SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Recall Mark IV .22 Pistols

W. D. Pickett

What scares me is if the safety is half way on or off and the trigger is pulled the gun sounds like a misfire.  Then if the safety is moved to the fire position the gun shoots without any further action by the person holding the gun.  Good thing is Ruger is covering all expenses to ship the grip frame (the only part you return to Ruger) and they give you a magazine for your trouble.

LOG,

Ruger videos say once you enter your serial number, they send you a pre-paid USPS box, shipping label, label for the gun's grip (the only part you send in) and you mail it.  They fix it and send it back to you since the serial numbered part (barrel and receiver) stays with you.  Very simple.  Thanks for having this pinned.  PR you are a good moderator.

W.D.

5 hours ago, W. D. Pickett said:

LOG,

Ruger videos say once you enter your serial number, they send you a pre-paid USPS box, shipping label, label for the gun's grip (the only part you send in) and you mail it.  They fix it and send it back to you sense the serial numbered part (barrel and receiver) stays with you.  Very simple.  Thanks for having this pinned.  PR you are a good moderator.

W.D.

Thanks but I have a good role model and mentor. Allie Mo is the best!

Once you sign up for the recall on their web site, and have included your serial number for verification that it is part of the recall, they put you on a waiting list. Once they have you scheduled and the parts are available, they will ship you a prepaid shipping notice. They claim they will only have the gun for 1 week.  They also suggest that you not use the gun until it has been repaired.  If you have already had custom work (like my Volquartsen parts) do not ship them with the gun. They will remove them and if it is a trigger or sear, they say they will not return them.

The only thing that ticks me off is if you paid a gunsmith to do the action work, you will have to pay them again. Ruger refused to send the new replacement parts to a gunsmith. Although I did my own, there are folks that will have to shell out money to have the action work redone. The free magazine is not enough of a present to pay for two action jobs.

They are not necessarily doing this because they are nice guys. They are 100% liability driven, hence not shipping the replacement parts to a gunsmith. Don't get me wrong, I like Ruger products and would buy another in a heartbeat but I am not applauding them on this recall.

On 6/23/2017 at 10:01 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If they only want the frame, which doesn't contain the serial number, then you don't need to ship it as a 'gun'.

Just use a flat-rate box and send it.

OLG

They supply the box and shipping. Even if it was the frame, which it is not, when the factory sends you the pre-paid shipping box, it is all that is needed.

Correct-But if you are shipping the entire gun. You have to take it to a 'hub' as the store front set-ups will not accept it. The stores have no secure area to keep it safe.

With the Ruger 22 auto, the upper rec'r/barrel is the 'gun' because it contains the serial number. 

Nice of Ruger to supply the shipping box!;)

OLG

On 6/24/2017 at 11:33 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OH come on. You're just as scared of the stick she has, as I am ... :lol::P

LG 

DO  NOT MESS WITH THE QUEEN OF THE WIRE...........she has secret powers only know to the man upstairs.

26 minutes ago, Chuckaroo #13080 Regulator said:

Correcto Mundo. Dealers can ship USPS where non-dealers cannot. Most gun manufacturers do not use the post office anyway. 

Non FFL can not ship handguns via USPS. Have to use UPS or FedX and pay mucho to do so.

Long-guns can be shipped by a non-FFL via USPS.

Allie has a stick, for each day of the week-:lol::P

OLG

Well I am not giving a Ruger a pat on the back for the good guy of the year award and like Chuckaroo said, they are just covering their butts for liability. I only went back to a Ruger Mk pistol because the ease of breaking it down.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:33 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OH come on. You're just as scared of the stick she has, as I am ... :lol::P

LG 

She walks softly, but carries a big stick when needed, as was once said, a little dynamite goes a long long way!

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update.

Sent my request for a Recall Repair on June 26th.  That is over two months ago. Ruger has told owners to not use their guns until they have been repaired. At this point I certainly am not impressed with the speed of the recall. Got to shoot it once.

No mailer to date.

19 hours ago, Chuckaroo #13080 Regulator said:

Just an update.

Sent my request for a Recall Repair on June 26th.  That is over two months ago. Ruger has told owners to not use their guns until they have been repaired. At this point I certainly am not impressed with the speed of the recall. Got to shoot it once.

No mailer to date.

Maybe, you could try calling them.....

Always best to talk to a warm body with this type of deal.

OLG

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Maybe, you could try calling them.....

Always best to talk to a warm body with this type of deal.

OLG

Lumpy,

I agree, and they said they were sending repair return boxes in the order the requests were received. Guess I was to slow!

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Please keep us updated.

Will the .22 go to AZ or east coast for fix'n?

OLG

I am not sure at this point. There is apparently a back log and they my be dividing up the work?

I just bought a new 22/45 lite mk IV last week that had the fix done to it.  It's a nice gun.  I have ordered a red Dot sight for it and will probably up grade the trigger and sear.

The wait for the repair will be worth it.

SR

On 7/31/2017 at 0:43 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Please keep us updated.

Will the .22 go to AZ or east coast for fix'n?

OLG

Lumpy,

I just got an E-mail from Ruger. It states that I will be receiving my shipping box "soon."  I guess the checks in the mail. Maybe they read the Wire!?!?

On 6/23/2017 at 5:36 PM, Waimea said:

And she's sweet as candy.:lol:

'cept when she's herdin' Cowboys.

Waimea

She got her experience herdin' cats. :)

I hear she's found the cat herdin' to be easier.  :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Last March I drove from Cheyenne to Cabela's in Sydney Nebraska, 100 miles each way. Looked at a Ruger Mark IV hunter and really liked it. Out of state so I couldn't just buy it and take it home. No gun stores in Cheyenne could get hold of one for me, including Sportsmans Warehouse. So I called Cabelas in Sydney, bought the gun over the phone, they shipped it to my local gunshop, who did the paperwork and I finally got the gun in early April. Before the weather got nice enough to take it to the range, i heard about the recall. Sent the SN to Ruger, sure enough my Mark IV was on the list for recall. Ruger would send a shipping box, In the meantime don't shoot it. Two months later I finally got the shipping box and sent the grip etc. back to Ruger. Rugers blurb said they'd have it fixed in about a week. They've had it about three weeks now, and haven't managed to get it back to me yet. I have lots of Ruger guns, pistols and rifles, and love them all. But this pistol I bought on 5 April and have not been able to shoot as of August 27 is a real pain in the butt (I wonder if I'll get to shoot it before the snow flies) and I'll think twice before buying another Ruger!

The O'Meara Himself.

Shipper finally came but I have decided not to send it back. I have already replaced the trigger, sear and other custom parts and the problem parts were in the mix. No need to send to remove the parts, send it back then remove their parts and put mine back again.

On 8/25/2017 at 10:31 PM, Silver Rings SASS # 27466 said:

Rolan, was your trigger pull better than before?

SR

SR, I didn't notice much difference.

• 1 month later...

I sent my recall request in on June 3, as of 2 weeks ago I had not heard a peep out of Ruger. I called 2 weeks ago and the young lady  apologized  and took my info over the phone. I got my shipping box in a couple of days. Gun came back last week just about 1 week after I shipped it. 

Sounds like their system is screwed up. I would suggest calling them , the guns will be repaired at their facility here in Prescott, AZ

Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
Customer Service Department

200 Ruger Road
Prescott, AZ 86301

Telephone: 336-949-5200 / Fax: 928-541-8835

(Monday through Friday 6:00am - 5:00pm MST)

After deciding to not send mine back, because I had replaced all the recall parts with custom parts, Ruger has called me twice asking where the gun was. I told them I was not returning it to them because I had replaced the parts with custom parts. They seemed unhappy with that. I then got another letter from them warning me that the gun has not been converted and that if sold, the new buyer should be notified. They are indeed concerned about their liability.

I have 5, 3 screw Blackhawks, that never went back either.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just came across this thread and thanks for the heads up!  I just went on the Ruger site and entered my S/N and the pistol that I purchased in late 2016 will be sent back for the retrofit as soon as I receive the shipping box/label from Ruger. 

Good news is I am in Prescott Valley and less than 5 miles from the Ruger Plant......however they still want the grip frame sent in rather than dropped off.

And heck, we get a free magazine for the hassle!!!

Archived