SASS Wire Forum

Gunslingers have their own Movie....

Not quite what I remember from the book. But it has only been 25 years or so since I read them. 

I couldn't get through the books because they were really terribly written, which is saying a lot since Stephen King is hardly a great writer. Still, I'll watch it because anything even remotely western, hollywoodized (which let's be honest is every western ever made) and all, is better than 90% of the stuff out there. Plus I love Idris Elba as an actor. He's phenomenal. The gun tricks in the movie look pretty cool, even if really fake. But it's fantasy so it gets a pass in that regard.

The wife and I enjoyed the series. The first book is not the best but you have to read it or the rest of the series really doesn't make sense.

For hollyweird to do the series justice would require about 2 dozen movies. 

I think this is another one of those movies where you have to ignore the fact that it's based (very loosely) on a particular book or series of books and just take the movie at face value, otherwise you're going to be extremely disappointed. That having been said, it looks like one I'd go see.. 

I loved reading Steven King novels. I read The Dark Tower and all of the Gunslinger Series. I do not remember the Gunslinger being black, but that is neither here nor there. It's scary-fantasy. I might just like this movie...I will have to forgive the liberties taken with reality but hey, it's a movie.

I actually caught myself sitting here critiquing his loading techniques and the swing out cylinder on a Remington 1875...Duh...In a movie where people pass between worlds a and all kinds of weird fantasy....

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I loved reading Steven King novels. I read The Dark Tower and all of the Gunslinger Series. I do not remember the Gunslinger being black, but that is neither here nor there. It's scary-fantasy. I might just like this movie...I will have to forgive the liberties taken with reality but hey, it's a movie.

I actually caught myself sitting here critiquing his loading techniques and the swing out cylinder on a Remington 1875...Duh...In a movie where people pass between worlds a and all kinds of weird fantasy....

These were actually 58 Remmies, weren't they?

This movie looks like it will be pretty cool. Most movies made from his novels really weren't that great, but the books were.

One of my favorite's, The Stand, was made into a 6 part series that was "okay" but it's main redeeming factor was Laura San Giacomo was in it. I have had a crush on her since the first time I ever saw her.:wub:

I may have to actually go see this one in the theatre.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

This movie looks like it will be pretty cool. Most movies made from his novels really weren't that great, but the books were.

One of my favorite's, The Stand, was made into a 6 part series that was "okay" but it's main redeeming factor was Laura San Giacomo was in it. I have had a crush on her since the first time I ever saw her.:wub:

I may have to actually go see this one in the theatre.

You and me both ;)

33 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You and me both ;)

The Stand or....Hubba-Hubba :wub: Laura San Giacomo?

She weren't not nary too unattractive in Quigley neither. 

LSG in The Stand was mucho hubba hubba. B)

Did any of you notice that the chimes in the trailer were the same was in the Clint Eastwood movie, "For a Few Dollars More"?  In one of the books, which I gave to the library some time ago, doesn't the gunfighter kill the entire population of a town?

53 minutes ago, W. D. Pickett said:

Did any of you notice that the chimes in the trailer were the same was in the Clint Eastwood movie, "For a Few Dollars More"?  In one of the books, which I gave to the library some time ago, doesn't the gunfighter kill the entire population of a town?

Yep.  The town of Tull.  He killed everybody so he couldn't be prevented from his quest.

15 hours ago, W. D. Pickett said:

Yep to both questions...

Archived