SASS Wire Forum

Duelists unite!!!

Rye Miles #13621

I've noticed that the Duelist, Senior Duelist and FCD categories are kinda dwindling. Everyone's going Gunfighter. It's time for us Duelists to unite! Gf's have the Jedi thing going on what about us tried and true duelists who shoot the way they did back in the day!! I've been shooting duelist for 20 years, never shot anything else!

Duelists, ya got any ideas?:D

Rye

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We do have SUDDS.

Eliminating adjustable sight revolvers from the duelist category was a big kick in the knee to us older folks who were shooting this game before Ruger made their first Vaquero and own a safe full of Blackhawks.  We need to get that rule changed so that our Blackhawks are legal.

Duffield

I tried to shoot this Game a couple of times using two hands ,,,, didn't seem Natural ....So I went Duelist ,,, shot for about 15 years in Duelist then the last 4 or 5 years I have been shooting FCD....

Making lot's of smoke ...

Tried CC about 6 years ago but over heated  at two shoot in plus 90 degree weather ..... So FCD it is dressed  like CC when it ain't too hot ...

Jabez Cowboy

CC was a very big disappointment to me , I had hoped it would be a class where folks would shoot Cowboy type loads like  the pre 1900s ...

I was thinking of a PF of 180+ for CC .... And .38-40 and bigger calibers ...

Jabez Cowboy

12 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

SUDDS :unsure: What's dat? :blink:

I'll be a Duelist, till I stop play'n the game.

OLG

Sudds is a group of shooters who shoot Double Duelist style.  A gent in the Pacific Northwest created it about 15 years ago, and sold badges at his cost to anyone who wanted one.

I do not recall his name, but he posted a while back that he had gone on to gunfighter.  Don't know if he still has any badges.

Duffield

49 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I've noticed that the Duelist, Senior Duelist and FCD categories are kinda dwindling. Everyone's going Gunfighter. It's time for us Duelists to unite! Gf's have the Jedi thing going on what about us tried and true duelists who shoot the way they did back in the day!! I've been shooting duelist for 20 years, never shot anything else!

Rye

I'm with ya Rye. I never saw Matt Dillon shoot two handed or gunfighter style.

34 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

We do have SUDDS.

Eliminating adjustable sight revolvers from the duelist category was a big kick in the knee to us older folks who were shooting this game before Ruger made their first Vaquero and own a safe full of Blackhawks.  We need to get that rule changed so that our Blackhawks are legal.

Duffield

I'm going to be 67 in another week. The sights that are coming out on guns designed for Cowboy Action Shooting are thicker and rear notches wider.  The sight blades on my Smoke Wagons are .090 wide.  The rear notch is .125 wide. They are plenty viable.  

If you needed a bigger sight picture,  look at Sure Hit Sights. 

www.surehitsights.com

Jackson Rose loaned me one of his Rugers with Sure Hit Sights at last match. The blade covered up the width of the 16" wide targets. 

1 minute ago, Warden Callaway said:

I'm going to be 67 in another week. The sights that are coming out on guns designed for Cowboy Action Shooting are thicker and rear notches wider.  The sight blades on my Smoke Wagons are .090 wide.  The rear notch is .125 wide. They are plenty viable.  

If you needed a bigger sight picture,  look at Sure Hit Sights. 

www.surehitsights.com

Jackson Rose loaned me one of his Rugers with Sure Hit Sights at last match. The blade covered up the width of the 16" wide targets. 

It's not that I need bigger sights, it's just that I have 10 Blackhawks and two Vaqueros.

My .45acp Blackhawks and my three screw Blackhawks are no longer usable in the Senior Duelist category.  When I complained to my territorial governor about the proposal to make adjustable sights illegal in Senior Duelist I was told that only two or three people wanted to do it and it would not be enacted.

He was wrong.

Duffield

Howdy RYE.   

Ya gotta organize.

The JEDI's have a JEDI Council, MASTER JEDI's,  Soot Lords, JEDI's, and even JEDI GF of the Year recognition.

We also have our own JEDI GF pin (a lapel pin).

PLUS, we have our own website:  shootingbums.org

The website has JEDI info and pictures when you click on a name.   Very well put together by DeadHead.

I hope this info helps.

..........Widder

I have long stated that outlawing so-called "adjustable" sights is ridiculous!  Does it make a difference whether you adjust your sight with a screw driver, after a long session on the target range...NOT during a match...or adjusting your sights with a file and a barrel vise (for windage...if that's the way you do that)!  As far as the shape of the adjustable rear sights on Ruger Blackhawks is concerned, there are many older shooters who can't pick up the blade-in-the-topstrap-groove fixed sights.  Personally, in spite of my advancing age (75 this summer), I shoot OM Vaqueros, so I don't have a dog in the fight. But I strongly urge reconsideration of outlawing adjustable sights in Senior Duelist, etc.  The same thing is true of restricting the use of the drift-adjustable sights on the Laramie NM#3.

1 hour ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Howdy RYE.   

Ya gotta organize.

The JEDI's have a JEDI Council, MASTER JEDI's,  Soot Lords, JEDI's, and even JEDI GF of the Year recognition.

The website has JEDI info and pictures when you click on a name.   Very well put together by DeadHead.

I hope this info helps.

..........Widder

Don't forget those Sharp Jedi Buckles!

I think it's my fault Rye started this thread. Got to shoot with Rye a few weeks ago and he seen my Jedi Buckle.

You should have heard the names he was throwing around for his new "Gang"... Hahaha

Kaya fell for the duelist thing so add one more to your list. I may switch so we can compete apples to apples again.

While not currently a Duelist due to an issue with my hands shaking uncontrollably, I have shot that category in the past.  In my mind, Duelist is about being one with your SA revolver.  Hence I propose the name of Zen Duelists for a duelist focused organization.  Feel free to take up the mantle.

Duelist to me is the way I have been shooting it since I started in SASS. A true one handed shooting discipline. A so called double duelist is simply a gunfighter afraid to come out of the closet. Feel free to flame away!!  Doc

I tried shooting two-handed when we 1st started in SASS in '05 but my left thumb hasn't worked too good since I ran a drill bit thru it in '80. Went to duelist in early '06 & haven't looked back! Duelist, senior duelist, FCD, fun way to enjoy our sport!!!!

DC

Duelist here.

Tried Double Duelist and Gunfighter but I prefer Duelist. Gunfighter looks super cool and it's fun. I just miss half my targets. I prefer Duelist overall.

For 3 matches this year I had to shoot 2 handed. I had / have an issue with my wrist. Wow, was that weird. :lol:

I even shot Duelist when I shot IDPA and when I tried 3 gun. Got some funny looks there. I had a guy bust'n my chops about it (it was all in fun).

I told him "They are called Handguns, not HANDS-guns" ;)

33 minutes ago, doc roy l. pain said:

A so called double duelist is simply a gunfighter afraid to come out of the closet.

Now that's darn funny right there!

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Rye

I have been thinking about it and I think I have a name for all us Duelists. "Shootists"

I thought about creative plays on words using the terms, pistoleers, duelers / duelists, target shooters, etc. But "Shootists" seemed appropriate...and it's a good movie with a very famous actor...

5 hours ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Howdy RYE.   

Ya gotta organize.

I hope this info helps.

..........Widder

Sounds like a lot of work!!! Whew!!! I'll see what happens and how much attention it gets. It may be alot of work but it would be pretty cool! 

BTW I like Doc Shapiro's "Zen Duelist"!!! Also Pat's "Shootists!!! That's good too!

Maybe Zen Shootists???

no Pat....when yer talkin' bout Rye it wud be "Shortists"......not sure if that would werk for all the duelists tho....maybe they need to switch to GF and someday they could be cool enuff ta be Jedi......:D

1 hour ago, Flinch Lock said:

Don't forget Frontiersmen also shoot duelist!!!

Sorry, but yea you guys are cool too!!! Doolists are Coolest!!

Perhaps some 19th Century slang in the name?

I made a post with some links in the Saloon, if you're interested: http://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/263639-19th-century-slang/

• Ace High Duelists
  • Ace High Shootists
  • Masters of the Barking Iron
  • Dash Fire Duelists
  • Grand Duelists
  • Blue Lightnin' Duelists
  • Bully Duelists

Just a thought.

gunfighter is the coolest way to shoot yur pistollas,,, however,,, duelists have the coolest transitions,,, if they take advantage of them!!

Count me in! Our ranks have been dwindling terribly. Need more folks to step up and shoot those pistols the way they were meant to be shot, one handed. :D

We could call ourselves the One Handed Masters and this could be our symbol:

IMG_0455.PNG

Archived