sight.  It's not cheap and doesn't make the front sight any wider, but it's GOLD.

Gold!!!   oh, oh, SHINEY

Chancy (who shots B Western)

15 hours ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

I looked into doing this just as Sure Hits hit the market. Not sure about now but at the time gold plating a pair of pistols was more expensive. The only advantage to gold over brass is gold doesn't tarnish. I've since put Sure hits on four pistols and two rifles. I'm 100% satisfied and would do it all over again. 

If your sights are blued carbon steel then you can do a whole bunch with a gold brush plating kit from Caswell for about $100.  If they are stainless steel, well that gets a bit more involved in time, money, and research.

I think the gold paint would be better as a first attempt to see if you're going to like it.  Hobby Lobby has a gold paint "pen" in the model paint dept that works like a big sharpie.  It would be a really small investment to try it out.

I got my sights gold plated several years ago I didn't like the added thickness that the sure hit sights added

I like my SureHit sights. They really have helped me with my pistols. I polish them when I clean my guns. They look very nice, too, not cobbled up. 

I used white out and and paint pens before... looked silly and not worthy of the pistols ;-)

Scarlett

I cut an old 45 case upen, bent it with pliers, and superglued it on. I filed the height to the top of the regular sights. They haven't fallen off yet. It's been about 8 months. 

2 hours ago, Gunbutcher said:

I cut an old 45 case upen, bent it with pliers, and superglued it on. I filed the height to the top of the regular sights. They haven't fallen off yet. It's been about 8 months. 

Have you got a photo ?

Archived