SASS Wire Forum

Have fun, real life is hard enough

Hud McCoy

Just show up and shoot and have fun, everyday life is stressful enough.

i got to shoot my first texas star yesterday!!! the stage required to clear it using the pistols, if you cleared it and still had rounds left, there was a 24" dump target. i hit all five with my first pistol, and scored a miss on the dump target...lol...

58 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

i got to shoot my first texas star yesterday!!! the stage required to clear it using the pistols, if you cleared it and still had rounds left, there was a 24" dump target. i hit all five with my first pistol, and scored a miss on the dump target...lol...

I managed to miss a larger than life sized buffalo at 12 yds at the Bar-3, regretfully more than once. It happens. :o  :wacko:  :lol:

13 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

I managed to miss a larger than life sized buffalo at 12 yds at the Bar-3, regretfully more than once. It happens. :o  :wacko:  :lol:

Them Bar 3 buffaloes are a stealthy bunch...musta learned from the chickens :lol:

Kajun

1 minute ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Them Bar 3 buffaloes are a stealthy bunch...musta learned from the chickens :lol:

Kajun

Yep - had run-ins with a few of them too. Now there's a stage with a couple cigarette carton sized pistol targets for when yer getting a little too confident !

2 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

BTDT!

Once I put my KD loads (140 grain rifle loads)  in one pistol to shoot a plate rack and regular loads (108 grain) in the other pistol for a life-sized bear, which was a dump. Then, I mixed the pistols up and shot the regular loads at the plates. They went down with the first shot. The heavy loads walked right off the top of the bear and I missed one there. LOL!

As the SASS adage goes, "there's no target too large or too close that you can't miss it."

23 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

BTDT!

Once I put my KD loads (140 grain rifle loads)  in one pistol to shoot a plate rack and regular loads (108 grain) in the other pistol for a life-sized bear, which was a dump. Then, I mixed the pistols up and shot the regular loads at the plates. They went down with the first shot. The heavy loads walked right off the top of the bear and I missed one there. LOL!

As the SASS adage goes, "there's no target too large or too close that you can't miss it."

Allie - we just gotta get you to shoot Comin At Cha some time. Between the buffaloes, the chickens and the 2 cigg. carton sized pistol targets it's a ton of entertainment ! Oh-oh and the motorized mounted shooting in the arena under the lights.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/jTn9SPGRNxKVi" width="480" height="269" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/a-million-ways-to-die-in-the-west-jTn9SPGRNxKVi">via GIPHY</a></p>

30 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

When I first shot up at there at Ione, I thought there was no way anyone could miss targets that close, especially after shooting at chabot so much, yet somehow I managed to miss quite a few. I think I missed one target that was so close I gave it powder burns.

29 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

When I first shot up at there at Ione, I thought there was no way anyone could miss targets that close, especially after shooting at chabot so much, yet somehow I managed to miss quite a few. I think I missed one target that was so close I gave it powder burns.

Ya know, Kid,

I used to feel that I shot poorly at Chabot or RCR because I was (still am) slow. When the scores came out, I surprised myself by where I placed, always much better than expected.

Hubby said those type of matches ruin you for the normal SASS matches. It must be a different skill.

Having fun...This Saturday I am going to shoot a match with my regular CAS guns but the match we have at the end of June (scheduled then due to the Independence Day holiday) I plan to shoot the match with my "misfit guns". My Win 94 and my 26" barreled Stevens 311 just for fun. I don't have any "misfit pistolas" or I would be using them as well...maybe I will shoot left handed that match...:D

(with the revolvers, not with the long guns)...I need some hits, ya know. ;)

5 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Just realize that 'fun' means different things to different people

find yours and follow it

cr

Yep!  One of my small pet peeves is the statement "I'm just here to have fun" usually directed at the more competitive shooters.  As if they're not there to have fun. 

I think it's funny (funny odd, not funny ha-ha) that when one mentions "having fun" here on the Wire people automatically assume that this is somehow a slight against other shooters that may or may not be more competitive.

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Yep!  One of my small pet peeves is the statement "I'm just here to have fun" usually directed at the more competitive shooters.  As if they're not there to have fun. 

Yep I like to have fun, just a little faster than some folks have fun but a whole lot slower than some others have fun. 

Randy

23 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I think it's funny (funny odd, not funny ha-ha) that when one mentions "having fun" here on the Wire people automatically assume that this is somehow a slight against other shooters that may or may not be more competitive.

I don't think it's meant as a slight.  I think it's just a fundamental lack of understanding about why some people enjoy shooting.  

Some cowboys and cowgirls assume that if you're working hard to win you're not there to have fun.  I've never felt it was intended to offend, just that it reflected a lack of empathy for other folk's motivations.

I think it's meant to remind us all to keep it in mind especially when there can be someone that is naturally an antagonist.  We must not fuel the fire.  We must continue to be positive.  Support the match and the match officials.  Everyone is human.  Life is too short to spend it letting someone drag you down to their level.

Having fun is certainly relative.....I myself have a blast at most shoots because that is my goal. I see shooters upset by this and that occasionally but on the whole almost all have 'fun'. Life is far to short for me to be guessing who is having fun and who is not....I love this game and the people in it....even the ones who have long faces. Lord knows what someone else is dealing with at home or at work....and if they have kids...yikes....who knows...Thanks for letting me give my humble opinion....Jim

Archived