SASS Wire Forum

ear plugs

Roscoe Regulator

Calvin D Morris  is pictured here at the Greenville Gunfighters wearing an example of the style of ear plug I see many wearing in pictures. I wonder if someone can point me toward brand, model, and source.

example of ear plugs.jpg

I have had great luck with the do-it-yourself kit from Midway. They are cheap enough that you can waste one kit learning and still save money. Just follow ALL of the directions COMPLETELY and you will be happy. I've spent $50.00 on custom plugs that didn't fit as well. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2099196673/radians-do-it-yourself-custom-molded-ear-plug-kit-nrr-26-db-silicone

Roscoe:

Like you, I had seen many different types of earplugs being used by many of my Posse members.

Back in December 2015 I posted a similar question since I was new to CAS. 

5938545e860ed_OptionsonHearingProtectionOptionsThread.JPG.db5cb764d308ad0be00d205cb9ea586d.JPG

You can find the thread by going to GOOGLE and type in as follows:

5938564967743_GOOGLESearch-OptionsonHearingProtectionOptionsThread.JPG.5d20606b6dd19d9f75d023fbb4880641.JPG

I Decided to try out the Decibullz brand which can be purchased from their website: https://www.decibullz.com/product/custom-molded-earplugs/?attribute_pa_color=orange&gclid=CK6TqKq7rNQCFdc9gQodoK4IIw

It is a kit as well; however, you merely heat the material in water and shape to your ear canal.

Comes with an NRR 31 rating.

593853ccbd3d1_DecibullzEarPlugs-RESIZED.jpg.d14525872ffd8c6565ea951ed72a3f9a.jpg

Hope this helps.

The DIY plugs available from Midway, Cabelas and others work OK, but the material supplied, usually, isn't as much as the handmade plugs.  If you go the DIY route make sure you really push the material into your ears so that it really sets deeply (not so far that you can't get it out).  If not, they will let more noise in that a hand fitted set.

I have 2 sets like the ones pictured. I had them custom fit and made at the Yuma annual Breakout shoot by a vendor. Can't really remember the name. Had them for 10 or so years and no problems.

Tommy made my 2nd set of molded plugs, first by him.

1st set shrank and hardened in 2 years.

Tommy's are 3 years old and still soft.

His polymers are blessed by OSHA, if that is an indorsement, LOL!

Look for Scarlet and Tommy at your next Major.

Amarillo Rattler

Realize that over time, your ears change shape.  So I have had to replace ear plugs after a few years due to that.

Interestingly enough, one set that i had to replace now fit again 4 years after I replaced them!

NRR of 31 is pretty good.  That will reduce the sound by about 13 dbm.  I know, sure is strange numbers.

Tommy made the whole Morris family their earplugs...and most of the cowboys/cowgirls you'll see around SC.  

1 hour ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Realize that over time, your ears change shape.  So I have had to replace ear plugs after a few years due to that.

Interestingly enough, one set that i had to replace now fit again 4 years after I replaced them!

NRR of 31 is pretty good.  That will reduce the sound by about 13 dbm.  I know, sure is strange numbers.

If you lose/gain weight (25-30) ( is what we were taught at "earplug school" ) that can cause ear canal shape change...

thats funny that your old set fits again! 

Scarlett

8 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Tommy made the whole Morris family their earplugs...and most of the cowboys/cowgirls you'll see around SC.  

Yep, just about everyone I know has em'......I like mine!

Some time ago, I bought a pair of custom-molded ear protection ear plugs from two ladies who usually have a vendor tent/table set up do this on-site at the club's annual match.  These plugs eleminate pretty much all sound, to the extent I am unable to hear past them to hear voice communications on and off the firing line.  I've tried several different tapered commercial foam ear plugs, however I found that the ones that work best for me are the plain, cylindrical foam ear plugs.  Walmart is one source for these.

All of the large shoots I have been to have someone making custom plugs, but my advise would be to inquire at your local club.  Ask people where they got their plugs.  Eventually you will find a local source.

Tommy will be making his excellent custom molded ear plugs at Black Gold (KY), Guns of August (OH), Virginia, Ruckus (NY), South Carolina, New Jersey, North Carolina and the SE Regional.  

If youre local (SC), he will make them by appointment. 

He guarantees them, too! Plus, if they are "too good", there are things he can do to let a little more sound in. 

Scarlett

Tommy's #1 Fan :wub:

Here's another 'plug' for Tego earplugs.  I've tried multiple disposable, doityerself, and had three custom sets made.  Tommy's, by far, are the best of all I've tried.  While the expandable foam plugs do block the sound, they become uncomfortable after a short period of time, even painful eventually.  Tommy's fit perfectly, provide good sound protection and are comfortable ALL DAY!

Scarlett, we'll see y'all in Kentucky next month!

1 hour ago, Titus A. Gnatsass, SASS #71705 said:

Scarlett, we'll see y'all in Kentucky next month!

Edited 1 hour ago by Titus A. Gnatsass, SASS #71705

Thanks, Titus!  Can't wait to see you and Fanny!  It's gonna be so fun!

+1 on the two Good Comment.  When Tommy made mine I could hear myself think ( bad thing)  he fixed them and They are Great !  plan on getting a pair for W@#K when we see him at Black Gold.

Archived