SASS Wire Forum

Flashing light, bells, or whistles - Dillon 650

Red Cent

Because of the crickets and birds in my reloading shop, I can't hear that faint sound of either the primer alarm nor the alarm that lets you know the powder ain't right in the case. I must admit that the extent of my electrical experience is changing light bulbs and cutting off the cords on dead appliances.

Has anyone rigged a loud beeper or blinking light to these devices? Or is there an after market accessory that might bolt up to a 650?

I installed a small light that not only alarms but lights up when no powder exists in shell..

JRJ

Either one cannot be too hard to do. With a little work you could have it activate a rotating beacon, flashing light or VERY loud horn.  You will need some basic knowledge of electrical circuits and depending on how elaborate some extra cash for the components.

I just look at the powder check die everyime I pull the handle to verify the point is in the notch, it doesn't really slow me down and I don't have to worry about hearing it. I can hear my low primer buzzer fine so I can't help you there.

Randy

Red Cent,  I bought the Dillion 650 Skylight kit from inline fabrication.com. It really lights up your loader and helps you to  see every  thing  including  the powder in the cartridge cases. They cost $39.00 including shipping.  Irish Pat

I wear hearing aids, but i can't hear the various buzzers. My routine is to look at the case that the 650 fed to make sure it's not a 32 or a 45, then crank the handle & look at the powder checker to see that the pointer is in the middle. I count 10 rounds & look at the case feeder to make sure cases are still coming down & the primer rod to make sure I'm not going to run out of primers cause I can't hear the buzzer. Works great for me, & I never have squibs, & mostly see the occasional 357 or 32 case before a train wreck happens.

The lighting in my 12 X 24 reloading shop is excellent. There are four of the somewhat new LED hanging lights above the reloading area. I have used 650s for about 17 years now. I am a Pavlov's dog when it comes to the alarm. However, I want to hear and/or see the signal.

Sedalia Dave, I really like the rotating beacon thing.

Thought about using a 12V battery to activate when the point contacts the rod but a buddy said bad idea.

Irish Pat, do you actually look into each case searching for powder? With a 650?

JackRabbit Joe, pictures or it didn't happen.

9 hours ago, Red Cent said:

The lighting in my 12 X 24 reloading shop is excellent. There are four of the somewhat new LED hanging lights above the reloading area. I have used 650s for about 17 years now. I am a Pavlov's dog when it comes to the alarm. However, I want to hear and/or see the signal.

Sedalia Dave, I really like the rotating beacon thing.

Thought about using a 12V battery to activate when the point contacts the rod but a buddy said bad idea.

Irish Pat, do you actually look into each case searching for powder? With a 650?

JackRabbit Joe, pictures or it didn't happen.

Use a relay to drive the beacon or what ever.

This relay will make with between 3 and 32 VDC control voltage and will control any reasonable AC powered device you can hook to it. This one needs a minimum of  3.5 VDC but will control any reasonable DC powered device. They are not the cheapest options but their size makes them easy to work with.

The trick is getting a relay that you can easily work with that can be controlled by a pair of AA or AAA batteries.

Here are some flashing LEDs with built in resistors that will run directly on 3v to 12v . They should get your attention.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-5mm-RED-FLASHING-LED-Dummy-fake-car-alarm-with-metal-dash-mount-/271957760990

I prefer the older Dillon low primer warning buzzer. It's louder. I also use the RCBS lock out die. It actually stops the machine. Not just a warning beeper. 

Shouldn't be too hard to wire in a bulb to turn on when it needs to on the Dillon primer warning, though.

On May 28, 2017 at 10:44 PM, Red Cent said:

Because of the crickets and birds in my reloading shop, I can't hear that faint sound of either the primer alarm nor the alarm that lets you know the powder ain't right in the case. I must admit that the extent of my electrical experience is changing light bulbs and cutting off the cords on dead appliances.

Has anyone rigged a loud beeper or blinking light to these devices? Or is there an after market accessory that might bolt up to a 650?

Battery is 1 1/2 volts DC.  Disconnect the two wires going to the buzzer/speaker.  Connect the same two wires to a 1 1/2 volt light bulb flashlight bulb or LED

Yep, RCBS lockout die for checking powder level in case.  Dead solid stoppage when you have an empty case or larger than desired powder charge in a case.

Good luck, GJ

Red Cent, I stand when I load my 38 specials. I have a light over my loader that I referred to and every time I place a bullet over the powder I look to see if powder is in the case.  So far, all my loads have fired.    I love my 650.  I can hear the primer buzzer when it is about to run out.  Please get your hearing checked it is worth it.  We have an alarm system at home.  It buzzes when I go out the back door.  I thought is was broke!  My wife informed that it had always done that for two years and I had just never heard it. 

Matthew Duncan, thank you.

Too pricey for me, Irish Pat. I could get a Lee Shaver hand made 32-40 rolling block single shot for the anticipated price. :ph34r:

Looks like a multiple national and world champion Duelist will be installing the alarms/lights/bells/whistles shortly.

Archived