SASS Wire Forum

Cowboys/Cowgirls - what would attract you to Wild Bunch?

Grouchy Spike

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This topic has gone to hell in a hand basket! :lol:  Or gone to hand anyway.

Like that humor - we shouldn't be so serious ALL of the time!

When the opportunity presents itself I do shoot Wild Bunch.  That seems to happen about twice a year.

As was noted previously, it is hard to get competent, let alone good, at a game played a couple of times a year.

Wild Bunch shooting started years before SASS formalized it so to speak.  That is when a ton of shooters that had been shooting WB for years quit, me included. The final straw was eliminating a 357 rifle.  There were many other reasons but the rifle requirement was the last straw. I attended two WB briefings at a convention in Ca.  I asked about the rifle rqmt and the speakers were so rude in their answers, half their audiences walked out. 

13 hours ago, Grouchy Spike said:

Bart, I've noticed that as I age, I'm finding more  dust.  Fortunately I am a member of a private gun range so I can practice, and much practice is required.  Do you have a range at which you can conveniently practice?  Does or would your club allow you to shoot the 1911 instead of sixguns during a CAS match.  While not WB that does provide an opportunity to run the 1911.  The coolest nearby opportunity is offered by the Willow Hole Cowboys in North Zulch, Texas where one can shoot full WB in a cowboy match - add 2 magazines and shoot at the rifle targets in addition to two mags at the pistol targets.  Stoked pump too.  I'm enjoying the visits to that club.

A few years ago I figured I needed to become more competent shooting the 45 fast so I started shooting USPSA at a nearby club on Tuesday evenings.  It was fun, and I did learn a lot about shooting the 1911, but that game is different.  

One of the things I learned is I don't hold my semi-auto with both hands properly.   I was told the very first night  by one of the faster shooters that I was basically shooting the 1911 one handed since my weak hand was flapping in the breeze. He said I would be lucky to hit the target at all. He was right I was shooting improperly.  It seems my first real experience with a pistol was CAS.   I learned to shoot cowboy two handed and my weak hand only has one real job, cocking.   My choice was to learn a whole new way to hold a pistol two handed or shoot the 1911 traditional.  Oh, he was wrong about accuracy,.  I was always in the top 2 or three shooting alphas, I just shot a little slower.  If I am going to play that game I need to learn how to shoot faster.  That means I need to re-learn how to hold the pistol. 

My job changed and I had to move to Florida.  I live winters and parts of my summers in West Palm Beach.  That is a town where the ranges are devoted to tactical shooting.  I have to go to Fort Lauderdale or Okeechobee (60 miles north or south) to find a club where I can actually shoot a semi-auto fast.   I took up IDPA, in Okeechobee, but that sport left me cold.   Now I focus on Cowboy Shooting..  

16 hours ago, Gold Canyon Kid #43974 said:

Wild Bunch shooting started years before SASS formalized it so to speak.  That is when a ton of shooters that had been shooting WB for years quit, me included. The final straw was eliminating a 357 rifle.  There were many other reasons but the rifle requirement was the last straw.

What would be the one change that would entice you back into the game? The Rifle requirement?  If not that, what?  Or has the game lost you no matter what?

7 minutes ago, Grouchy Spike said:

What would be the one change that would entice you back into the game? The Rifle requirement?  If not that, what?  Or has the game lost you no matter what?

Too late for me.  I gave all my wild bunch gear to my son.  3 97 shotguns, all the needed leather, lots of 1911 equipment, etc.  I will never go back.  My son is a very fast shooter of 1911s. He does OK with his 97s, and his 45 cal rifle of which he has several.   He to my knowledge has not shot above a local state champ match.  He is match director for his state CAS match this summer and it will have a WB side match.  Due to lack of  Iinterest and staff, there will likely be no state WB championship.  Past scheduling issues with SASS also turned off some of the WB hard workers.  I know a lot of WB shooters thst left the WB game after a year or so and sold all their gear.  They like me still shoot CAS. 

8 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

GCK-You should tell us just who those 'speakers' where........

I think I know who they are-But, YOU were there, I wasn't. -_-

OLG

I prefer to not identify them.  Their answer was to the point and accurate.  WB was a big bore 3 gun game with hot loads dressed as cowboys. "We" wrote the rules to limit the participatiin and to be divorced from the SASS TGs  and SASS rules. . If you do not like it leave. Many including several TGs did. 

1 hour ago, Gold Canyon Kid #43974 said:

Too late for me.  I gave all my wild bunch gear to my son.  3 97 shotguns, all the needed leather, lots of 1911 equipment, etc.  I will never go back.  My son is a very fast shooter of 1911s. He does OK with his 97s, and his 45 cal rifle of which he has several.   He to my knowledge has not shot above a local state champ match.  He is match director for his state CAS match this summer and it will have a WB side match.  Due to lack of  Iinterest and staff, there will likely be no state WB championship.  Past scheduling issues with SASS also turned off some of the WB hard workers.  I know a lot of WB shooters thst left the WB game after a year or so and sold all their gear.  They like me still shoot CAS. 

GCK, hat sounds like the decision was not only final but irrevocable.  Burned the bridge behind you too so it wouldn't be easy to cross it again!  :)  Congrats to Junior for persevering with efforts to promote WBAS.  I urge him to continue with all efforts to increase WBAS participation in monthly matches, whether as part of main CAS match or side match after main match.  Thanks for your replies and your continued support of CAS!

1 hour ago, Gold Canyon Kid #43974 said:

I prefer to not identify them.  Their answer was to the point and accurate.  WB was a big bore 3 gun game with hot loads dressed as cowboys. "We" wrote the rules to limit the participatiin and to be divorced from the SASS TGs  and SASS rules. . If you do not like it leave. Many including several TGs did. 

Looks like they got what they wanted.

7 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Looks like they got what they wanted.

It's not easy to diplomatically say "kiss off" is it?:lol:

When did WBAS become a sanctioned SASS event?

The WB powers that be shot themselves in the foot with their bad attitude and failure to listen to the input from shooters.  Now they wonder why the game is not growing and there are such hard feelings towards WB and WB shooters. 

Grouchy Spike I fear you have a long and difficult road to fixing what they have done.  Good luck to you, I really hope you can succeed in increasing WB attendance.  Create an open category and you will see an increase, but most important, work on the prevailing attitude of those in charge of WB.  Their superior attitude, and failure to listen is the biggest problem.

2 hours ago, Tracker Jack Daniels, 58780 said:

Grouchy Spike I fear you have a long and difficult road to fixing what they have done.  Good luck to you, I really hope you can succeed in increasing WB attendance.  Create an open category and you will see an increase, but most important, work on the prevailing attitude of those in charge of WB.  Their superior attitude, and failure to listen is the biggest problem.

TJD, I don't have any power, but WE do!  3600+ CAS shooters are interested if the number of viewers to this thread is correct (maybe some are checking in often), even those who don't shoot it or quit shooting it are interested.  I'd think that was a sizeable voting block. Many of us want to see a more growth in WBAS, more local activity.  Would this stimulate discussion at the next meeting of the PTB?

Maybe we need a 'community organizer' to mobilize local efforts?  Ah, wash my mouth with soap and slap my hand! :lol:

Seriously, local efforts will make this happen with lots of mentoring of the newbies. Begin with side matches after the CAS main match!

Records should be kept about participation, available from the score sheets, and articles included in the club newsletters reporting on the activities in WBAS.  We've noticed lately what is the 'power of the press' even that press is of dubious quality.

Want an example of what local efforts can accomplish?  Observe the growth in BAMM (Bolt Action Military Match).  Local efforts at the Comanche Valley Vigilantes/Lone Star Frontier Shooting Club translated into BAMM at EOT and WR.  BAMM was established at the Texican Rangers in early 2015 and later that year at the Green Mountain Regulators.  Between these two clubs, plus a couple of visitors, there are about 17 who will shoot BAM Side Matches at various times.  I predict that the participation has not peaked yet. 

CAS shooters don't have a "vote" on WBAS issues, either collectively or through Territorial Governor representation. 

The WBAS RULES COMMITTEE is an independent, autonomous group.

One point that I recall being emphasized during the meeting at which WBAS was officially introduced as a "stand alone" entity is that they do NOT want matches that don't comply with WBAS rules to use the term "WILD BUNCH".

You can present this to the WB committee if you want but NOTHING will change.   Some very good ideas presented here by some very knowledgeable people.  Its to late, hard feeling have been formed and bridges burned.   Wild bunch will remain a small crowd and offered in very limited places.  Bullett 19707 

I'm a fairly new shooter to wb and feel fortunate to have a regular group that shoots wb once a month. I had been away from cas for 2 1/2 yeas because of health issues and other interests. I had observed wb matches and even with the "train wreck" complications from jammed 97s or 1911 failures the game looked fun. So $3350 later I invested in getting all the stuff,,,a slicked up 97 import, a R R1SS, Mernicle leather. Also I needed to start to reload, shooting once a month in socal I had a fellow do my reloading at a reasonable price, but if you're going to shoot 45 colts and 45 acp you need to reload. I guess the point I'm trying to make is it can be expensive and surely there's cheaper and more costly ways of doing it.

My local SASS club has a good group of competitive wb shooters that are willing to pass on lots of good tips and info on wb shooting. Some of my fellow wb shooters only shoot wb...focusing strictly on wb.  I believe wb matches should be shot separate from regular cas matches. The club I shot with in socal would allow several shooters to shoot their 1911s at the monthly matches and I didn't like it.

My 2 cents worth, Angry Ned

8 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

CAS shooters don't have a "vote" on WBAS issues, either collectively or through Territorial Governor representation. 

The WBAS RULES COMMITTEE is an independent, autonomous group.

One point that I recall being emphasized during the meeting at which WBAS was officially introduced as a "stand alone" entity is that they do NOT want matches that don't comply with WBAS rules to use the term "WILD BUNCH".

That's 'rite'-Most of the clubs that shoot this style call'em 'Professionals', and use the very sensible rule/gun mods discussed here.

WBAS RC has been their own worst enemy, and now they see the 'ship' IS sinking-:rolleyes:

Kinda like what happened with SASS Mounted Shooting. <_<

OLG

26 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

That's 'rite'-Most of the clubs that shoot this style call'em 'Professionals', and use the very sensible rule/gun mods discussed here.

WBAS RC has been their own worst enemy, and now they see the 'ship' IS sinking-:rolleyes:

Kinda like what happened with SASS Mounted Shooting. <_<

OLG

Just curious what happened with mounted shooting?

15 hours ago, Gold Canyon Kid #43974 said:

When I took the WB RO class, this was how the instructor was.  Told one guy there will be no changes in the rules.  Also said they weren't going to ruin WB like they did CAS!

Okay...a little confused here, so please forgive my ignorance. I have never read the WBAS rules or attended a shoot.

Let me start by saying I have never really been interested in Wild Bunch. Mostly because I have other hobbies that also take money but also because I got tired of fiddling with 1911's and I like my pump guns but I like mine modern. I did step away from SASS for a few years and in that time WBAS has grown.

My confusion:

Please know that I am not trying to stir trouble and my questions are genuine. Not contrived to spin things up. 

1. It appears that WBAS wants to be completely separate from SASS or CAS. But I had thought that WB was started by SASS but apparently I am reading that this is not the case. Was it or wasn't it?
  2. If WBAS is separate why is is promoted through SASS clubs? Can it not stand alone or does it rely on SASS for attracting membership or participants?
  3. If WBAS and CAS are to be seen as different, why only load 5 rounds in a 1911? You can stoke your '97, it seems, why not the 1911? CAS requires only 5 in the revolver for safety reasons and tradition. No one using a ,45 1911 would have ever loaded 5 for safety even back when they were first made in the early 1900's.
  4. If one can meet the power requirement with their loads with a smaller caliber why not let them shoot it? A .357 with a 158 grain bullet travelling at 950 fps meets the 150 Power Factor at 150.1.
  5. I understand why jacketed ammo is not allowed but the rounds used in the 1911 were jacketed "ball ammunition". If WBAS was trying to be true to what would have been the guns and ammo of that era FMJ ammo would have been used, would it not? Or is WBAS not so much emulating the era (trying not to say reenacting here but...) but are they emulating what it would have been like to use a select group of small arms in that era?
  6. Was the 5 round limit on the handguns originally made the rule so that people could shoot WBAS with CAS guns but at some point someone decided only the 1911 is to be used...but forgot to raise the round count? 
  7. And, lastly - If WBAS is based on the movie Wild Bunch why are the firearms limited to what they are to play the game?

I will say this, I was asked if I shot Wild Bunch a few years ago and I asked if I could just use my CAS guns and the response was "Not your pistols - You get to shoot a 1911 and a '97". If you look at my signature lines you will see one that reflects how I feel about 1911's, and it's not the one about knowing one's limitations ;)

If one were allowed to use the guns that were portrayed in the movie then I would definitely be interested. As it is now, not so much. In my case getting set up for Plainsman has more appeal to me. Just being honest.

Thanks for your thread allowing me to ask my questions, Grouchy Spike. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

...I got tired of fiddling with 1911's and I like my pump guns but I like mine modern. I did step away from SASS for a few years and in that time WBAS has grown.

Tiny little hijack...

Pat,

I have been shooting 1911's for a lot of years, just finally decided to give WB a go. I love it. The 1911 part of it is 1/2 the fun. Multiple reloads on the clock... tests your skill and dexterity under some pressure. What do you mean by "fiddling" with 1911's? Tinkering with or modifying? Keeping running properly? Or just basic maintenance (as opposed to a Glock which can run seemingly forever compared to a 1911). I don't do anything to my 1911's except clean them, lube them and replace the FP spring once in a great moon.Over the decades they have run great (not 100%, but darn near 99%, the trouble spots being a bad mag or bad ammo, both I have found to be rare AND are the same problems one can experience with newer plastic guns) never any trouble with them in IDPA, range time, shooting classes or any other shooting I do with them. I have had more failures to feed or eject with some "cowboy" rifles I shoot regularly. I generally shoots Colt 1911's although my current el cheapo Springfield GI has been 100%.

I love the modern class of shotguns too and they are the cat's meow to shoot but there is something very satisfying about shooting the old pumps. If you don't like the 97 (and I did not for cowboy) try the Winchester model 12. It is WB legal and is much more "modern" than the 97. They work great!

Just my 2 cents.

PR-if you're trying to use logic with WB rules. All I can say is, YOU CAN'T. :rolleyes:

It's like fix'n the gov't.........:lol:

EXAMPLE-Only gun game I have ever seen that mandates you underload one gun(1911)and over load(m-97)rounds in a gun, that was never made to hold as many shells in it's magazine as WB calls for. :wacko:

Say nut'n of the rifle caliber nonsense..........:blink:

Then, there's the attitude of WBAS RC that just plan stinks. Kinda reminds one of that congress critter that said, 'we know what's best'. <_<

OLG

OLG and all, when it's thought about it , and it is quite entertaining. What is it? The wild bunch committee, that what you know cloak and dagger group complete with the secret hand shakes keep'n all the Cowboys from having any fun shooting the WB game ! Don't forget all those snotty WB shooters that actually support them. News Flash , they are us and we are them. The committee is made up of cowboy action shooters! It's all sass,all are sass members with almost all competitors being cowboy action shooters that want a different challenge or that ole burnt out shooter that likes 1911's. The WB game began at local level and yes when the committee organized it things changed but not to keep out shooters it was standardized so anywhere in the country at a state level match we would all have the same rule book. I keep on reading about how the committee doesn't listen, won't change etc. They do listen if not how did the model 12 get here? There has been other changes as well. Are a stable set of rules bad? How long should a grudge be held?  If folks want to shoot wild bunch but don't have the equipment then why don't they approach the match director at the local monthly match and ask for an open class or have a WB side match after cowboy shooting? If you are in a club that shoots a monthly match and you want some form of wild bunch then you have to speak up. Volunteer to help! Get your feet wet,go to the deep end of pool,it could be enjoyable.  Dusty Boddams

Dusty, the WB RC does not listen to the wishes of the majority of cowboy shooters!!  They have been asking FOR YEARS to get the rules changed back to what they were before the WB RC hijacked the game and altered the rules to eliminate the majority of people who were shooting it.  The attitude has been "if you don't like things, tough, go play something else".  Now that we have, they are wondering why they don't have more people playing their game.

Try changing the mightier than thou attitude, give us back what was eliminated.  Only then will some of us come back, till then WB will continue to stagnate and die!

Nice 'spin' Dusty-_--Been to the 'deep-end'. Top many 'waves' to deal with.-_- 

Found another 'pool', that's far more friendly.:) 

I never said 1 word against the WB shooters, and never will. I was one for a spell.....:rolleyes:

Since you are a Moderator in the WB Forum. I would have thought you would be more open to our concerns.

Guess the position that many here have stated about WBAS, has now been shown to all......

Carry on,

OLG 

Why is the 16 gauge 1897 not allowed, Dusty? Every WB shooter that I've observed uses light loads so power can't be a factor if that's the argument.

IMO I hate pump shotguns so opening up the Sgs to 87s and sass would b,e nice but I would have to find my wb 1911 because my ruger is too short and my Kimber is illegal infer current rules.

To all who replied and to all who viewed this thread, Many Thanks!  These are awesome contributions to the growth of our sport!

I note that Dusty Boddams has commented while I draft this.

It appears to me that there are bunch of cowboys/cowgirls 'hiding in their magazines' who would welcome the opportunity to try this game. Being as this is a highly intelligent group of shooters, let's brainstorm a bit about moving shooters toward Wild Bunch. These are not organized thoughts yet, just random. And they are not cleaned up for grammar and composition either as you've noticed.

This  a group that LIKES to shoot. Convince me that cowboys and cowgirls don't like to shoot guns.  Many welcome the opportunity to shoot different types of guns. Aha!  That is the market that I address!

Many like to EXCEL too, to be THE best, as described by Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.  Here's an opportunity to excel in a closely related discipline.

WBAS has some similarities to CAS so it's not a completely new game like IPSC etc, but uses one different weapon from CAS weapons. ONE! And a couple of different and additional requirements - Caliber, gauge, minimum power factor com to mind.  It doesn't seem to me to be a quantum leap to shoot WBAS.  It does require different skills related to the 1911, and while that is  a challenge early on  is not insurmountable challenge.  It's a challenge, not obstacle.

I agree with the theory to which  Dusty Boddams subscribes  - if you don't get those potential WBAS shooters into the pew, you can't baptize them.  How to get those shooters into the pew?  Let's think POSITIVE thoughts here!  Certainly you cowboys and cowgirls don't begin a match thinking that you will not do well, will have many misses, and have five "P"s per match.  You have this vision of doing well, maybe even a vision of being #1 in your category. Remain positive while promoting  WBAS!

PWB makes a good point about distinguishing other but similar games from WBAS with an identity other than 'Wild Bunch'.  I agree, that's important, let's pay attention to that in our efforts.  He mentioned 'The Professionals' as one identity.  Texas Historical Shooting Society has a model for success, as Brazos John described in an earlier post.

If you want a movement, such as promoting WBAS, start simple and grow.  Relax the requirements! Begin with a side match - call it a Renegade Match or something which captures attention and imagination. CAS and WBAS shooters could identify with  'Renegade". Have you ever met such a group of individualists yet who are respectful of discipline and some measure of conformity?  Make this FUN! 

Use any semiauto pistol (any caliber, any model) and a pump shotgun (any gauge, any model).  Likely there will be a 1911 or two included.  Shoot it up, whoop it up!  Use any refile or eliminate the rifle.  Stage the 1911 magazines, no mag pouches needed. Use a cowboy holster, no WB holster needed.  Or stage the pistol too.  If there is participation in such a 'Renegade" side match, some will likely upgrade to 1911s.  When there is sufficient participation, add a Wild Bunch match concurrent with the Renegade Match for scoring purposes.

Mentor those who have few skills, or have difficulties with operation and maintenance of the semiauto.  It's helpful to offer some reloaded  ammo with cast bullets, maybe even a pistol, to some who are interested while you promote the side match.  I used this technique with good success. Ask Leather Lung, who morphed from being a spectator to a CAS shooter, to a WBAS shooter, to a BAMM shooter!  He was kinda easy, likes to shoot!

For a 5-round magazine in the SG, use 2 1/2" shotshells from Polywad.com to increase the capacity, or load one over the top. No big deal.

Stick with the 5-round magazine for the 1911 because CAS shooters are accustomed to Base5 math!  Many even count to ten by counting to five twice.  Keep it simple and the transition from sixguns to semiautos is easier.

Malfunction drills are an important part of WBAS, as they are to shooting any semiauto.  Those are learned quickly.  The quality of reloaded ammo ammo is critical to smooth operation of semiauto, including the 1911.  If I  learned how to load quality ammo in 9mm, 40S&W, and 45 aCP, anybody can learn.  Mentoring of newbies is needed here, as much as it's needed in operation and maintenance of the 1911.

The 1911 pistol is part of a system - pistol, ammo, and magazine. One could included the shooter too - grip and limp-wristing for example.  Quality magazines are recommended.  Some mags work better than others in a 1911.  It's a matter of trial and error.  Numbering magazines with an electric pencil helps to keep track of magazine problems and upgrades. "Let me think - when did I last change the Magazine spring? Last year, or two years ago?"  Keeping a record of maintenance, repairs and upgrades to the pistol are also important.  "Let me think - when did I last change the recoil spring? Last year, or two years ago?  What is the weight of that recoil spring?" 

I'm no expert, not even close, but I've listed to and learned from experts including some on the WB forums - Dusty Boddams, Garrison Joe, Boggus Deal, Goatneck Clem to name a few.  They must be experts to be so consistent in their performance. And some of my friends may say that I'm a slow learner too! :lol:

Create a stage and scenario, should your club and range configuration allow it, which is unique.  The Blazing Saddles stage which many have shot at Comancheria Days matches, is and example.  The shooter rides the 'horse' while blazing away with two sixguns or a 1911 with two magazines.  It's a 55 gal drum on it's side with a horse head and saddle, anchored to a trolley which rides rails after release.  The shooter fires at targets set to the side of the rails while riding the horse.  Must be about 40 yards of rails, uses bungy cords to decelerate ant stop the horse.

Back up to the basic equation for a transaction.  Before you do anything, even making morning coffee, you make a calculation with this equation:  Benefit minus Cost equals Value.

When the Cost is less than the Benefit, there is positive Value and a transaction occurs.

What's the Benefit to you when shooting CAS?  There are many but those are individual judgements.  However ALL CAS shooters consider that Benefit is greater than the Cost, the Value is positive, so they shoot!

Benefits are mostly intangible, can't touch them or see them.  Cost is not all money - its time and effort, particularly emotional effort (train wrecks, feathers instead of chicken, etc).  Important to remember this about Cost.  I believe that the emotional Cost of WBAS affects high-performance CAS champions.  The process of learning a new skill set for the 1911 can place those champions at the bottom of the score sheet for a while.  Dusty Boddams did it, Evil Roy did it, Captain Sam Evans did it,  among many others. Nobody to my knowledge ever began WBAS at the top of the score sheet. Newbies to WBAS made a commitment to practice, absorbed whatever Cost was incurred, made a commitment to doing well..  You can too. 

That equation works for all WBAS shooters too.  I'll bet that the WBAS Benefits are similar to CAS Benefits, although initially the Cost is higher  Not just the cost of the 1911 and magazines and dies and brass and bullets, but the emotional Cost too.  Have you WBAS shooters ever experienced the temptation to throw that troublesome 1911 or Model 97 downrange and be done with it?  Those problems generate a high Cost during the heat of battle!  In the April WBAS match that I participated, most M97s and M12s (yes them too) were acting up by the last stage.  Several 1911s did too.  Only one M97 hadn't had a mechanical malfunction in the match but the shooter had a brain fart on Stage 3 and forgot to stoke the M97 at the loading table.  His response to the click-stroke-click during the shotgun sequence and discovery of an empty magazine was as humorous to him as it was to the  posse.  This shooter usually finishes first in category at local WBAS matches too.

In summary fellow CAS shooters, I recommend that you make a local  effort to start or increase participation in WBAS matches, whether they be side matches or main matches.  You've read about the objections to WBAS.  Not all can be overcome, particularly those objections which generate strong emotions. Start local, start simple and easy; be flexible, mentor and support each other; talk it up; shoot it up; and have fun. I predict that your local WBAS WILL grow!

Now I'll start a thread aimed at Texas cowboys and cowgirls about their participation in WBAS and the Texas State WB Match coming up in November. 

Last thought - you don't have to be good at shooting WBAS to enjoy it!  You merely need an enjoyment of the challenge.

9 minutes ago, Blackey Cole said:

IMO I hate pump shotguns so opening up the Sgs to 87s and sass would b,e nice but I would have to find my wb 1911 because my ruger is too short and my Kimber is illegal infer current rules.

I'm a bit confusticated here, BC.  Your have a WB 1911 but can't find it?  You hate pump SGs and won't use one?  I'm not understanding your objections to YOUR participation in WBAS!  Please clarify.

If your WB 1911 is lost (horrors, how deep is your gun safe) would not your local club allow you to join the game with your short Ruger (Commander?) as in shoot what you bring, in an open category?  Is your Kimber a 9mm?  Sounds like candidates for another open category.  No pump, use a SxS or a M87 in open category.

No flexibility for an Open Category by local club management?  Appeal, talk it up, explain the benefits of increased participation to the management!  The rules are etched in stone only for state and higher matches, local clubs have flexibility. 

27 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Why is the 16 gauge 1897 not allowed, Dusty? Every WB shooter that I've observed uses light loads so power can't be a factor if that's the argument.

Yul Lose, in many local matches the 16 gauge is allowed in an Open Category. I can't off hand remember what is your position on WB, but I think you don't participate.  Throw rocks, grenades, and flaming arrows  if I'm wrong, and accept my apologies.

Is the gauge a sticking point that hinders YOUR participation in local WBAS,  or is this a rhetorical question?  Will the explanation (if there is one) unhinder your participation in WBAS?

Apologies, double posted.  I'm having difficulties with the reply function.  Senioritis likely the cause.

1 hour ago, Tracker Jack Daniels, 58780 said:

Dusty, the WB RC does not listen to the wishes of the majority of cowboy shooters!!  They have been asking FOR YEARS to get the rules changed back to what they were before the WB RC hijacked the game and altered the rules to eliminate the majority of people who were shooting it.  The attitude has been "if you don't like things, tough, go play something else".  Now that we have, they are wondering why they don't have more people playing their game.

Try changing the mightier than thou attitude, give us back what was eliminated.  Only then will some of us come back, till then WB will continue to stagnate and die!

TJD, you have been around long enough to know that change begins with conversation. I truly respect your opinion but how would you have a state level competition with all these different guns ? Would you have a whole bunch of different classes? I see that as a nightmare to organize.  As far as the mightier than thou attitude have you spoke with any of these gentleman? I haven't seen this attitude lately. Is that something that was around in 2010? 

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Nice 'spin' Dusty-_--Been to the 'deep-end'. Top many 'waves' to deal with.-_- 

Found another 'pool', that's far more friendly.:) 

I never said 1 word against the WB shooters, and never will. I was one for a spell.....:rolleyes:

Since you are a Moderator in the WB Forum. I would have thought you would be more open to our concerns.

Guess the position that many here have stated about WBAS, has now been shown to all......

Carry on,

OLG 

OLG, Nice spin on your part.  You either didn't read my post or read between some lines that didn't exist and closed me out by saying I'm not open to your concerns. Please reread what I said! I am saying we are all in the same pool and all CAS shooters. My point was its easy to talk negative about "them" whoever they are.  If you read my earlier post it explained our open class at our monthly shoots . We want folks to use this to try WB without spending money on a try. Remember the model 12 was no way no how. Somebody listened. 

Archived