SASS Wire Forum

Duelists unite!!!

Rye Miles #13621

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

What do the Jedi Gunfighters do about scofflaws shooting other categories??:huh:

8 hours ago, Calico Mary said:

yu don't hafta shoot GF 100% of tha time ta be a Jedi;)

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Okay so the whole thing is just a big scam huh???:lol:

Why would being a JEDI GF be considered a "scam"? 

We are well organized.

We take NO money.  We don't even solicit funds for fund raisers.

We recognize GFer's who have contributed to SASS/CAS by their involvement and participation.

If a JEDI GF wants to purchase a pin, its only the cost of the pin, plus shipping.   Actually, our pin designer and distributor (Korupt Karl)  has probably lost money on his investments of 200 pins and about 50 belt buckles.

Yes, we have a 'Council'.   The Council helps keep it organized and operates within the structure of its intended purpose.   Like it or not, that is something the 'Duelist' or 'Pistoleros' will have to consider as your members start to form.   Somebody (or small group) has to be the 'Go To' person(s).

And, we have a well run website.   Actually, its a top notch website. 

A lot of groups would do well to take a close look at the JEDI GF structure.

There's nothing 'scam'y about  it.

REY, you are on the right track in your attempt to have the Duelist get their due recognition.

Others, like Dorado,  are showing what it takes to 'Get R Dun'.

In reality, you are creating a position within the ranks of Duelist that many others will look too for your leadership.

And you are getting some strong, positive input from some of the more reputable Duelist around.

Don't let it go to waste because of any concerns it 'might' look like the 'JEDI thing'.

If its a positive thing for the Duelist, go for it.   There will be time in the future to make restructure changes as needed or requested by the members.

P.S. - your pin selections of #3 and #5 show a slight resemblance to the JEDI GF pin.   Not a bad thing, but are you sure you want that recognition?   :lol:

..........Widder

I think the name pistoleros needs to on the pin or badge. If you want t include a SAA along with the name that would be fine, just remember not all duelist use SAA some are using cap and ball revolvers or conversions.

Alright, I'll set up a poll for the pin design. I'll still need a few options.

1) silhouette cacd7952d24e28f78a65eb2a400ebf74.jpg

2) Single SAA pistol 125C%20GP%201970%20CUFF%20TAC.JPG Either just the SAA 3D cast or on a poker chip with Pistolero written on it.

3) Crossing SAA pistol stock-vector-vector-illustration-two-cro

4) Gauntlet ex. 866726aeed5284e0a8771713f84bbd4f.jpg I figured we could remove the floral decoration and replace it with a SAA and write Pistolero across the bottom or something like that. These were Cavalry Gauntlets.

5) Dueling pistolsBRAND-NEW-Lapel-Pin-Military-Police-Cros

6) Ranger Star pin Badge with "Pistoleros" on circle 20170701_202007.jpg I rather like this one.

7)Fem silhouette girl-in-costume-cowgirl-with-gun-for-mas

8)?

9)None of the above

Any more suggestions? Let me know. I'll get the poll started soon.

1 hour ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Why would being a JEDI GF be considered a "scam"? 

We are well organized.

We take NO money.  We don't even solicit funds for fund raisers.

We recognize GFer's who have contributed to SASS/CAS by their involvement and participation.

If a JEDI GF wants to purchase a pin, its only the cost of the pin, plus shipping.   Actually, our pin designer and distributor (Korupt Karl)  has probably lost money on his investments of 200 pins and about 50 belt buckles.

Yes, we have a 'Council'.   The Council helps keep it organized and operates within the structure of its intended purpose.   Like it or not, that is something the 'Duelist' or 'Pistoleros' will have to consider as your members start to form.   Somebody (or small group) has to be the 'Go To' person(s).

And, we have a well run website.   Actually, its a top notch website. 

A lot of groups would do well to take a close look at the JEDI GF structure.

There's nothing 'scam'y about  it.

REY, you are on the right track in your attempt to have the Duelist get their due recognition.

Others, like Dorado,  are showing what it takes to 'Get R Dun'.

In reality, you are creating a position within the ranks of Duelist that many others will look too for your leadership.

And you are getting some strong, positive input from some of the more reputable Duelist around.

Don't let it go to waste because of any concerns it 'might' look like the 'JEDI thing'.

If its a positive thing for the Duelist, go for it.   There will be time in the future to make restructure changes as needed or requested by the members.

P.S. - your pin selections of #3 and #5 show a slight resemblance to the JEDI GF pin.   Not a bad thing, but are you sure you want that recognition?   :lol:

..........Widder

Thanks for the shout out Widder. It's not much, but I'm good at ramrodding things. This is fun at any rate.

Rye was just teasing about the scam thing. Humor got lost in internet lines somewhere. I blame Al Gore, he invented the internet right?

I do think we need something like your council. Not in any official capacity but just so that people who'd like to join have someone to contact and get pins as well as possibly expanding the duelist category and getting people interested in it.

I had several requests for crossing pistols. Any resemblance to existing clubs or organizations is unintentional and coincidental.

30 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

I think the name pistoleros needs to on the pin or badge. If you want t include a SAA along with the name that would be fine, just remember not all duelist use SAA some are using cap and ball revolvers or conversions.

I chose the SAA as that's the most common pistol used in CAS. It's generic and easily recognizable. In the size of a lapel pin you won't be able to tell the difference between a SAA or a cap and ball. So long as it's recognizable as a single action pistol and a SAA is that.

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am not sure I can see your point on the gauntlet. If we were using swords I could see it but I would think a more appropriate symbol for us would be a single revolver or perhaps dueling pistols. 

My point has nothing to do with the weapons used, but rather the name of our category "Duelists". Originally a call to duel was made by throwing down a gauntlet. Add to that a single action pistol sets us apart from all the other categories in SASS about as much as a cowboy hat would. There's nothing unique about it. 

27 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I am pretty sure this is the same one that I posted yesterday along with the cravat pin with the same emblem. I think there are a couple of sources for these particular pins.

2 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

My point has nothing to do with the weapons used, but rather the name of our category "Duelists". Originally a call to duel was made by throwing down a gauntlet. Add to that a single action pistol sets us apart from all the other categories in SASS about as much as a cowboy hat would. There's nothing unique about it. 

I understand your point and the symbolism.  

I've looked at a lot of the generic lapel pins and it'd be cheaper to have them custom made and sent to one of us. The main advantage with the generic ones are that anyone can order one so that all we have to do is send a link to them.

As I haven't had any more options suggested I'm going to go ahead with the poll and get that started. Like the last one I'll have the answers randomized. I'll also run it for a few days and post the results.

People! People! People!

Poll is now open.

Voting will close at 19:00 CST Friday July 7.

Results can be viewed after voting.

Please only one vote per person. Check what you're clicking on as the order is random.

https://goo.gl/mYzwzW

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Click this link for the Official Pistolero Pin Poll!

11 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That Smith and Wesson gun looks a lot like a Colt...  :D

BTW, I renew my offer to do web work.  The catch will be finding someone that's willing to donate hosting services and a domain name.

8 minutes ago, JohnHenryQuick said:

BTW, I renew my offer to do web work.  The catch will be finding someone that's willing to donate hosting services and a domain name.

If we have to pay to maintain a web site then I don't think we should have one. Just MHO, but thanks for offering, mighty nice of ya!

1 hour ago, JohnHenryQuick said:

What about those free website hosting services? I know Google has one. It'd be nice to have a simple one to advertise the Pistoleros, to draw in members, as well as to maybe offer advice on how to improve as a duelist.

8 minutes ago, Dorado said:

What about those free website hosting services? I know Google has one. It'd be nice to have a simple one to advertise the Pistoleros, to draw in members, as well as to maybe offer advice on how to improve as a duelist.

I'll look into some free website hosting services tomorrow, gotta run now.

Happy Independence Day!!:FlagAm:

Happy Independence Day Rye.

17 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

SB,

Agree 110%. See my post on p6 , from 6/26, on this thread. We need some segregation from the whole cowboy themed everything, to make the non- duelist ask "what is that

gauntlet pin thing about".  JMHO

(stepping away from the bully pulpit now)

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'll look into some free website hosting services tomorrow, gotta run now.

Happy Independence Day!!:FlagAm:

Weebly has free hosting and good services if you don't mind weebly.com at the end of the URL. Several cowboy clubs use them

Well, I have spent a couple of hours trying to create a pin design...my head hurts from banging it against the proverbial brick wall. I guess my prowess on a computer is seriously lacking. Or I do not grasp what others call "intuitive" on Apps and Programs for graphics. Without going into detail which WILL sound like whining I will stop here with this.

Okay, what I was trying to do was create a design with a dueling sword overlayed with a single action revolver that had a gauntlet hovering over that with the word "PISTOLERO" beneath it...hell, I can't even explain it right...Sheesh!

Anyway, 

Happy Independence Day Everybody! :D :FlagAm:

Another option for a silhouette:

pistolero.gif

like that McC....the duelist

54 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, I have spent a couple of hours trying to create a pin design...my head hurts from banging it against the proverbial brick wall. I guess my prowess on a computer is seriously lacking. Or I do not grasp what others call "intuitive" on Apps and Programs for graphics. Without going into detail which WILL sound like whining I will stop here with this.

Okay, what I was trying to do was create a design with a dueling sword overlayed with a single action revolver that had a gauntlet hovering over that with the word "PISTOLERO" beneath it...hell, I can't even explain it right...Sheesh!

Anyway, 

What I pictured was a cavalry saber above a gauntlet with a SAA emblazoned on it with a ribbon stating Pistolero beneath that.

Is that about what you had pictured?

If I had photo editing software I'd throw something together to get a rough idea. I can go ahead and add that to the poll though if you want.

3 hours ago, Dorado said:

What I pictured was a cavalry saber above a gauntlet with a SAA emblazoned on it with a ribbon stating Pistolero beneath that.

Is that about what you had pictured?

If I had photo editing software I'd throw something together to get a rough idea. I can go ahead and add that to the poll though if you want.

That would be cool. Thank you.

All of the sites that say that you can design your own actually don't let you do it but they will do it for you from your pictures or concept but you have to pay first.

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Anyway, 

Well I LOVE the description. It incorporates all the best ideas in this thread in one simple design. 

8 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Well I LOVE the description. It incorporates all the best ideas in this thread in one simple design. 

Maybe you will like this. It's my attempt at what I was talking about. I finally figured out how to use Sketchpad with Clipart. Free Clipart so no Copyright issues. I think the scale looks close.

Drawing.png

I was going to try one dueling sword at an angle with the revolver crossing the other way and a gauntlet above and "Pistoleer" below but I can't figure out how to rotate and scale everything. I think something like this would be kinda cool on an antique gold or brass lapel pin.

It looks like the "three musketeers"... 

My .5 cents is this is cowboy and needs to be western. I really like the Duelist badge with a Pistol instead of the star in the middle. If you want to do a pin have you seen the WildBunch RO 1911 Pin? Get that done as a SAA or Cap-n-Ball with lots of smoke... :-)

12 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Nope, I'm a big fan of symmetry. Definitely needs both swords or it would look lopsided. 

Nice work Pat

Or, jettison the 2 swords and just go w/word "Pistoleer", the gauntlet and the SAA.

It does look somewhat crowded with the swords

Here's what I was thinking (albeit, with some crude erasing to the original), without the swords.

I'm not a graphic artist, and you can see some of the erase dust on the edges. And, I've not stayed overnite in a Holiday inn Express for a few years.

Duelistbadgeconcept.png

9 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

duelist.jpg

nice

Archived