SASS Wire Forum

Duelists unite!!!

Rye Miles #13621

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Lefty Lobo Lee SASS #40314 said:

What are the requirements to become Jedi? For shooting not from the movies.

I'd like a pirate type theme name personally. Order of the Black Pearl

my 2 cents

Lefty

Lefty, Here is our Jedi Gunfighter website: http://www.shootingbums.org/jedi/ It explains pretry much everything.

I have shot double duelist since I started CAS 11 years ago.  My first match I saw someone shooting that way and asked him why.  He said he was trained in law enforcement to shoot with either hand.  I got to thinking that in the old west either a shootist if wounded or cowboy on horseback might have reason to be able to shoot with either hand so that is the way I started.

Every Duelist I know is pretty darned independent. They do this a bit differently from everyone else. Duelists are no better than anyone else but they are not less than anyone else. Most Duelists I know have tried different shooting styles but decided to take the somewhat unique path of shooting a style that takes a bit more concentration but speed isn't so much the goal until they have their technique a bit more honed. Of course one could say that about Gunfighter or Shooting 2 handed. The point is Duelists do what they do because they love it.

They, no, WE shoot the way we do because, in my opinion, it reflects the old ways. It reflects style. There is a certain determination to it and little chaos. 

We shoot this way because we want to. We do not follow trends. We also do it because many don't. We like to be different yet part of the whole. 

I know now for my part I love being a shootist that shoots duelist because let's face it. Duelists ARE the Coolest!:D

EDITED...Got a little carried away. Apologies.

-soapbox clear-

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Okay, I have to ask. What is the fascination with this Jedi thing?

No offense meant but every Duelist I know is pretty darned independent. They do this a bit differently from everyone else. Duelist are no better than anyone else but they are not less than anyone else. Most Duelists I know have tried different shooting styles but decided to take the somewhat unique path of shooting a style that takes a bit more concentration but speed isn't so much the goal until they have their technique a bit more honed. Of course one could say that about Gunfighter or Modern-2 handed- Weaver - whatever name you like. The point is Duelists do what they do because they don't follow other's leads or because it's "Super Cool". 

They, no, WE shoot the way we do because, in my opinion, it reflects the old ways. It reflects style. There is a certain determination to it and little chaos. 

We shoot this way because we want to. We do not follow trends. We also do it because many don't. We like to be different yet part of the whole. 

I know now for my part I love being a shootist that shoots duelist because let's face it. Duelists ARE the Coolest!:D

-soapbox clear-

Pat,

to preserve the integrity of this thread on Duelist, I will try to send you a PM or email tomorrow concerning JEDI's and their creation and history.  

..........Widder

Widder, and Everyone, I got a little carried away with my previous post and edited it. I was trying to be flippant but after seeing Widder's post and rereading mine I felt bad as I did not to insult anyone but I can see where my post might just do that.

I left Widder's quote of my post intact as I do not feel it's my place to modify another's post when that person has called me on mine. My apologies. 

Kindest Regards,

Pat Riot.

I talked to Pecos Nick last night and we discussed his idea of a "Knight themed" group with a round table etc. (see his earlier posts) Myself while I think it's a pretty good idea I had something more "old west" in mind. I mean, Knights didn't even have guns!!! I like the Shootist title and I see no need for a governing body like a round table. I would happily take care of getting the lapel pins together and with some help we could write up some simple rules to join the group something like the Gunfighters have.

Ex: You must have been a duelist for at least one whole year

You must be a SASS Member

You must promise to promote the art of one handed shooting

Don't shoot another category especially while wearing your "Shootist" pin!! :)

Just some ideas.........I'd like to keep it as simple as possible. The rules for being a Jedi GF are pretty close to what I'd like.... check 'em out!

Rye

38 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I talked to Pecos Nick last night and we discussed his idea of a "Knight themed" group with a round table etc. (see his earlier posts) Myself while I think it's a pretty good idea I had something more "old west" in mind. I mean, Knights didn't even have guns!!! I like the Shootist title and I see no need for a governing body like a round table. I would happily take care of getting the lapel pins together and with some help we could write up some simple rules to join the group something like the Gunfighters have.

Ex: You must have been a duelist for at least one whole year

You must be a SASS Member

You must promise to promote the art of one handed shooting

Don't shoot another category especially while wearing your "Shootist" pin!! :)

Just some ideas.........I'd like to keep it as simple as possible. The rules for being a Jedi GF are pretty close to what I'd like.... check 'em out!

Rye

I don't know if i would dismiss the idea of a council. If the thought is to have diffrent rank or class of Duelist. If there was going to be a Duelist of the year. Otherwise imo its buying a pin and adding a name to a web page. Again just my opinion it looks like most like the idea of some type of governing body.

EMN

6 minutes ago, El Muerto Negro said:

I don't know if i would dismiss the idea of a council. If the thought is to have diffrent rank or class of Duelist. If there was going to be a Duelist of the year. Otherwise imo its buying a pin and adding a name to a web page. Again just my opinion it looks like most like the idea of some type of governing body.

EMN

True enough but this could be a huge undertaking! I had no idea it would generate this much interest!

Is there anyone else who would like to take the reins of this? A website and council and duelist of the year etc etc. is a little much for me to handle. 

Started the game like most shooting two handed but last year committed to shooting frontier cartridge duelist full time.  Shoot all local, state and regional matches duelist now. Even shot Winter Range duelist. Would have liked to shoot gunfighter but left hand injuries prevent that. Would love to see a group organized. Count me in. 

image.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

True enough but this could be a huge undertaking! I had no idea it would generate this much interest!

Is there anyone else who would like to take the reins of this? A website and council and duelist of the year etc etc. is a little much for me to handle. 

I'd help ya out Rye....but I'z never shot duelist and I taint about ta give up GF......

58 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Im willing to help out for sure.

EMN

Great to read all the ideas to promote Duelist shooting!  I'm thinking the word "DUELIST" pretty much covers all

the one handed shooting styles and issues and is a term everyone recognizes - I think that's what a pin or buckle should

say - would be clear………. could have smaller letters in a circle around DUELIST listing all the categories or maybe

your category as you see with marksmanship medals - just some thoughts - looking forward to more developments!

Bandera Kid, I like your idea but, I'd like to throw out a topic for conversation re: badges/pins.  If we simply put a word on a badge such as Duelist, the meaning is obvious and doesn't spark any curiosity.  On the other hand, if we put a picture or symbol on the badge people will be more likely to ask, "What's that for?"  This is an easy and obvious conversation starter on the subject of Duelist. 

54 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Bandera Kid, I like your idea but, I'd like to throw out a topic for conversation re: badges/pins.  If we simply put a word on a badge such as Duelist, the meaning is obvious and doesn't spark any curiosity.  On the other hand, if we put a picture or symbol on the badge people will be more likely to ask, "What's that for?"  This is an easy and obvious conversation starter on the subject of Duelist. 

Perhaps a silhouette of a duelist like this image. I found this on line and does not appear copyrighted but perhaps something like this made from a photo of an actual SASS Duelist? I tried to find a side angle shot but the only good ones I found were either copyrighted or were images of guys in top hats.

cowboy silhouette.jpg

4 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Left handed-Must be one of those 'closet-gunfighters'. :lol:

OLG

Lumpy, depending up perspective, that image actually looks like a right hander.

Look at the image as though you are looking at the back of the person, not the front.

..........Widder

38 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Perhaps a silhouette of a duelist like this image. I found this on line and does not appear copyrighted but perhaps something like this made from a photo of an actual SASS Duelist? I tried to find a side angle shot but the only good ones I found were either copyrighted or were images of guys in top hats.

cowboy silhouette.jpg

LOVE it!!!  Even has his other hand on second pistol ready for the transition.

1 hour ago, Calico Mary said:

jus dunt use Rye's picture......;)

I love you too!

58 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Why would the hat be tip'd below eye level then?:blink:

OLG

Its still perspective.   Look at the pix as though the front of the hat is slanted backwards on the head.

..........Widder

19 minutes ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Its still perspective.   Look at the pix as though the front of the hat is slanted backwards on the head.

..........Widder

As in facing towards us??:huh:

Left handed then, 'rite'???:huh:

Most duelist out here, use a cross-draw holster. Do you see that in your area?

OLG

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

LOVE it!!!  Even has his other hand on second pistol ready for the transition.

Yep, nice pic, facing down range left hand on second pistol is how I see it. How Bout SCUD "Shootist Coolist United Duelist" you could put some little wings on a bullet like a Scud missile:D. Or DOCS 'Duelist Order of Coolist Shootist:)

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I love you too!

I always new yu thot I wuz speshul......:wub:  I still taint shootin' duelist wit ya tho.....

Spanish word for Duelist is 

Duelista !

2 hours ago, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

Yep, nice pic, facing down range left hand on second pistol is how I see it. How Bout SCUD "Shootist Coolist United Duelist" you could put some little wings on a bullet like a Scud missile:D. Or DOCS 'Duelist Order of Coolist Shootist:)

I hope I'm more accurate than a SCUD :(

(Lumpy, you keep your dang mouth shut. :angry:)

:P

According to  2017 EOT category rankings there were 115 duelist entries of all types, including Classic Cowboy, while there were only 53 gunfighter entries.  There's no way to tell how many other categories, either age based or discipline used, duelist or gunfighter at the match, although from what I saw most were shooting two handed.  I think the duelists had a pretty decent showing overall.

On 6/23/2017 at 3:22 PM, Flinch Lock said:

Don't forget Frontiersmen also shoot duelist!!!

On 6/23/2017 at 4:23 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Sorry, but yea you guys are cool too!!! Doolists are Coolest!!

Rye,

You agreed that Frontiersmen are cool, but does that mean it will be included in this?  I switched from GF to Duelist this year, but I'm about 80 certain that I want to go back to Frontiersman.

Archived