SASS Wire Forum

best brand of silencer for a 223

Trigger Mike

The Silencer Shop out of Austin, specializes in supressors and stays very busy selling them.  They sell $2-3MM annually.

Here's a link to a page on their web site that discusses how to select a supressor for specific types of ammo.  There's a link on that page that address 5.56 cartridges:

https://www.silencershop.com/how-to-buy-a-silencer

I'd look at that discussion first; it likely will give you ideas and how to proceed.

Cat Brules

Potato !

Heee heee heee .

Just sayin 

Rooster 

"Silencer"- The Legal definition for a firearm suppression device. This is also the word used on the ATF application sheet.

"Suppressor"- The Technical definition for a firearm suppression device.

Thought I would throw these in, some think "silencer" is not a correct term since in reality, the sound is not silenced, rather suppressed to a lower decibel. Different silencer/suppressors, be it the length, or thickness will lower the sound, but never be silent. Only Hollywood has true silencer with the sound many times less then a cap gun fired. MT

They are still kinda loud-^_^

OP-have you fired a suppressed .223? I guess this in for an AR type rifle?

Many times you have to 'respring' the recoil spring etc. Also, the action really gets fouled too.

The BATFE paperwork takes several months to deal with.

I like the suppresses coming from Sure Fire. GEMTECH is another good outfit.

OLG

Not matter what you do you cannot "silence" a round that will break the sound barrier. To silence a round it must be subsonic and the weapon that does this best is a bolt action. I have a silencer and the noise from the mechanical action is louder than the shot with subsonic ammo. With ammo that breaks the sound barrier it still has a loud crack. A silencer would have to capture the ammo at that point of breaking the sound barrier to truely silence the weapon.

18 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Many times you have to 'respring' the recoil spring etc. Also, the action really gets fouled too.

OLG

Actually they been a lot more efficient in issuing approval and stamp in past decade. The longest wait I ever had was 6 weeks be it silencers or FA firearms. I have 4 silencer and all mine are from "Advanced Armament Corp". They will lose their effectiveness by fouling over time. The ones that you can disassemble and clean, I feel are less effective.

As to any "resprings or having actions fouled", never see this nor any problems in my firearms with silencer attached I use or had to make adjustments.

As to true "silencers", only Hollywood has them and as of date will not release their secrets to either manufacturers or the military.:rolleyes:  MT

"The ones that you can disassemble and clean, I feel are less effective."

Not seen much difference in noise reduction, but the take-apart type have an longer life.

A good heated, sonic cleaner is a suppressor's best friend.^_^

Several of the LEO/MIL m4's I've played with. Had stiffer recoil spring and different buffers than non suppressed version.

Seen the same on some suppressed HG's.

OLG

Silencer - the name the man that INVENTED IT gave it.

As to waits - my shortest was five weeks, for my MP5. My longest was eleven months, for my Thompson.

Eleven months, Slick Willie, anti gun POTUS.

Five weeks, W, pro gun POTUS.

Hmmmmm.

I've heard the waits over the past eight years were horrendous.

Might be better now.

47 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

I've never fired one but have been to a range and seen one.  My state allows hunting with suppressors and so I'm debating between putting it on a bolt action 3006 or an AR since i use it to hunt the coyotes that are eating the deer and chickens.  I used to thick it was not necessary but there are some advantages, like time to have a follow-up shot etc

my dealer said that there was a flood of applications for them last summer right before the rule change that said you no longer go through the sheriff but do have to be fingerprinted even if you put it in a trust.  He said the current wait is 8 months.

9 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I've never fired one but have been to a range and seen one.  My state allows hunting with suppressors and so I'm debating between putting it on a bolt action 3006 or an AR since i use it to hunt the coyotes that are eating the deer and chickens.  I used to thick it was not necessary but there are some advantages, like time to have a follow-up shot etc

There are some clamp on Silencer, but to me are dangerous in case they come loose and obstruct the barrel, (not sure if any of the big makers still make the clamp ons). If your thinking of putting one on your bolt action, you'll have to take it to a gunsmith, ad they will most likely remove front sight and tread the barrel for a silencer or depending on barrel thickness add a threaded adapter to end so a silencer can be threaded on The AR, the flash hider can be unthreaded and a silencer treaded on it. They do make a difference on the ARs, if you get a top of the line model. MT

14 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

but do have to be fingerprinted even if you put it in a trust.  

That's a new one on me as the Trust you and whoever else is named in the Trust is already fingerprinted into the Trust. I just bought another Thompson and went right through and in my possession in 5 weeks. MT

17 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Fire one, before you buy one. ;)

OLG

Good advise. Some dealers that sell suppressors and have a range, may have a firearm you wish to purchase a silencer for and let you shoot them to see how effective they are for you. I had the fortune to use a dealer that had an AR for me to try before I put the cash down for one. MT

I have an Advanced Armament suppressor for an AR15.  It reduces the sound level down to about a 22 LR.  I bought mine several years ago and it was about a 5 month wait time.  It came with a quick attach flash suppressor that replaced the factory flash suppressor.  A suppressor is one of those things you buy and plan on keeping forever.  The resale value and the hassle of ownership transfer are not worth the effort, unless of course, the Fed outlaws any new ones and grandfathers in the existing ones like they did fully automatic weapons.

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

Mike, I'm happy for however a person wants to spend their honestly-earned coin, but if follow-up shots on coyotes are your priority, you will be disappointed.

Having been down range with bullets flying overhead, I can tell you from experience that the first sound the coyote will hear is an unmistakable and unnatural "CRACK!" from the bullet.  No suppressor can prevent this noise.  Upon hearing this noise, said coyote will be taking off for the next county even before the sound of the muzzle blast reaches his ears.

Again, if you want a suppressor, feel free to go for it.  There are others more knowledgeable than I who can tell you the pros and cons of what to get.  I'd just hate for you to go through all the dollars and paperwork to not accomplish what you'd set out to do.

Three questions to ask before you buy a suppressor / silencer.

1. How will it effect the point of impact? All suppressors /silencers will change the POI to a varying degree when added to a firearm. Some brands / models a lot more than others.

2. Is the change in POI repeatable? If the suppressor / silencer is removed from the gun and then reinstalled it will the POI change.

3. Can it be cleaned?

Howdy,

Anyone ever put one on a rossi 92 or other lever in 38 sp?

Seems like that might just be darn quiet overall.

Best

CR

8 hours ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

"Silencer"- The Legal definition for a firearm suppression device. This is also the word used on the ATF application sheet.

"Suppressor"- The Technical definition for a firearm suppression device.

Thought I would throw these in, some think "silencer" is not a correct term since in reality, the sound is not silenced, rather suppressed to a lower decibel. Different silencer/suppressors, be it the length, or thickness will lower the sound, but never be silent. Only Hollywood has true silencer with the sound many times less then a cap gun fired. MT

Put me down as one who thinks "silencer" is not a correct term. This is why Hollywood won't hire me.

I'm all about the technical. :lol:

Howdy,

Check out Chief AJ and his sling-bow.....Now legal many places for hunting.

Quiet and deadly.  Don't know about follow ups????

Best

CR

A supressed 300 Blackout with subsonic 220 grain bullets is very quiet.

;)

On your standard AR 15 lower receiver you have the option of changing out uppers for different calibers and the 300 Blackout fits perfectly on a standard AR lower and can run the same mags as your 5.56/.223. The uppers can be purchased with absolutely no 4473 or NFA paperwork (for a short barrel) as they are not considered a firearm. Just make sure you do not get a barrel shorter than 16 inches unless you want to complete the NFA paperwork and get a tax stamp for a short-barreled rifle... but I digress. 

A 30 caliber size suppressor will work just fine on a standard AR-15 in 5.56 caliber. You can buy a dedicated 5.56 caliber suppressor for your standard AR-15 but then lose the modularity and flexibility of using one suppressor for multiple calibers. The suppressor will screw on to any muzzle device with the correct thread pitch. In other words, buy the right suppressor and use it on multiple AR uppers in different calibers. You get a lot more for your money that way. With the correct threaded muzzle device you can also use the same suppressor with a bolt-action rifle if evil black assault rifles are not your thing.

18 hours ago, Festus G Lonetree said:

Fires a subsonic projectile in almost total silence, and you can always use ice cubes to leave absolutely no evidence...... :)

wRocket.jpg

Two of those power my mortar. :D

BigSugarA4.JPG

Archived