SASS Wire Forum

73 Problem

Smoken D

Have a 73 Uberti rifle in 357. The firing pin extension is getting jamed/stuck when at full cock on the hammer. Kind of tough to bring the extension back forward. What's a fix? It may not be the hammer's fault, may be something that causes the jam when fully open.

Is the hammer full cock notch damaged so that the hammer won't go to full cock position and stay there, but it comes forward with the FPE, thus jamming it?  If that is what is happening, you probably have damaged the "upper trigger" (aka, sear) tip or (less likely) torn off part of the full cock notch.

Good luck, GJ

2 hours ago, Smokestack said:

If you hold the hammer down with your thumb while you cycle it, does it still stick?

+1 for what he asked...

I bent lower tab on the bolt can jam the bolt in the receiver when fully open.   No need to ask how I know as I am posting from personal experience.

WK

2 hours ago, Whiskey_Kid said:

+1 for what he asked...

I bent lower tab on the bolt can jam the bolt in the receiver when fully open.   No need to ask how I know as I am posting from personal experience.

WK

Have run into this on 2 occasions. Bolt tab bends down slightly instead of breaking.   GW

Have you ruled out the weapon simply being dirty and the firing pin sticking?

4 hours ago, Smokestack said:

If you hold the hammer down with your thumb while you cycle it, does it still stick?

Yep, that's it

2 hours ago, Whiskey_Kid said:

+1 for what he asked...

WK

44 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Have run into this on 2 occasions. Bolt tab bends down slightly instead of breaking.   GW

Held the hammer down to clear the extension and yep, gotta pop it back into battery. I watched that lower tab and could tell that was what was holding it up. To file or send back to Cody again that is the question. Thanks everyone.

1 minute ago, Smoken D said:

I watched that lower tab and could tell that was what was holding it up. To file or send back to Cody again that is the question. 

Ain't no question.   A tab that is bent is GOING to break because it's 

1. fatigued and weakened, bending it back would weaken it more, filing on it will weaken it more. 

2. bent tab almost always due to poorly timed lifter (carrier) movement.  If not timed properly, tab will break off next time the timing glitch occurs.

Good luck, GJ

1 minute ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Ain't no question.   A tab that is bent is GOING to break because it's 

1. fatigued and weakened, bending it back would weaken it more, filing on it will weaken it more. 

2. bent tab almost always due to poorly timed lifter (carrier) movement.  If not timed properly, tab will break off next time the timing glitch occurs.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks, will talk with Cody since I sent the breech block not that long ago for the same repair. Another $80

2 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

Thanks, will talk with Cody since I sent the breech block not that long ago for the same repair. Another $80

That REALLY says the timing needs checking.  Twice in a short time.  Ouch.  He'll need the gun to adjust timing.

GJ

Just now, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

That REALLY says the timing needs checking.  Twice in a short time.  Ouch.  He'll need the gun to adjust timing.

GJ

Wanted to send the entire gun the first time, he just wanted the breech block. Maybe this time

Welcome to the game!  Money well spent is hard to figure ...where and when.

Archived