SASS Wire Forum

How to stay married for 50 years

At St. Peter's Catholic Church in Toronto , they have weekly husband's marriage seminars. At the session last week, the priest asked Giuseppe, who said he was approaching his 50th wedding anniversary, to take a few minutes and share some insight into how he had managed to stay married to the same woman all these years. Giuseppe replied to the assembled husbands, "Wella, I'va tried to treat her nicea, spenda da money on her, but besta of all is, I tooka her to Italy for the 25th anniversary!" The priest responded, "Giuseppe, you are an amazing inspiration to all the husbands here! Please tell us what you are planning for your wife for your 50th anniversary?" Giuseppe proudly replied, " I gonna go pick her up."

:lol:  I'll tell ya how it's done... it's NOT a 50/50 proposition! It's 90/10 and 10/90 for both spouses!  :D  That, and after awhile, ya let her pick her own anniversary and birthday presents, and just figure out how to pay for them! :rolleyes:

The secret is mutual commitment to the cause of marriage and family, and tolerance.  Never EVER take marriage advice from a fella that hasn't successfully made it through menopause.

Never take health or exercise advice from someone under 85.

Been married 37 years.

We followed my Aunt Helen's advice and so far it seems to have worked.

1. Never go to bed mad at each other. Always settle things before going to sleep.
  2. Never let money rule your lives and never argue over money. (this is a hard one)
  3. Always tell each other "I love you" at least once a day.

I have added to these rules:

4. Let everyone else celebrate the Hallmark holidays. Following Rule #3 is best.

5. Always be there for each other. No one should be more important than you are to each other..

6. And - follow the advice of a song by .38 Special "Hold on Loosely".

We gave this advice to my daughter and son-in-law. They are coming up on 13 years.

Shiel

12 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Been married 37 years.

We followed my Aunt Helen's advice and so far it seems to have worked.

1. Never go to bed mad at each other. Always settle things before going to sleep.
  2. Never let money rule your lives and never argue over money. (this is a hard one)
  3. Always tell each other "I love you" at least once a day.

I have added to these rules:

4. Let everyone else celebrate the Hallmark holidays. Following Rule #3 is best.

5. Always be there for each other. No one should be more important than you are to each other..

6. And - follow the advice of a song by .38 Special "Hold on Loosely".

We gave this advice to my daughter and son-in-law. They are coming up on 13 years.

Shiela and I have been married 38 years, together to the day 39. We practice every rule you listed from the beginning. Love the song and 38 special. It's not the ONE for us. We tend more towards shaking things up when in private. ACDCs, Thunder is more who we are. Neither of us can sit still for to long and we stay connected to musicians in the area. Just wish I could get her to start shooting again.

we never go to bed without kissing and telling each other we love each other. Regardless of the circumstances. 

Coming up on 41 years this year. Just one thing to add. Get her involved in CAS and buy her better guns than you have.

P.S. When you're loading for her, make SURE there are no squibs.

12 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Two words..........."Yes, Dear":lol::blush:

Has worked for me fer over 42 years. Money no problem, her's and ours. Being mad at each other, no problem, by bed time neither could remember anyway anymore. As you age and reach over 70 you find out just how much you really need each other. And the best secret, fall in love each day more than the last.:wub:

53 this fall for me and my lifelong love. Everything that has been said, except that my advice is enjoy each other, talk to each other and always say "I love you" and "I'm sorry".

Archived