SASS Wire Forum

WTC (Hum?)

Silver Shadow

From my perspective as an observing, waiting brass picker.

Shooter is engaging a 10 pistol string.

First pistol goes as planned.

Second pistol refuses to light off one round. Shooter goes around, seems like a couple times. (bad primer, multiple thumb interferences, unknown reason, ?)

Instead of declaring a malfunction, or just giving up on the round, shooter reaches for his belt and loads the empty chamber of the offending pistol and engages his last target (I assume to maintain his clean match), then continues with the stage. 

My question is: since no malfunction was declared, which would have negated any penalty in the offending gun for an unfired round, does the shooter earn the "unfired round" five second penalty for, essentially, the sixth round in the pistol that didn't get fired? Or can a malfunctioning portion of the cylinder be implied, rendering the penalty moot? Or am I just thinking to much?

(lets assume the live round wasn't holstered under the hammer)

It would seem that if the shooter had declared the malfunction, and chose to load one in the first pistol to clean his string, then, all would be well.

What say you?

SS

Shooter did no wrong. Except by holstering IF the live round is under the hammer he earns that penalty. Better to declare broke and lay it down. Then even if it under the hammer no penalty is earned.

no call since he fired the last round,,, there wasn't a live shell under the hammer

Not thinking too much, but you WERE thinking wrong!  

Did the shooter shoot all rounds for revolvers which were specified by the stage instructions?   Yes, he did.  So there can be NO penalty for a round-not-fired-counted-as-miss. He reloaded properly with a round carried by him to the line to make up for what was a no-fire round in the second revolver.   

Shooter did not leave an unfired round under the hammer of revolver.

So, no penalty.

DO NOT confuse a penalty situation from leaving an unfired round in a long gun (resulting in MSV or even SDQ (if chambered)) with leaving an unfired round in the revolver (which is quite allowable, as long as the round is not under the hammer when holstering the revolver). 

Good luck, GJ

Ok, I did not pay close enough attention to the new power point style ROI manual as well as I should have, but this question appears to be answered quite well on page 69, second bullet point two:

"Inadvertantly left rounds in a revolver are misses..."

My apparently not as sharp as I would like memory did not recall the "inadvertant' descriptor in the former lists of 5 second penalties for rounds left unfired in revolvers.

Thanks for your input fellas, now I'd better concentrate more on finding that elusive tenth piece of brass.

Thanks 

SS

The training manual is MUCH less precise than the Shooter's Handbook.   I do not use it for resolving rules disputes.  It's a good course outline.  Let's leave it at that. 

Good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Silver Shadow said:

Ok, I did not pay close enough attention to the new power point style ROI manual as well as I should have, but this question appears to be answered quite well on page 69, second bullet point two:

"Inadvertantly left rounds in a revolver are misses..."

My apparently not as sharp as I would like memory did not recall the "inadvertant' descriptor in the former lists of 5 second penalties for rounds left unfired in revolvers.

Thanks for your input fellas, now I'd better concentrate more on finding that elusive tenth piece of brass.

Thanks 

SS

Inadvertently leaving unfired rounds in a revolver are misses unless there is an unfired round under the hammer, then it is a stage disqualification.

RO1 V.21.6 p.24

REF ALSO (page 2):

SHOOTER'S CHOICE

Archived