SASS Wire Forum

Duelists unite!!!

Rye Miles #13621

1 hour ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Here's what I was thinking (albeit, with some crude erasing to the original), without the swords.

I'm not a graphic artist, and you can see some of the erase dust on the edges. And, I've not stayed overnite in a Holiday inn Express for a few years.

Duelistbadgeconcept.png

:lol: Me neither. You should have seen me trying to put that thing together. Man what a pain... I did it on Google Sketchpad. I consider myself lucky to have figured out how to do it. ;)

Maybe this evening I will try and use Sketchpad again and create another....or not...

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, I like the idea of a "duelist group" to uniquely bond those of our categories together. 

Second, the name is of little importance to me.  I would hope a name that would present itself as an unfavorable acronym would be avoided.  For example "Noble And Daring Shootist" would spell the acronym "NADS" - a group I'm pretty sure I would want no association with!

Third, the gauntlet idea - or better yet, a worn leather glove - makes for a simple symbol, easily recognizable by other duelist.  One glove on a pin and that is it. 

As for the argument about knights using swords not revolvers made between 1860 and 1899, I'd ask, "What does a Jedi have to do with Gunfighter?"  They use "light" sabers for goodness sakes!!!  But no one can argue that the Jedi Gunfighters are a group to be reckoned with.  They have figured out a way to organize and survive and become stronger.  And every gunfighter I know wants to be one.  It will take good leadership and personal commitments to someday reach the status of the Jedi Council.  With this in mind a round table is not a bad way to form a governing body in my opinion.

Whether it be a knight, a Jedi Master or a duelist you cannot argue that in either of these groups one would have to work hard, exhibit a high level of proficiency and be cool under pressure to achieve notoriety.  And on top of that, Knights are Noble.  What's more Noble than shooting One Handed???

9 minutes ago, Hairtrigger Hayes said:

What's more Noble than shooting One Handed???

Being a Jedi.....:P 

sorry, cudn't resist.....

3 minutes ago, Calico Mary said:

Being a Jedi.....:P 

sorry, cudn't resist.....

Y'all shoot one handed also...just at the same time!

10 minutes ago, Calico Mary said:

Yep!  see, we iz duelists tuu....we'z jus tha ones that multi-task when we du it....

We multi-task too, but with transitions...tryin' to keep up with you guys

Howdy Hairtrigger Hayes,

Your kind words about JEDI's are appreciated.........BUT, watching a good Duelist in transitions is a thing of beauty and worthy of admiration of skills.  

The efforts being put forth by many on this Thread will, in my opinion, be successful and should grow the ranks of Duelist.

And it could actually help grow SASS/CAS.

And when that happens, we ALL benefit.

Best regards,

..........Widder

I do think we need a bit of a counsel type thing. Starting out we might not need much of one, but as we grow I think we'd need to expand it and let it grow with the club.

For now, a couple of people that can send out pins and the like would be enough.

Later on, I'd like to design some belt buckles and set up regulations on how to get one. I'd like anyone to be able to join and get a pin. The belt buckles would be something special for people that either do well in competition or set themselves apart as Duelists and Pards.

1 hour ago, Dorado said:

I do think we need a bit of a counsel type thing. Starting out we might not need much of one, but as we grow I think we'd need to expand it and let it grow with the club.

For now, a couple of people that can send out pins and the like would be enough.

Later on, I'd like to design some belt buckles and set up regulations on how to get one. I'd like anyone to be able to join and get a pin. The belt buckles would be something special for people that either do well in competition or set themselves apart as Duelists and Pards.

That may be a good compromise between all inclusive and a little more. I second that ! As much as it matters.

EMN

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

:lol: Me neither. You should have seen me trying to put that thing together. Man what a pain... I did it on Google Sketchpad. I consider myself lucky to have figured out how to do it. ;)

Maybe this evening I will try and use Sketchpad again and create another....or not...

If you're going to fiddle around a bit AND if we're dropping the swords, might I ask if you could fiddle up the gauntlet holding the pistol? That would cover pretty much all the desires expressed. 

Just now, Shooting Bull said:

If you're going to fiddle around a bit AND if we're dropping the swords, might I ask if you could fiddle up the gauntlet holding the pistol? That would cover pretty much all the desires expressed. 

By the time y'all get this figured out, votin' will be over. Only got until Friday. I'll add whatever you come up with but I'll be honest. If you look at the current results, you'd have an uphill battle.

This is a CMP "Custer" medal.  He's shooting duelist, and certainly from the old West.  When I was shooting a lot of Bullseye we used to giggle a bit about his form, since we were shooting 1911's he definitely would have limp wristed it.

IMG_0224.JPG

I've been a duelist since 09 and love it. Shot gunfighter for a few months but just wasn't exciting enough. Being able to think of all the different transitions you can do on a stage is what's exciting to me.                                         I do like Nicks way of thinking. But as far as emblems can we not Americanize it?  Instead of Greek or Latin!  I'm down with with whatever is decided. Just putting my two cents in.           And where are all of the ladies on this. Just seen one other duelist on here. 

15 minutes ago, ironmaiden said:

I've been a duelist since 09 and love it. Shot gunfighter for a few months but just wasn't exciting enough. Being able to think of all the different transitions you can do on a stage is what's exciting to me.                                         I do like Nicks way of thinking. But as far as emblems can we not Americanize it?  Instead of Greek or Latin!  I'm down with with whatever is decided. Just putting my two cents in.           And where are all of the ladies on this. Just seen one other duelist on here. 

That's been my problem with the whole gauntlet, knights theme etc. This should be Old West!! Let's be creative and not copy other venues!

On 7/5/2017 at 0:07 AM, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

duelist.jpg

The more I look at this, the more I like it....is he/she shooting with  left hand (facing you) or right hand (back to you)....could be a double or switch style duelist.. Silhouette (several posted versions)  can be what the imagination suggests to anyone (cowboy/cowgirl/left hand/right hand/style). Just not sure it could be used on pin, but could find use some where as time moves all this forward..   While I personally am just not found of gauntlet, or actually even the name Pistoleer name (prefer simply..The Duelist or one in IM's post). Regardless of my personal preferences, I will certainly go with majority.  My opinion is but one, so only goes so far.  We definitely have something on the move. yahoo..Thanks to all for their work/input... PR, Rye, Dorado, Widder, Nick, and others...

BB (duelist since the "get go", somewhere around 2000 in CAS)

24 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

The more I look at this, the more I like it....is he/she shooting with  left hand (facing you) or right hand (back to you)....could be a double or switch style duelist.. Silhouette (several posted versions)  can be what the imagination suggests to anyone (cowboy/cowgirl/left hand/right hand/style). Just not sure it could be used on pin, but could find use some where as time moves all this forward..   While I personally am just not found of gauntlet, or actually even the name Pistoleer name (prefer simply..The Duelist or one in IM's post). Regardless of my personal preferences, I will certainly go with majority.  My opinion is but one, so only goes so far.  We definitely have something on the move. yahoo..Thanks to all for their work/input... PR, Rye, Dorado, Widder, Nick, and others...

BB (duelist since the "get go", somewhere around 2000 in CAS)

I like the silhouette's that have been posted especially this one above!

https://goo.gl/mYzwzW

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Vote Here! Voting ends tomorrow! If you haven't voted yet please do.

I will not reopen the poll once done. I am no longer adding options.

https://goo.gl/mYzwzW

15 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Uh...What results? In this thread or did I miss something? :)

After voting in the poll linked above you should be able to see the results. As of now we have 11 options and 39 votes. One option already has 20 votes. I'm pretty sure that one's going to win.

15 hours ago, Twitchy said:

This is a CMP "Custer" medal.  He's shooting duelist, and certainly from the old West.  When I was shooting a lot of Bullseye we used to giggle a bit about his form, since we were shooting 1911's he definitely would have limp wristed it.

IMG_0224.JPG

I think he's going for a nose breaker or a brow beater. When that smokewagon goes BOOM he's gonna feel it right in the old kisser! That medal would have made for a good pin design though. Just with better form.

Voted.  I really like the Duelist Mojo.  Shot double duelist since day 1. 

Wire is not everyday, or every other day,  thing for everyone so I believe there are still many who are just discovering this tread.  Be nice if more were aware of the objective, but time limit must be set.  just saying....

5 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Wire is not everyday, or every other day,  thing for everyone so I believe there are still many who are just discovering this tread.  Be nice if more were aware of the objective, but time limit must be set.  just saying....

Yup. I set this up on 7/03/17 and it ends Friday night 7/7/17 at 23:00cst or 11:00pm cst. I figured that should be long enough for people to find this thread, read it, and vote on it. It's been active all week.

3 hours ago, Dorado said:

Yup. I set this up on 7/03/17 and it ends Friday night 7/7/17 at 23:00cst or 11:00pm cst. I figured that should be long enough for people to find this thread, read it, and vote on it. It's been active all week.

Good job Dorado!!! 

If you good Pards don't mind, I think I will not vote......... :D

p.s. - do you have anything that resembles Rachel Welch when she was in that western movie?  :wub:

..........Widder

22 minutes ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

If you good Pards don't mind, I think I will not vote......... :D

p.s. - do you have anything that resembles Rachel Welch when she was in that western movie?  :wub:

..........Widder

Nope...Just got Rye and Dorado...

Oh wait, Lookie what I found.

hannie-caulder-730x775.jpg

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Now that's a duelist

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Just ain't right.....go vote Wid, think I will vote again but for this one....now this a nice silhouette.

She's welcome on my posse any time!:wub::wub:

10 minutes ago, Dorado said:

She's welcome on my posse any time!:wub::wub:

You'd have problems with the Spotters watching the targets..... :D

BUT,  you'd probably have folks tripping over each other trying to pick up her brass and taking it to the ULT.

On the positive side, SASS already has some beautiful ladies shooting in all the categories..... ;)

OOPS, sorri.  Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.

..........Widder

30 minutes ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

You'd have problems with the Spotters watching the targets..... :D

BUT,  you'd probably have folks tripping over each other trying to pick up her brass and taking it to the ULT.

On the positive side, SASS already has some beautiful ladies shooting in all the categories..... ;)

OOPS, sorri.  Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.

..........Widder

Look at it this way. She'd always have a clean shoot!:P

SASS does have some beautiful ladies. Seen them for myself. There's a pretty one on the cover of the Cowboy Chronicle right now and she's one heck of a shooter as well.

Archived