SASS Wire Forum

Duelists unite!!!

Rye Miles #13621

Don't know if people want to pony up $25.00 for a badge. Nice simple design though!:)

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MASTERS OF THE BARKING IRON......................I like that

Been shooting Doolist from day one. In fact, my right hand got so bad with arthritis, I am now learning to shoot left handed.( That's real fun )

Count the Knarley one in....................

KB

Well folks the results are in!

In third place we have The Original Pistoleers with 12 votes.

In second with 14 votes we have Duelists!

And with a whopping 18 votes is the winner PISTOLEROS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Pistoleros - 18 votes
  2. Duelists  - 14 votes
  3. The Original Pistoleers - 12 votes
  4. High Noon Duelists - 7 votes
  5. None of the above - 4
  6. Shootist duelist - 2
  7. Pistolero de Una Mano - 1
  8. Coolist Duelist - 0

Voting ended today at 12:00 noon CST. I'd like to thank everyone for voting and all of the suggestions.

With that our official theme would be Roy Orbison's Pistolero!

Look forward to the next poll which would be for the lapel pin or badge. We need to keep this inexpensive so things the size of lapel pins would be best. So this is your homework for the evening. Find a pin that you like and post it here. I'll set up a poll again and we can vote on our favorites.

PEOPLE! PEOPLE! PEOPLE! Gather 'round now and lend us yer ears.

We Pistoleros need your help!

I'm looking for ideas for a badge/pin/icon to use for us.

My ideas are a simple hand, glove/gauntlet thing, or single SAA pin. Something cheap and easy to do. It'd be best if this was an existing design or if y'all would like to chip in a few dollars we might be able to get some custom pins made. Typically they range from $2-4 each with a 100 piece minimum. I doubt we'd get enough support for custom pins. I have found a couple of places that'll do custom pins in a 50 piece batch I'd be looking at around $100 for a 1" brass with 4 colors or less, 50 count batch roughly. Y'all let me know what you think.

50 minutes ago, Dorado said:

My ideas are a simple hand, glove/gauntlet thing, or single SAA pin. Something cheap and easy to do. It'd be best if this was an existing design or if y'all would like to chip in a few dollars we might be able to get some custom pins made. Typically they range from $2-4 each with a 100 piece minimum. I doubt we'd get enough support for custom pins. I have found a couple of places that'll do custom pins in a 50 piece batch I'd be looking at around $100 for a 1" brass with 4 colors or less, 50 count batch roughly. Y'all let me know what you think.

Being you checked this out what would a custom pin look like?

EMN

2 hours ago, Dorado said:

Good job Dorado, I'm looking into a few myself. I'll let ya know if I find some that are cool!

I don't like the gauntlet thing, I prefer the SAA pin, we are shooting SAA's not dueling pistols. I said before I'd prefer this to be an "Old West" themed thing. :)

That said I'll go along with the majority.<_<

46 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I don't like the gauntlet thing, I prefer the SAA pin, we are shooting SAA's not dueling pistols. I said before I'd prefer this to be an "Old West" themed thing. :)

That said I'll go along with the majority.<_<

I agree with the old west theme

I only just saw this thread and it's bounding right along!  I haven't had time to read every post, I skimmed.  As having shot Frontiersman and FCD for the last 15 years... ( I erred before that, then I saw the light...err...dark), I think I fit in here somewheres.  I'll have to keep up with the thread now.  Thanks Rye!!

When I first saw the reference to "Knight" my mind didn't go towards the Gauntlet but towards the chess piece, like on Paladin's holster!  Of course, he shot duelist.

hqdefault.jpg

3 hours ago, El Muerto Negro said:

Being you checked this out what would a custom pin look like?

EMN

f4401829f2.jpg

This is the custom antique pins offered by www.gs-jj.com They have an automated quote system and for 50 1" pin antique brass with no more that 4 colors we'd be looking at around $100 for them.  We'd have to have a design though. They have various types including enamel coated and others including 3D cast. The 3D cast would be about $200. The price per each goes down the larger the order.

Also they offer discounts if you don't mind waiting 10 or 15 days. 15 days gets you a 20% discount. 40 days gets you 40% off total order.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Good job Dorado, I'm looking into a few myself. I'll let ya know if I find some that are cool!

Personally I'd like a simple SAA or something like that. Maybe a SAA with Pistolero underneath. That or just a simple pin saying Pistolero. With custom designs we have many options.

10 hours ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

Can you shoot gunfighter once in a while and still be a duelist?

I don't know I'll have to consult with the governing body.......wait!......there is no governing body!!!!

I say NO!!!! Duelist or nothing!!! If you join and get caught shooting another category you have to pay a fine or get your pin revoked!!:P

6 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I don't know I'll have to consult with the governing body.......wait!......there is no governing body!!!!

I say NO!!!! Duelist or nothing!!! If you join and get caught shooting another category you have to pay a fine or get your pin revoked!!:P

May I add that one would also have to buy drinks for everyone...IN the Saloon, of course. :D

That does bring up a good point. What will we do about Enforcers? I mean, there could be a rampage of violators and no one would even know. Heck, there might even be folks out there that are so danged envious of us they just might get counterfeit pins just have the honor of wearing one! This is scary....But, I think I have a solution and I will volunteer to be the Enforcer...I'll need an RV, of course, and subsequent funding, nothing much, just enough to cover all my costs. But I would be happy too travel the country attending shoots on behalf of our esteemed group and make sure that anyone wearing a Pistolero (that is the name, right?) pin is in fact honoring the our code every where I go. 

Oh wait, I shot 2 handed twice this year....As my first act as self proclaimed Enforcer I do hereby declare myself ineligible and must step down immediately!

Wow! I saved you pards a bunch of money! Good thing I was onto myself right from the get-go, huh? :P

9 hours ago, Dorado said:

Personally I'd like a simple SAA or something like that. Maybe a SAA with Pistolero underneath. That or just a simple pin saying Pistolero. With custom designs we have many options.

How about a Ruger? OW! Who threw that?....Sorry, couldn't help myself. :P

Darn, just for kicks I tried to find a website to create a perspective pin design but I couldn't. They all want "your" artwork.

23 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

May I add that one would also have to buy drinks for everyone...IN the Saloon, of course. :D

That does bring up a good point. What will we do about Enforcers? I mean, there could be a rampage of violators and no one would even know. Heck, there might even be folks out there that are so danged envious of us they just might get counterfeit pins just have the honor of wearing one! This is scary....But, I think I have a solution and I will volunteer to be the Enforcer...I'll need an RV, of course, and subsequent funding, nothing much, just enough to cover all my costs. But I would be happy too travel the country attending shoots on behalf of our esteemed group and make sure that anyone wearing a Pistolero (that is the name, right?) pin is in fact honoring the our code every where I go. 

Oh wait, I shot 2 handed twice this year....As my first act as self proclaimed Enforcer I do hereby declare myself ineligible and must step down immediately!

Wow! I saved you pards a bunch of money! Good thing I was onto myself right from the get-go, huh? :P

What do the Jedi Gunfighters do about scofflaws shooting other categories??:huh:

4 minutes ago, Calico Mary said:

yu don't hafta shoot GF 100% of tha time ta be a Jedi;)

Okay so the whole thing is just a big scam huh???:lol:

12 minutes ago, Calico Mary said:

no, no, no, no, NO!!!!   We iz jus allowed a lil variety once in a while ifn' we wunt to.....:P:P

;) Variety is the spice of life!!

I think maybe we need another vote on the pin design since we seem to be split. What I'd mention is that we're sort of following in the steps of the Jedi Gunfighters. The Jedi are about as far away from the old West as you can get. I'm pushing the gauntlet idea because it's an actual part of our history. That's where we cam from. 

15 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

I think maybe we need another vote on the pin design since we seem to be split. What I'd mention is that we're sort of following in the steps of the Jedi Gunfighters. The Jedi are about as far away from the old West as you can get. I'm pushing the gauntlet idea because it's an actual part of our history. That's where we cam from. 

I am not sure I can see your point on the gauntlet. If we were using swords I could see it but I would think a more appropriate symbol for us would be a single revolver or perhaps dueling pistols. There weren't many duels after the mid-19th century in the USA as it had fallen out of vogue and charges for dueling usually resulted in a murder charge. There were some duels documented after 1870. My guess is, though it's not documented below, that they were fought using revolvers. In the duel between Luke Short and Jim Courtwright revolvers were used as 5 shots were fired by Short.

These are from Wiki-Pedia)

• March 9, 1877: Gamblers Jim Levy and Charlie Harrison, in a saloon in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Levy challenged Harrison to take it outside, Harrison agreed, and the two squared off in the street. Western novelist James Reasoner claimed in a recent issue of Esquire that this was "the most 'Hollywood' showdown". During the duel, Harrison shot wild, while Levy took more careful aim and shot Harrison.[9] Levy had previously participated in another quick-draw duel with gunfighter Michael Casey, who challenged him in an alleyway in Pioche, Nevada.
  • March 22, 1882: Wyatt Earp killed an outlaw named Florentino "Indian Charlie" Cruz in a duel in the Dragoon Mountains of southeastern Arizona. Although the actual events are still debated by historians, Earp left his own account claiming that after capturing Cruz, Earp told Cruz to face him and draw his weapon. Earp ended up gunning down Cruz.[10]
  • June 7, 1882: Louisiana State Treasurer Edward A. Burke was seriously wounded by C. Harrison Parker, editor of the New Orleans Daily Picayune, in a duel with pistols. After Parker published unflattering remarks about Burke, Burke challenged him to a duel.[11]
  • February 8, 1887: Jim Courtright was killed by Luke Short during a quick-draw duel in Fort Worth, Texas.[12]

I am not trying to start an argument or stir up trouble. If folks want a Gauntlet, then so be it. It's my opinion that since we use firearms dated between 1873 to 1897 that perhaps the symbol used should be of that era in the West. It is "Cowboy Action Shooting". In the duel proposed between Burke and Parker in 1882 rifles were proposed as the dueling weapon but pistols were agreed upon later.

Now, to be fair, of the Duels fought in other countries after 1970 many were fought with swords or single shot Dueling Pistols.

My 2 cents.

12 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am not sure I can see your point on the gauntlet. If we were using swords I could see it but I would think a more appropriate symbol for us would be a single revolver or perhaps dueling pistols. There weren't many duels after the mid-19th century in the USA as it had fallen out of vogue and charges for dueling usually resulted in a murder charge. There were some duels documented after 1870. My guess is, though it's not documented below, that they were fought using revolvers. In the duel between Luke Short and Jim Courtwright revolvers were used as 5 shots were fired by Short.

These are from Wiki-Pedia)

• March 9, 1877: Gamblers Jim Levy and Charlie Harrison, in a saloon in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Levy challenged Harrison to take it outside, Harrison agreed, and the two squared off in the street. Western novelist James Reasoner claimed in a recent issue of Esquire that this was "the most 'Hollywood' showdown". During the duel, Harrison shot wild, while Levy took more careful aim and shot Harrison.[9] Levy had previously participated in another quick-draw duel with gunfighter Michael Casey, who challenged him in an alleyway in Pioche, Nevada.
  • March 22, 1882: Wyatt Earp killed an outlaw named Florentino "Indian Charlie" Cruz in a duel in the Dragoon Mountains of southeastern Arizona. Although the actual events are still debated by historians, Earp left his own account claiming that after capturing Cruz, Earp told Cruz to face him and draw his weapon. Earp ended up gunning down Cruz.[10]
  • June 7, 1882: Louisiana State Treasurer Edward A. Burke was seriously wounded by C. Harrison Parker, editor of the New Orleans Daily Picayune, in a duel with pistols. After Parker published unflattering remarks about Burke, Burke challenged him to a duel.[11]
  • February 8, 1887: Jim Courtright was killed by Luke Short during a quick-draw duel in Fort Worth, Texas.[12]

I am not trying to start an argument or stir up trouble. If folks want a Gauntlet, then so be it. It's my opinion that since we use firearms dated between 1873 to 1897 that perhaps the symbol used should be of that era in the West. It is "Cowboy Action Shooting". In the duel proposed between Burke and Parker in 1882 rifles were proposed as the dueling weapon but pistols were agreed upon later.

Now, to be fair, of the Duels fought in other countries after 1970 many were fought with swords or single shot Dueling Pistols.

My 2 cents.

Pat I couldn't agree with you more!!

Alright, I'll set up a poll for the pin design. I'll still need a few options.

1) silhouette cacd7952d24e28f78a65eb2a400ebf74.jpg

2) Single SAA pistol  Either just the SAA 3D cast or on a poker chip with Pistolero written on it.

3) Crossing SAA pistol stock-vector-vector-illustration-two-cro

4) Gauntlet ex. 866726aeed5284e0a8771713f84bbd4f.jpg I figured we could remove the floral decoration and replace it with a SAA and write Pistolero across the bottom or something like that. These were Cavalry Gauntlets.

5) Dueling pistolsBRAND-NEW-Lapel-Pin-Military-Police-Cros

6) ?

7)?

8)?

9)None of the above

If I could get a couple more options I can set up a poll.

17 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I like the silhouette !!! #1

I'll set up a poll like I did earlier once I have a couple more options unless you'd like me to go ahead with these.

Archived