SASS Wire Forum

American derringer verses bond arms

Trigger Mike

I bought a used American derringer 45/410 but the hammer is stiff as a brick and it kicks like a strangers mule.  is the hammer easier to pull back on the bond arms usually?  hows the recoil on Bond?  I assume the same.

I have a Bond and love it.  But then, I have a strong hammer-cocking finger and enjoy painful recoil.

45/410 derringers are not meant for comfort or extended shooting sessions, but they're still a lot of fun!

Bond makes a rubberized grip for their gun.  It helps immensely compared to the original wood grips.

I had an American derringer in .357 Mag and Have a Bond in .357, .45Colt and .410/.45 colt.The recoil isn't that bad even with 3 inch .410 PDX ammo. The bond can be tuned easier and you have many more choices in caliber. The owner of Bond used to work for American derringer, but left to build his own gun when the owner of American derringer wouldn't listen to his ideas o how to make the gun better. You can't go wrong with a Bond.

Bonds are good until you put a 454 in it. The gun can take it but you'll be a needin surgery or a cast.

I had buckshot bounce off of 3/4" plywood at four feet.

Deringers ain't for wimps. :D I had an American. I liked it better than the Bond.

The kid needs a little training.

Old man, gets his grip, has it where he wants it, thumbcocks it with his left hand. 

The kid, cocks it, then starts fiddling with it, getting a grip. If it had decided to go BANG while he was doing that (and both times he had that left hand awful close to the muzzle when he was screwing around) he'd have probably needed the horspital to get the gun unstuck from his forehead, and to see about getting that left index finger reattached.

IMHO, Deringers are a curiosity and conversational item more than a practical firearm. ;)

I like my A. D. M1!  It's small enough to slide into my back pocket and the smooth lines make it easier to retrieve. I use Hornady Critical Defense in .45 Colt!  It's a great "GET OFF ME!!" gun!!

You can re-arch the mainspring to lower the hammer tension and I had the grips aggressively checkered to improve control!  Two shots in 0.45 seconds on a target at 10' starting from gun in hand pointed at the floor.  Mine has no front sight and is useless at any greater range than ten feet if you have to hurry.  I have done ten yards, taking time to aim very carefully and compensate for the lack of a front sight.

Utah Bob is absolutely correct, unless that's all you have at your disposal!!

Archived