SASS Wire Forum

Seasoning shotshell belt loops

Roscoe Regulator

My new shot shell belt from TripleK has loops that initially are crazy tight, probably for good reason. I have plastic hull shells in them to get the stretching started. I just don't see this being ready for a match. Any suggestions? I do have some of the holster fitting goo, Galco Draw-EZ.

If leather, get them soaking wet in cold water, put real shells into the loops and let them dry at room temperature for a day or two.  Just like fitting a holster to a gun.

My shotshell belt has canvas loops which were very tight and stiff when new.  I pounded them with a rubber mallet on the garage concrete floor.  Think tenderizing a steak!:lol:

Wrap two layers of electrical tape around some old shells you don't care about throwing out.  Shove those in the loops for a week.

A little slower, but it will do the trick.

Good luck, GJ

Fought with a stubborn canvas belt years ago. Ended up cutting 7/8 wood dowels . Slightly oversize, you cpuld sand tem down , but mine are working fine.  GW

52 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Wrap two layers of electrical tape around some old shells you don't care about throwing out.  Shove those in the loops for a week.

A little slower, but it will do the trick.

Good luck, GJ

This, and a few drops of water on loops. ;)

OLG

JBar is spot on. While the other method will work, they will not actually "form" in place.

Lay the belt on a flat surface and mist loops til wet all the way through. Insert shotgun rounds into loops and let dry. Sunshine is the best dryer. Pull the rounds out and let it get really dry. During all this time the belt is laying flat on a flat surface. When you insert the rounds now and strap on the belt, the little bit of wrap will create just enough tension.

I have a Triple K belt, sprayed the loops with alcohol inserted taped empty shells let it dry worked great.  How many loops does your belt have?  My belt had 20 loops, I removed 10 and put a piece of rawhide about 3/4 inch up from the bottom of the loops so the shells would be not fully seated in the loops,they stick part ways out of the top.  I put the rawhide five loops per rawhide lace, and I wear the belt backwards.

Although alcohol will work, it is more damaging to the leather.

The idea to have the leather only partially holding the shell (a little less than 1/2 of the shell) is a good idea - if your belt is holding too much of the shell.

In my original belt, I put wooden dowels in the bottom, glued them in AND used a decorative tack to fully hold the dowel in.  The shell then only goes in part way.

A little water is your friend.

Only put them in about half way, make sure there in far enough not to fall out and put 2 in skip 1 depending on what you're shooting 

Lots of good ideas. I've been thru this a few times. I wrapped two Snap Cap SG shells into a microfiber washcloth sized cloth & then shoved them into the loops. Let them sit for 5 days to a week. I'm sure it would work with regular SG shells also.

My belt is dry now, and the shells I left in the loops are sliding in and out without much trouble, certainly a good position for breaking in further. I was able to saturate just the loops and the thread by using a serving tray to hold a shallow pool of water, allowing the belt to stay pretty much dry. I left it like that over night. The loops with shells inserted dried for two days before I returned to it. I will leave the shells in place for now, ensuring no shrinkage without them. I filled all the loops, although quite aware that I would ultimately be using pairs of loops and skipping one between. I dried the belt loop side up and flat with a weight on top to take the curl of the belt out. For now, the belt is hanging by the buckle, letting the weight of the shells keep it straight. What all this did is form part of a loop into the back of the belt, actually the dry part. I wonder if I should have wetted the whole belt. Seems to have worked, so probably not.

A small amount of common sense on a new piece of leather. Its new and you expect it to be perfect. Its up to you. Leave the poor belt alone.

Stick one smooth sided 12 G shell into the loop and let sit for a weak or more if its tight in the loop. If its not tight send it back.

4 hours ago, SlicLee SASS #16638 Life said:

A small amount of common sense on a new piece of leather. Its new and you expect it to be perfect. Its up to you. Leave the poor belt alone.

Stick one smooth sided 12 G shell into the loop and let sit for a weak or more if its tight in the loop. If its not tight send it back.

You make it sound like leather cartridge belts don't commonly need to be broken in. Like a good holster, it starts out snug, unless you are using 44 in a 45 belt.. I own eight cartridge belts and bandoliers, seven of them leather and a couple pretty top shelf leatherwork. This 12 GA belt is the first one that needs to be pretty loosey and in short order. I had hoped to accelerate the process, and applying the advice I was given here worked perfectly.

Archived