SASS Wire Forum

Duelists unite!!!

Rye Miles #13621

7 minutes ago, JohnHenryQuick said:

Rye,

You agreed that Frontiersmen are cool, but does that mean it will be included in this?  I switched from GF to Duelist this year, but I'm about 80 certain that I want to go back to Frontiersman.

Absolutley!!! Frontiersman are the original duelists!!;)

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I originally posted this I had no idea it would get the response it did! Hail to us Duelists!!! I talked to Pecos Nick and we agreed to lay back and see what happens for awhile. I'm not on board at all with the whole "Knight" thing. Our country never had knights and they didn't have guns. I was thinking of an "old West theme". Actually I was thinking of something much simpler than the way the Jedi Gunfighter thing is set up. I was thinking that me and maybe one other person could take care of the pins or badges or whatever and if a shooter requests a pin he/she must have shot Duelist for at least one year and promise to promote the "art of one handed shooting".

We also would have a document, a creed if you will, printed up and sent to them (much like the SASS document you get when you join and register your alias) I don't see a need for a governing body, I'd like to keep this as simple as possible. That's my idea of how this should work.

It's hard enough to get 4 people to decide on where to go for lunch let alone a club like this!!:lol: Keep up the responses, I'm not giving up on the idea I'd just like to keep it simple and fun. It doesn't have to be complicated.;)

51 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

We need to refer this to a committee :ph34r:

A committee "in absentia". Where is absentia anyway??????

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

We need to refer this to a committee :ph34r:

If you think it needs a committee and a board of some sort, you are welcome to take the reins and run with it!! I gave my idea of how I'd like it to be and I really don't think it should be any more than that. I'm willing to go along with whoever wants to move it along! 

How about this?

It could be an honorary "club", no governing counsel or president or anything like that. Like Rye said, maybe have a couple people to contact to qualify and purchase a pin from. No numbers or ranking.

Rules can be:

1) Must be SASS Member in good standing

2) Must be shooting in a Duelist category for at least one year constant

3) Must have SASS ROI or ROII Status

4) Must have completed one or more of the following:

• have won a match shooting Duelist (min 5 stages)
  • have shot a clean match shooting Duelist (min 5 stages)
  • be an Ambassador, either by deed and/or attitude. Generally understands the rules in what is acceptable as a Duelist.
  • ANY intangible that makes a shooter 'A Cut Above' as a Duelist.
    • Rule 4 Under debate.

I'll admit that I stole these rules from the Jedi GF, But they're good easy rules.

The Pin can be a Gauntlet or Glove to keep in line with being Duelists

How about 'High Noon' for the club name? That would keep in line with the old west theme without being too much. We'd be the High Noon Duelists. We'd meet at High Noon, aka join the club and that sort of thing.

17 minutes ago, Dorado said:

How about this?

It could be an honorary "club", no governing counsel or president or anything like that. Like Rye said, maybe have a couple people to contact to qualify and purchase a pin from. No numbers or ranking.

Rules can be:

1) Must be SASS Member in good standing

2) Must be shooting in a Duelist category for at least one year constant

3) Must have SASS ROI or ROII Status

4) Must have completed one or more of the following:

• have won a match shooting Duelist (min 5 stages)
  • have shot a clean match shooting Duelist (min 5 stages)
  • be an Ambassador, either by deed and/or attitude. Generally understands the rules in what is acceptable as a Duelist.
  • ANY intangible that makes a shooter 'A Cut Above' as a Duelist.

I'll admit that I stole these rules from the Jedi GF, But they're good easy rules.

The Pin can be a Gauntlet or Glove to keep in line with being Duelists

How about 'High Noon' for the club name? That would keep in line with the old west theme without being too much. We'd be the High Noon Duelists. We'd meet at High Noon, aka join the club and that sort of thing.

How about a hand actually holding a Single action? I don't agree with #4 personally, I think we should allow ANY duelists in as long as they have been a duelist for at least a year! Why limit the members to winning a match, cleaning a match, ROI or ROII??? I just don't understand, a duelist is a duelist if he/she never won anything or cleaned a shoot! What if it's just a shooter who shows up and shoots duelist and is not a "cut above"???? I say make it inclusive to ALL duelists! Let the Jedi GF's do what they want, we don't have to copy them! Just my two cents!

Just now, Rye Miles #13621 said:

How about a hand actually holding a Single action? I don't agree with #4 personally, I think we should allow ANY duelists in as long as they have been a duelist for at least a year! Why limit the members to winning a match, cleaning a match, ROI or ROII??? I just don't understand, a duelist is a duelist if he/she never won anything or cleaned a shoot! What if it's just a shooter who shows up and shoots duelist and is not a "cut above"???? I say make it inclusive to ALL duelists! Let the Jedi GF's do what they want, we don't have to copy them! Just my two cents!

Twas just a rough draft, open for debate and edit.

So, no #4. Easy enough.

And a hand holding a SA would be pretty cool, but would have to be fairly large to be seen clearly. That's why I was thinking of a gauntlet or glove. Typically you throw down a glove to challenge someone to a duel right? That's what I was thinking. It'd also be cheaper and might make people ask what the pin is about. It'd be a good way to get people talking about joining.

2 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Twas just a rough draft, open for debate and edit.

So, no #4. Easy enough.

And a hand holding a SA would be pretty cool, but would have to be fairly large to be seen clearly. That's why I was thinking of a gauntlet or glove. Typically you throw down a glove to challenge someone to a duel right? That's what I was thinking. It'd also be cheaper and might make people ask what the pin is about. It'd be a good way to get people talking about joining.

Dorado,

That's the same reason I thought the glove/gauntlet was the right symbol choice. A tossed gauntlet, or slap on the cheek with a glove is the "call" to a duel. Hence, duelist

We've got plenty of cowboy categorization, levels, specification, and nomenclature in this game already, IMHO.  

4 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Dorado,

That's the same reason I thought the glove/gauntlet was the right symbol choice. A tossed gauntlet, or slap on the cheek with a glove is the "call" to a duel. Hence, duelist

We've got plenty of cowboy categorization, levels, specification, and nomenclature in this game already, IMHO.  

Yup, I was also thinking that it'd be a simple, easily recognizable symbol as well as being fairly flexible. By that I mean that if a duelist showed themselves to be outstanding, either in shooting, ambassadorship, or as a person, that we could award them a silver glove pin and they'd be known as Top-hands.

I was thinking golden but there's already a well known golden glove thing.....

Someone mentioned wanting a website but lacked the funding to host one. We could use Google Sites, that's Google's free website hosting service. It looks fairly easy to do if someone with experience in such things would like to play around a bit with it.

Thing is we'd need a name to get things rolling. If we could get a few name suggestions I can make a poll and we could then vote on them. Give me some suggestions and I can get started on it.

Personally I like High Noon

Howdy again!  The more I read the various suggestions on what a pin or badge should say or represent,  I think

it should say DUELIST…….could have firearm type engraving around the lettering….. lots of graphic design possibilities.

For example, I have a very nice "ROYAL ORDER OF THE BISLEY" badge type that could work.  Can post a picture if I can figure out how.  I'm thinking, without the word DUELIST, I'm afraid the meaning of a badge/pin might just be vague and the point or purpose, a little lost……... My 2 cents!  

49 minutes ago, Calico Mary said:

for a website (if it ever got that far) they could use highnoonduelists.com or sumthin' like that......

I like the name. I'm not giving up on this, it's just in it's infant stage, well, actually not even hatched yet!!:P We'll keep plugging away at this! It's hard enough to get 4 or five people to agree on where to go for lunch!!:lol:

well, I hope you half-gunfighters duelists do get something up and running....big task to start with for sure, but worth the effort for y'all.....I wish ya tha best of luck.....;)

but I'm still stickin' wit gunfighter!:P

(to all you duelists except Rye, I do have a lot of respect for you....but if I didn't give Rye a hard time he'd think I was mad at him or sumthin)

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

If you think it needs a committee and a board of some sort, you are welcome to take the reins and run with it!! I gave my idea of how I'd like it to be and I really don't think it should be any more than that. I'm willing to go along with whoever wants to move it along! 

I'm sorry Rye. That was total sarcasm. Unfortunately that doesn't always come through on the interwebs. Please accept my apology. I'll back off.

2 hours ago, Bandera Kid said:

Howdy again!  The more I read the various suggestions on what a pin or badge should say or represent,  I think

it should say DUELIST…….could have firearm type engraving around the lettering….. lots of graphic design possibilities.

For example, I have a very nice "ROYAL ORDER OF THE BISLEY" badge type that could work.  Can post a picture if I can figure out how.  I'm thinking, without the word DUELIST, I'm afraid the meaning of a badge/pin might just be vague and the point or purpose, a little lost……... My 2 cents!  

Bandera, if you want you can send me the picture through email and I can post it for you.

What could be done for the pin would be a simple glove with "DUELIST" or "HIGH NOON" printed on it. Like Rye I'm into keeping it simple.

2 hours ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

There is already a 'Highnoon.com' that exist.

..........Widder

Doesn't have to be Highnoon.com, there's always .net .org and others.

44 minutes ago, Calico Mary said:

well, I hope you half-gunfighters duelists do get something up and running....big task to start with for sure, but worth the effort for y'all.....I wish ya tha best of luck.....;)

but I'm still stickin' wit gunfighter!:P

(to all you duelists except Rye, I do have a lot of respect for you....but if I didn't give Rye a hard time he'd think I was mad at him or sumthin)

Mrs. Mary, I'm convinced that you gunfighters are just overcompensating Duelists. Y'all are just trying too hard. :ph34r:

Seems the High Noon name I came up with is taking hold. If Y'all want we can run with that. Sound good?

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

What he said.  The LAST thing we need is some arbitrary judgement of who is worthy.

EDIT:  Allow me to moderate that a bit because it sounds like an attack on the Jedi's and it's not.  They have set up a system of exclusivity and if that's what they want, then by golly that's what they should have.  In fact, I nominated one of them because I felt that cowboy was particularly deserving of being "above and beyond" recognition. 

What I am saying that this should not be an exclusive club.  I am never going to be a match winner and with two jobs, I do not have the time to go above and beyond.  Maybe it'll be different once I retire, but for now, I try to be friendly to all and have fun.  If that does not qualify me, then I want no part of it.

I hope other Duelists see it the same way.

Rye, I shot duelist last year.
Going with Classic Cowboy this year.
If you look at my times, you'll see I'm really getting my money's worth at these matches.

2 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

I'm sorry Rye. That was total sarcasm. Unfortunately that doesn't always come through on the interwebs. Please accept my apology. I'll back off.

No apology needed at all! I wasn't being snarky when I said if you want to run with it go ahed! I was serious!!:) I need all the help I can get!!:lol:

Just now, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I need all the help I can get!!:lol:

I wish to point out that I was NOT the one who posted that......

Although I still kind of favor the old SUDDS title, League of One Hand Shooters is "catchy" and signifies the idea.  Although possibly unimportant in the SASS world, I would suggest not to use the term Shootist since there actually is a Shootist organization within the shooting world.

The Shootists is an organization founded in 1985 by author John Taffin  and 11 other noted pistoleros, A number of The Shootists members are writers and/or representatives of the gun/shooting industry, but all, no matter their given profession, share a common love of handguns & shooting, and are considered to possess, as part of their motto suggests, those one could "ride the river" with. I was honored to be inducted into this organization in 1999.  A number of SASS members, such as my friend, Boggus Deal, are members of this organization.. 

I'll put this out again. If y'all will come up with 5 or 6 names for the club, I can make a poll and we can all vote on them. So far:
1) High Noon

2) Pistolero de Una Mano

3) The Originals

4) ???

5) ???

6 )???

Rye, if there's anything I can do to help let me know. I think this would be fun. Or, as our defacto president, if you'd like to make an executive decision on that we can get one point settled.

2 hours ago, Calico Mary said:

wuz I supposed to??

Yes!!! It's called the cowboy/cowgirl way!!:P

9 hours ago, Dorado said:

I'll put this out again. If y'all will come up with 5 or 6 names for the club, I can make a poll and we can all vote on them. So far:
1) High Noon

2) Pistolero de Una Mano

3) The Originals

4) ???

5) ???

6 )???

Rye, if there's anything I can do to help let me know. I think this would be fun. Or, as our defacto president, if you'd like to make an executive decision on that we can get one point settled.

A poll would be helpful!

I propose:

#4 Shootist Duelists

#5 Coolist Duelists

#6 Duelists

14 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yes!!! It's called the cowboy/cowgirl way!!:P

I dunt think givin' yu a heart attack wud be tha cowgirl way neither....yer fellow duelists needs ya!!  fer whut i'z not real shur.....:unsure:

Could just keep it simple as #6 above, Duelists, or "The Duelists"

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:38 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Perhaps a silhouette of a duelist like this image. I found this on line and does not appear copyrighted but perhaps something like this made from a photo of an actual SASS Duelist? I tried to find a side angle shot but the only good ones I found were either copyrighted or were images of guys in top hats.

cowboy silhouette.jpg

Pat Riot,

Good job. This silhouette can be viewed as left handed shooter, or right handed shooter and hence covers duelist and double duelists.

Archived