SASS Wire Forum

Why shoot in the am why not have an afternoon match?

Blackey Cole

I hate getting up early in the morning before 9am as a result I normally attend multi day matches that I stay on site at it helps since it takes out the hour to two hour drive.  And on the second and later days the gear is setup just need to drag out of the Motorhome normally and put in the cart along with ammo and snacks fot the day.  Hook it up to the range and motor to the range from the campground.  And the larger matches have a wave setup so one day you shoot am go next mid and third pm go the am is usually been my luck to get the last day so early start home if I like. So I'm only getting up early two out of the three days. Other clubs that shoot two days tend to start Sunday an hour later it seem because of cowboy church.

so I understand some areas the temps are best early in the day during the summer season.  But in the winter they back it off anhour later why not start at noon instead of ten or nine?

it seems some shoot early and plan the rest of the day for chores. Hey it's the weekend time for fun not work if you schedule sass in the plan on doing x afternoon I understand that's you right. But why not do it before sass and slow down and enjoy sass more in the afternoon.  I've been to monthly matches that ran like boot camp x to x check in, x for briefing first round down range at x and everyone rushes through the stages finished by  wards after tear down and steel put up if required. But they are trying to run it like a big match where time is limited they treat the hours up to x for sass hen it's bad if they go over.  No time to proactive any your rushed to try out a malfunction gun or a new one.   O option to shoot after the so called monthly match which should be more of trading for larger matches and new shooters let's shoot x stages 45 mins per stage pack up and go home.

Why no afternoon starts on monthlies?

There are a couple reasons.

One you touched on is the heat and weather consideration of summer temps in the 110s by afternoon.

The other item is; I have other things than cowboy to attend to on any given weekend day.

I am willing to give up 4-5 hours of my weekend day, (3 shooting, 1 travel time and 1 cleanup), to shoot a match, if those hours are 8-1.  I still have time afterwards to go to dinner, hit a poker tournament or have date night with my girls. 

But, I am not willing to take those same hours out of the middle of the day and basically throw the entire day away to shoot cowboy.

And I would not patronize any match that asked me to.     

The problem is that if you start changing the hours around, people won't remember when the match starts.  The best way is to pick a time and stick with it.  If all of your local clubs use the same time, it makes it a lot easier to remember.  Everyone seems to use 9:00 a.m. for the safety meeting around here.  I like simple.

A latter shoot would interfere with Nap Time !

Im not willing to give up a good Nap !

I like the morning shoots. In the summer I wish we would start even earlier. For about 1/2 the matches I attend they pretty much are an all day event.

For Example

Up at 0600 to eat breakfast and load the truck

Leave NLT 0800 so I can arrive at the match by at least 0900

Safety meeting at 0930 Start match by 1000.

Shoot match, get the scores and then go out to eat  and converse with about a dozen good friends.

Get home 1700 to 1800

Unpack truck, Put brass on to clean, Refill loading blocks and restock shotgun shells.

Shower and then kick back for the evening.

If the match started at noon I wouldn't be done before midnight.

BTW I have found it is easy to become a morning person. Go to bed earlier. :o  :D  

Typical SASS shooting Saturday:

0400   Git up, shave, brush teeth

0415  Head to downtown YMCA to clean the spin bikes

0430  At YMCA, clean spin bikes

0530  Change into cowboy clothes

0545  Leave YMCA headed to range

0700  Arrive at range (usually only one there)

0715  Setup shooting cart, swat skeeters (cuss the ones that git away)

0730  Eat breakfast in truck

0830  Safety meeting/registration

0900  Shoot match

1200  After match awards/eat lunch

1230  Break down cart and load truck

1400  Arrive home and unload truck

1430  Nap time!  (after shower)

1600  Mow the grass/weed eat/edge

1800  Shower and clean up

1830  Eat dinner

1900  Western channel on boob tube

2100  ZZZZZZZZ

I like starting in the morning, but I am am an early morning starter anyway. During the week I am up by 04:30. I sleep in until 05:30 sometimes on the weekends.  

My monthly match is a 6 stage match. Signups are at 08:00. We start the match at at 09:00. We set the range up the day before on Friday evening. We shoot, tears down the stages, have lunch and awards and often I am home by 2 or 3. I like this schedule very much.

Some facilities that house cowboy matches might not allow various activities to tie up the ranges all day when there are paying members looking for bays to empty brass on a weekend afternoon.

Most ranges around here have a set time for the CAS matches and it's in the morning. I much prefer earlier start times.

It's a good idea in the winter, when temps are freezing in the morning but become more tolerable at mid-day.  But I suspect the idea will never be very popular.

In the SouthWest makes sense to me to start shoots at 5-5:30am during the summer, midwest safety at 9:30am. During the winter southwest anytime they want after 10am, sames goes for the midwest. For me it's a 2 hour drive to the range.

1 hour ago, W. D. Pickett said:

Typical SASS shooting Saturday:

0400   Git up, shave, brush teeth

0415  Head to downtown YMCA to clean the spin bikes

0430  At YMCA, clean spin bikes

0530  Change into cowboy clothes

0545  Leave YMCA headed to range

0700  Arrive at range (usually only one there)

0715  Setup shooting cart, swat skeeters (cuss the ones that git away)

0730  Eat breakfast in truck

0830  Safety meeting/registration

0900  Shoot match

1200  After match awards/eat lunch

1230  Break down cart and load truck

1400  Arrive home and unload truck

1430  Nap time!  (after shower)

1600  Mow the grass/weed eat/edge

1800  Shower and clean up

1830  Eat dinner

1900  Western channel on boob tube

2100  ZZZZZZZZ

DING DING DING. We have a winner!! :lol:

I'm not a morning person...cowboy shooting is one of the few things that will get me up at the crack of dark.

As has already been said, heat and weather are big factors, afternoon is much more likely to have a rain or thunder storm in these parts.

Also, if the match was in the afternoon, I'd have to do other chores in the morning, and it would be way more likely that I'd get busy with something else and skip the match, or be tired out from chores and not go, or whatever.

Even with a 1.5 hour drive, I'd rather shoot in the morning.

Anytime I wake up after 4:00am,  I get up.  I make a pot of coffee for Sawmill Mary.   She has to have a cup of coffee and two asprians before getting out of bed.  By 9:00am safely meeting,  the day is half over.  By the time we get home, I'm long overdue for a nap. If I can get a short nep, I can make it until bedtime that comes as soon as 8:00pm but rarely later than 9:00pm.  

If you can talk your club into trying it, go for it.  There is no SASS rule against shooting in the afternoon.  

There are local ordinances in some locations that stop us from shooting too early in the morning.  Powder Creek is in town and its monthlies start at 10:00.  The Florida clubs where I shoot start at times intended to beat the heat.   The Higginsville, MO club (whatever they call themselves now :) ) starts shooting at 10:00 half the year and 9:00 the other.  Heat is the reason for that split.  

If your club is up north I would imagine a later start would be advantageous, but in the middle and south a morning start is almost mandatory during the hot months. 

:ph34r:  Creeker hit it right on.  Many of us not fortunate enough to be retired have other lives beyond CAS (darn it!) which require TIME.  Here we alter summer/winter start times by an hour in consideration of weather.

Last Saturday we were done and sitting around eating and gabbing by 11:30.  We start signups at 7 and are shooting by 8.  I get back to my store before 12 and relieve my son

(who works nights and fills in for us so we can shoot) to finish out the business day.  During slow times the gear is put away and brass is sorted.  Works well.  Not fun to shoot when it's so warm the guns are difficult to handle because they get too hot at the loading table....

Where I shoot, we are restricted so that we cannot begin shooting before 9:30am. Private ranch, their rules.

Here in the DFW area, we are heading into HELL season where overnight lows will start being more like daytime highs for the rest of the country. Before long our overnight lows will be in the low 90's and as soon as the big yellow orb breaks the horizon, it just gets worse. Add in the humidity and it's just unbearable to be outside. We are already having heat index temps in excess of 105 degrees.

Since I'm rarely in bed past 5:30am, morning shoots are best for me. I have a nearly 1.5 hour drive each way so mornings are better.

55 minutes ago, Grizzly Dave said:

I'm not a morning person...cowboy shooting is one of the few things that will get me up at the crack of dark....

We must be related. :)

I usually can't get to sleep before midnight, and pay for it on early mornings.

Right now my schedule is get up between 9:30 and 10:00 every day due to work. I normally get home between 11:00pm and 1:00am. On the weekends I find it a struggle to get up much before 10:00am but most of the time I find myself going to bed at 2 or 3am on the weekends. I have not been attending any local matches as that requires getting up at 6:00am for almost all matches near me take an hour or so to drive to them. I have one match 20 minutes from the house and they start around 9:00 so I can make it if I pack everything but the guns in the truck the night before and have the guns ready to be carried outside. Big matches, I just rearrange my schedule to be a morning person but most of the time I slide in at the last minute. With the drive time to any matches around me, I have to plan that if I go shooting the entire day is dedicated to shooting as when I get home the day is already gone and I am wore out from getting up early. I would shoot an afternoon match as it would just mean I am better rested and it fits my schedule better right now.

Club # 1 starts at 0900, leave home around 7

Club # 2 starts at 0930, leave home around 730.

Club #3 starts at 1000 and is the closest to my home, leave around 9... Do admit I look forward to sleeping in on this day.

Blackey, if it's permitted, maybe spend the night on the range?

Red Storm,  Rooster Corrigan and I usually do that. Have supper, turn on the generator and watch cowboy movies.

Red and I started bringing our motor homes or trailers, setting up the range on Friday, stay overnight and shoot Saturday. Head home after tear down.

Just easier on our older bodies.

Howdy

Don't forget: The later the match starts the later the guys who do all the work, like tearing down the steel after the match, have to stay.

They may not want to stay as long as you do.

We have a small local club that voted to start the matches @ 1000 for all months other than the three hottest summer months.  You can also stay at the range the night before most times.  The match director is diligent about sending out an email reminder a few days before so no one misses the start times.  A bay area club shoots its monthlies at night since its club uses a busy range.

Given the right circumstances and folks open to the idea, adjusted start times can and are used successfully.  Don't expect it to be widely accepted though.

The Cavalier Cowboys in Richmond, VA. hosts an every second Wed. of the month six stage match. Gates open at 10am and shooting starts at 12 noon.

Great in the winter and in the summer we shoot in the shade with large fans.

No thanks......Give me the morning matches that go to 1 or 2. With the FL heat and humidity, that increases as the day progresses, there's no way I'd shoot an afternoon match.

Also gotta work for a living, can't get everything done during the week.....need the weekend also.

Firelands Peacemakers has a fifth Sunday shoot and we don't start until 12:00 pm to let the townsfolk sleep and churches pray in peace!:)

By far, the majority prefer earlier start times. The crews that run the match also have lives and tearing down past dinner time is not something they want to do. "I don't want to get up early" sounds like you don't care enough about the sport to get up?  Schedules can be altered to suit the weather and shooter comfort but changing a start time because you want to sleep later ain't gonna motivate many match directors to change the norm. 

I have to get up for work around 3:50 am when working the day rotation. If I have to wake up early for a cowboy match I figger it ain't work so it's worth it. :D. No problem getting out of bed for something FUN!

Archived