SASS Wire Forum

Fidget Spinner?

Subdeacon Joe

Nothing new. I have an 1800s watch fob with a crystal spinner on it. It was to keep a gentleman's hands "at ease". :D

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Modern snake oil to separate fools and their money.

Yep, look how many people bought rocks back in the 70's. :lol:. That guy made millions. 

Is this, or a variation of, what you gents are talking about?

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/addictive-fidget-toys-5a0499ed-c359-475f-ba1e-dff053141811

Or this:

Image result for modern fidget spinner

So these are called "fidget spinners"?! This thing I pictured above is what the chubby hipster at Safeway was twirling around as he scanned my groceries the other day. He was trying to scan my apples and roll the bag around one handed looking for the idiot tag. I said "IF you put you little toy down you'll have better luck". He gave me a dirty look and put his Idiot Spinny Thingy in his pocket.

Flippin' Annoying!

The sales of small cam rollers must be going through the roof.

Cam rollers are small bearing units that are in many machines, including office printers.  Kind of limited usage until now, since every spinner at least cam roller.

My 8 year old grandson has one and thinks it's the coolest thing. I looked at it and said, "does it do anything else?" That was two weeks ago and I'll bet he's already tired of it.

I remember click clacks. Ouch.

My attempts at the paddle and ball looked like Governor LePetomane

To me it's one thing for kids to have "toys" like this. In some ways it could be a curiosity for them. Maybe make them think "How does this work"? Or "How do they make these"? But adults? Here is a graph a copied on the sales of these things. Now, the adult sales may be purchases for kids...but I doubt all of them air.IMG_2702.thumb.JPG.e496a7e1b1a000a5431637a692ce0472.JPG

7 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

To me it's one thing for kids to have "toys" like this. In some ways it could be a curiosity for them. Maybe make them think "How does this work"? Or "How do they make these"? But adults? Here is a graph a copied on the sales of these things. Now, the adult sales may be purchases for kids...but I doubt all of them air.IMG_2702.thumb.JPG.e496a7e1b1a000a5431637a692ce0472.JPG

Could be they are buying them to give to their kids.

11 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

At least it doesn't require a computer chip or power source.  It might be perfect if it came in desert camo colors

Be careful what you wish for. B) They come in every color and pattern imaginable.

Hand-Fidget-Spinner-Toy-Camo-Precision-B

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Could be they are buying them to give to their kids.

Could be. I actually meant to say that. Thanks Joe

Harmless and good for the economy.

There's one born every minute.

;)

2 hours ago, Chantilly Shooter said:

This is the only care or notice I've had for 'fidget spinners' so far. Admittedly, they do make nifty targets.

I could watch her all day.

The interesting thing about these gadgets is that they were designed to help people with autism. ADHD and other such conditions. 

Reminds me of the many "desktop toys" I've seen over the years.

A few decades ago I had a small planetary gear assembly on my desk... just to fidget with. :)

See lots of complaining and rightfully so in some instances but they are a toy for children. My five year old and eight year old boys live playing with them. I bet if any of you picked one up you would have a hard time not playing with it yourself. 

They were designed with autistic children in mind.  There is a bucket full of different figits available.

I think they are just fine for CHILDREN. Any adult I see playing with one in public I just assume is a few bricks shy...if ya know what I mean.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I think they are just fine for CHILDREN. Any adult I see playing with one in public I just assume is a few bricks shy...if ya know what I mean.

I have caught myself playing with my son's while they are at running practice. Pick one up and see if you can resist playing with it...well not while at work :lol:

I prefer to roll a couple of ball bearings around in my hand.....

Is that wrong?

Strawberries.

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I prefer to roll a couple of ball bearings around in my hand.....

Is that wrong?

Strawberries.

"Old Yellowstain...."  :rolleyes:

OMG!   gotta get one!

I'll leave it at the loading table for anyone needing help with stress relief or getting focused.

Yes, I'm just kidding :D ... or maybe not ;)

On 6/4/2017 at 0:35 PM, Chantilly Shooter said:

This is the only care or notice I've had for 'fidget spinners' so far. Admittedly, they do make nifty targets.

19 hours ago, CodyMaverick said:

OMG!   gotta get one!

I'll leave it at the loading table for anyone needing help with stress relief or getting focused.

Yes, I'm just kidding :D ... or maybe not ;)

I think you two should have to keep one of these going on all of your front sights during a match. Maybe that would slow you guys down enough for everyone else to catch up.

Of course if I could hit more than two targets in a row it might help.

To everyone in this thread judging kids for wasting their time and money: Hula hoops. Yo-Yos. Marbles. Pogs.  Hoops and sticks. Baseball cards. Anyone care to add some? 

How many hundreds or thousands of dollars have you spent dressing up like a cowboy? ;) 

Don't be too too quick to judge people for their hobbies. 

Archived