SASS Wire Forum

75 Years Ago

Subdeacon Joe

https://www.thecipherbrief.com/column/strategic-view/battle-midway-still-teaches-value-intelligence-decisive-action-1091

June 4 marks the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Midway, the greatest naval battle in American history and the turning point of World War II in the Pacific. At Midway, a larger Japanese fleet was surprised and defeated by smaller, less combat-experienced U.S. naval forces. Victory was enabled by superb intelligence, advanced by sound decision-making, and assured by skill, courage, and sacrifice. Its lessons for war planning, war fighting, and war winning are as applicable today as they were in 1942. 

For me, this has always been one of the most fascinating battles of the war. I just posted about it on Facebook. The story of USS Yorktown alone is amazing to me. Weeks in dry dock was exchanged for a couple of days of patching to get her sailing. As I mentioned there, it has long seemed to me that very little went right for the Americans, but enough went right to seal a victory.

Archived