SASS Wire Forum

Traeger Grill Problem UPDATE

Yul Lose

I have a Traeger pellet grill that is about 12 years old that has developed a puzzling problem. The grill will run about 30 seconds on start up and then the GFI will trip. I've replaced the igniter, the control board and the fan/auger assembly and the GFI still trips. I've plugged it into three different GFI outlets and it still trips. Any electrical minds out there. The Traeger dealer is stumped also.

Well after fooling around for about 4 hours and changing out all of the components I found the problem. I removed the power cord and inspected it and the ground lug was hardly crimped and the wire was loose . I stripped the wires and installed new connectors and soldered all three connectors and the problem has disappeared.

More than likely the heating element circuit is getting hot 30 seconds into operation and the circuit is shorting.

I did a search and found this: Scroll Down for answers - http://www.fixya.com/support/t1550837-traeger_bbq_trips_circuit_breaker

This is the Google search that I did: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=traeger+trips+circuit+breaker

Hope that helps.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

More than likely the heating element circuit is getting hot 30 seconds into operation and the circuit is shorting.

I did a search and found this: Scroll Down for answers - http://www.fixya.com/support/t1550837-traeger_bbq_trips_circuit_breaker

This is the Google search that I did: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=traeger+trips+circuit+breaker

Hope that helps.

Yep either the igniter or possibly a fan on delayed start.

I've just installed the third igniter and it did the same thing.

Have you plugged other items into your GFIs to see if they trip. I'm having a similar problem in my garage. It turned out to be bad GFIs. They were about 14 years old. Worth a check, doesn't cost anything to eliminate it. Should be something that provides a similar load.

Did you replace the Hot Rod?

Here's another link where someone had the same problem. http://www.fixya.com/support/t8999662-traeger_keeps_tripping_gfi

This is a copy and paste of what one person found:

This is likely an issue with the hot rod on your grille. These are known to go bad. Easiest way to diagnose this is to unplug the hot rod wiring (Purple/White wires to plastic plug), then start the grille again. If it doesn't trip the GFI, the hot rod is bad. Order your replacement for $27 bucks, install it, and be on your way to more cookin'.

I sure hope you get this resolved, Yul...  

I know several people who own Traegers, and all are happy as clams at high tide with 'em. 

I'd love to have one ~ but gonna have to settle with my "Oklahoma Joe" barrel smoker for a while... in fact, it's smokin' away right now - two tri-tips and three pork shoulders, rubbed down and smokin' with hickory.  ;)

Thanks for the heads up.  I've had mine for a little over a year and had to replace the heating element already.  Other than that, I really like it and can't wait to fire it up this weekend.

1 hour ago, Calamity Kris said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I've had mine for a little over a year and had to replace the heating element already.  Other than that, I really like it and can't wait to fire it up this weekend.

In 12 years I've replaced two heating elements and that's it until now. If I were a better electrician I would have caught the faulty ground connector sooner. It works great now.

14 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I have a Traeger pellet grill that is about 12 years old that has developed a puzzling problem. The grill will run about 30 seconds on start up and then the GFI will trip. I've replaced the igniter, the control board and the fan/auger assembly and the GFI still trips. I've plugged it into three different GFI outlets and it still trips. Any electrical minds out there. The Traeger dealer is stumped also.

Well after fooling around for about 4 hours and changing out all of the components I found the problem. I removed the power cord and inspected it and the ground lug was hardly crimped and the wire was loose . I stripped the wires and installed new connectors and soldered all three connectors and the problem has disappeared.

I was going to suggest exactly what you found the problem to be.

ANOTHER issue is that, if you use an extension cord, is that if you use your regular LONG extension cord (50 to 100 feet) and it's a 14 gauge wire cord, they often cannot handle the load and will trip the breaker in the GFI or your breaker panel.  The fix is to use a much shorter cord or go ahead now and upgrade to a 10 or 12 gauge cord.  I know they are expensive and heavy, but you will be glad that you did.  The cheap cords often do not have quality male/female end connectors.  An electrical shop can sell you a high quality cord, often with a Y female end connector.  

9 hours ago, Cat Brules, SASS #14086 said:

I was going to suggest exactly what you found the problem to be.

ANOTHER issue is that, if you use an extension cord, is that if you use your regular LONG extension cord (50 to 100 feet) and it's a 14 gauge wire cord, they often cannot handle the load and will trip the breaker in the GFI or your breaker panel.  The fix is to use a much shorter cord or go ahead now and upgrade to a 10 or 12 gauge cord.  I know they are expensive and heavy, but you will be glad that you did.  The cheap cords often do not have quality male/female end connectors.  An electrical shop can sell you a high quality cord, often with a Y female end connector.  

And you won't burn your house down.

Check'd with SIL who is a master commercial/industrial electrician. His advise, anytime the GFI starts tripping on a known appliance.

Look at the power supply cord connections and plug, for issues just like Yul found.

Glad it was found-Enjoy the great food you will be making now.B)

OLG 

Archived