SASS Wire Forum

16 Year Old Shooter Looking for Starter Set

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

so did you get to attend your first match?

how'd it go and what can  you tell us about it?

cr

Yes I did!

It was a lot of fun, I met some of the guys on here and they were great to be around. I tried a couple pistols and shotguns. I'm not very good, but I won my age group.

(I was the only one:D) I learned a lot and improved I think. I do mess up under pressure, especially with the rifle, and I believe I was following the hammer. 

Met a lot of people and had a great time!

Good morning

"Buck"

8 hours ago, Buck McCram said:

I do mess up under pressure, especially with the rifle, and I believe I was following the hammer. 

Met a lot of people and had a great time!

Good morning

"Buck"

Pretty sure I finished dead last today, but then I was shooting a .56-.50 Spencer which only holds 7 rounds, black powder all around, and got 3 procedurals in 6 stages. :P I think 3/6 is a new record for me. B)

I hate this game... I probably won't shoot it again til this coming Saturday! :lol:

Just wanted to post my respects to so many good cowboys willing to help out a sincere young man interested in shooting.  Whether its a fair deal or just good advice, this thread makes me feel good about our sport and the people involved.  I wish Buck good luck as a CAS shooter.

1 hour ago, Shanghai said:

Just wanted to post my respects to so many good cowboys willing to help out a sincere young man interested in shooting.  Whether its a fair deal or just good advice, this thread makes me feel good about our sport and the people involved.  I wish Buck good luck as a CAS shooter.

I feel the same way, a friendly reception is hard to find on the Internet, and in most competitions.

Thank you, I'll need a more than a little of that luck!

42 minutes ago, Medicine Creek Johnny said:

Congratulations. I talked to Flyin Shootist and he was very impressed with you. Stick with it and you will improve quickly

I'm glad to hear he was. I was blown away by everyone else's performances. Everyone seems like an expert. I think I have more than a few problems to work out, but I'm in no way discouraged.

Thanks! 

"Buck"

2 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Pretty sure I finished dead last today, but then I was shooting a .56-.50 Spencer which only holds 7 rounds, black powder all around, and got 3 procedurals in 6 stages. :P I think 3/6 is a new record for me. B)

I hate this game... I probably won't shoot it again til this coming Saturday! :lol:

I'm sure black powder is an entirely different set of skills. If it makes you feel any better, I got the same if not more procedurals with tuned cartridge guns!

Buck sent me a video of one of his stages.

pistol work looks good, needs to shoot more to get the muscle memory for where and how far to pull back on hammer

rifle:  again good form and like the way he doesn't have his strong hand wrapped around the stock

shotgun (97):  Wow, he has reloaded these before.  

you could see him taking a quick pause between guns thinking what to do next.

shot this stage in 38 sec--my 'normal' time is around 50 so he's got the skills to be a fast shooter.  All he needs it practice, practice, practice 

Buck:  so when's the next match?  

and do they send out the scenarios early so you can study them?

cheyenne

7 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Buck sent me a video of one of his stages.

pistol work looks good, needs to shoot more to get the muscle memory for where and how far to pull back on hammer

rifle:  again good form and like the way he doesn't have his strong hand wrapped around the stock

shotgun (97):  Wow, he has reloaded these before.  

you could see him taking a quick pause between guns thinking what to do next.

shot this stage in 38 sec--my 'normal' time is around 50 so he's got the skills to be a fast shooter.  All he needs it practice, practice, practice 

Buck:  so when's the next match?  

and do they send out the scenarios early so you can study them?

cheyenne

The next match is the weekend of the 17th I believe, and I don't think they sound out the scenarios. My birthday is next weekend so I won't be going to the match then, as I have family over. I figure this is a good time for a disclaimer, I put 16 because I thought by the time anyone replied I would be, meaning I turn on the 11th of next weekend. Sorry if that caused any strife!

Regards,

"Buck"

3 minutes ago, Buck McCram said:

This is the aforementioned video

IMG_3161.MOV

Hey Buck,  you may want to put that on youtube or something and share the link....  its an 80mb file that folks would need to download.  Some wont be willing to do that.

But it sounds like your off to a great start in Cowboy shooting!  Great job!

Just now, Johnny Dollar said:

Hey Buck,  you may want to put that on youtube or something and share the link....  its an 80mb file that folks would need to download.  Some wont be willing to do that.

But it sounds like your off to a great start in Cowboy shooting!  Great job!

I'll get on that

10 minutes ago, Buck McCram said:

Here is the YouTube link 

Holy Moly.....  a gamer is born. :)  awesome!

3 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Holy Moly.....  a gamer is born. :)  awesome!

I got lucky with that recording, I think my worst score might have been a 1:20 with a procedural!

You did Very Well on Your match as a hole. Most of the mistakes you made were simply jitters. 

I won't be there on the 17 as most if us are shooting the dakota state match however the next match i can stay a while and break down a few stages and go more into detail.   You've got the raw material. We just need to get you some practice.  

33 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

You did Very Well on Your match as a hole. Most of the mistakes you made were simply jitters. 

I won't be there on the 17 as most if us are shooting the dakota state match however the next match i can stay a while and break down a few stages and go more into detail.   You've got the raw material. We just need to get you some practice.  

I think you're correct

Nothing like raw, YOUNG talent to put us O.F. in our place

with a set of holsters that won't 'grab' his revolvers when he tried to draw and a bit of practice we are in on the ground floor of the beginning of a great CAS shooter

cr

First shoot?  Hats off to Buck's coaches.  That's as good a first run as I've seen.  Buck, this game is not cheap as you now know, but once you get your gear, a press and some reloading components, the cost becomes manageable.  Keep at it.  You are going to be very fast and have loads of fun! 

3 hours ago, Shanghai said:

First shoot?  Hats off to Buck's coaches.  That's as good a first run as I've seen.  Buck, this game is not cheap as you now know, but once you get your gear, a press and some reloading components, the cost becomes manageable.  Keep at it.  You are going to be very fast and have loads of fun! 

The cost doesn't seem to bad compared to my calculations for normal 3-gun matches, especially ammo wise. My concern is the purchasing of firearms since they seem to be expensive, hence the thread. "Why aren't people selling high value items at negligible costs?":P.

I guarantee I will have fun, as I did at my first match despite numerous stupendous failures and procedural errors. As for the fast part, who knows.

4 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I think you're correct

Nothing like raw, YOUNG talent to put us O.F. in our place

with a set of holsters that won't 'grab' his revolvers when he tried to draw and a bit of practice we are in on the ground floor of the beginning of a great CAS shooter

cr

I really hope so, not to be better than others but to improve. I have a lot to learn, and more than a pinch of luck!

5 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

I appreciate that Evil, as well as the lent leather. I would love to learn the more intricate rules and the strategy behind the sport, especially from someone as fast as you. Good luck in the Dakota match.

Good evening

"Buck"

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy Buck Jericho here. I still have the open tops, if interested. I would let them go for 750.00 if still interested. You can contact me at Jericho_40@aol.com, or call / text at 1- 217-412-9762.Thanks, Have a great day.

First match video show a lot of promise for this young shooter. Bravo!!!!!

Nicely done.

Welcome and enjoy!

Oh, and you're now hooked, ain't cha? :D:D:rolleyes:

It's a durn fine addiction to have. 

On June 18, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Dantankerous said:

First match video show a lot of promise for this young shooter. Bravo!!!!!

Nicely done.

Welcome and enjoy!

Oh, and you're now hooked, ain't cha? :D:D:rolleyes:

It's a durn fine addiction to have. 

Yes sir!

It's hard to get to matches because of my family situation, but I hope to get to one next weekend. I really need to get my own car! :D

The sad fact is, I have to choose between a car and guns, and believe me, guns would win every time. It's still hard to find a deal however. A nice gentleman messaged me about selling a starter set, we had a brief convo and he didn't reply to about five  inquiries over the course of a couple weeks. When he did reply, he stated it had already sold!

Oh well, maybe waiting longer is the way to combat my impulse buying.

1 hour ago, Buck McCram said:

Yes sir!

It's hard to get to matches because of my family situation, but I hope to get to one next weekend. I really need to get my own car! :D

The sad fact is, I have to choose between a car and guns, and believe me, guns would win every time. It's still hard to find a deal however. A nice gentleman messaged me about selling a starter set, we had a brief convo and he didn't reply to about five  inquiries over the course of a couple weeks. When he did reply, he stated it had already sold!

Oh well, maybe waiting longer is the way to combat my impulse buying.

You bet!  and waiting longer will allow you to add more to the guns fund.   As you've seen, the deal you're looking for is far and few between 

Archived