SASS Wire Forum

B-3 Bomber Jacket

Offered here for your consideration is a 100% US Made B-3 bomber jacket, authentic in its reproduction down to the Talon zipper which was specified by contract on the originals in WWII. This jacket was manufactured by Vanson Leathers in Massachusetts with whom I was associated in a number of capacities over a span of eighteen years, starting as a dealer and culminating as the territory manager for the Mid-Atlantic and Europe. This jacket is a standard US size 44, both the shearling and the cowhide are domestically sourced and domestically tanned. It differs from an original in one aspect only: on the original the cowhide sleeve patches and map pocket were tan as opposed to the walnut on this jacket. A quick Google search will show B-3 style jackets with two handwarmer pockets but the original government contract specified one map pocket only: Uncle Sam did not want his boys standing around with their hands in their pockets!

This is a beast of a jacket. I have carried it with me for about fifteen years, always properly stored, and hardly worn it. I bought it because it is beautiful but I just have not had much occasion to wear it. That and I haven't been a size 44 for some time. The National Geographic website shows a similar style for sale for $1050 and the Schott website (a friendly competitor back in the day) shows their equivalent for $1270, both no doubt fine jackets but not nearly the coat offered here.

Leather garment manufacturing in the US was a robust industry up until the turn of the millennia but imports from China and the middle east have all but crushed it. The EPA restrictions have choked tanneries out of business, the sourcing of much of America's beef from south America have dried up the supply of hides for the few tanneries that are left and the infrastructure that supplied findings to the industry are all gone. I'm not overselling it to say that this coat is a piece of history, and you can take that from an old coat salesman.

$475 shipped and insured to your door.

B-3 1.JPG

B-3 2.JPG

B-3 3.JPG

Edited by Lead Friend, SASS #53635
title

Thank you Allie Mo for un-archiving this for me. There was a deal in place for it that did not materialize so it is once again available and still an awesome coat!

Thanks for looking.

Howdy Cowboys and Cowgirls,

This is too much coat to not get worn and I have outgrown it and will not  wear it again.  This coat needs a new and loving home where it will provide many decades of ongoing service as well as historical reference. I am not specifically wedded to the asking price but a fella has to start somewhere. I am open to interesting offers both monetary and trade. I have received a number of PM inquiries about it so I know some of you are thinking about it. Now is the time to make a bold move.

That is a gorgeous jacket. Classy too. I wish it was either larger or I was smaller.

:D

Some years back in my moto-adventuring days I had a Vanson leather riding jacket. Superbly made, top quality. When I got out of riding I also sold the jacket. I should have never done that. Got an offer I could not refuse but darn, I miss that coat. Great jacket! Vanson is fantastic leather apparel. I am sure this Vanson solidly maintains that reputation. 

Thank you, Dan. As a coat salesman I've probably owned twenty Vanson jackets. They came and they went and I never bothered to count how many. Even had a set of jacket and pants cut off me by the paramedics when I hit a bear outside of Markleeville in the Sierras (true story). The R100RS was totaled and I got a helicopter ride. Good times. Alas, the glory days are gone and all I have left are scars and a limp and my memories (the older I get the faster I was) and a few prized gems left from my coat collection, this B-3 chief among them. It's seen more action being taken in and out of storage than it has being worn. Step right up! Don't let this opportunity pass you by! Every time I check back the view count has climbed. Someone out there is thinkin' about it.