SASS Wire Forum

First EoT question?

Dusty Sometimes

Going to my first EoT next month, and starting to think about what to pack. Quick questions:

Any supplies, parts or refreshments for sale at the ranch?  What meals are provided as part of your fees?  Can you get bottled water or ice out there, or do I need to bring it all with me or go off site?  If available there, strictly cash or plastic too? 

Dusty

Ranch is 8 miles outside of nearest village.  Of the things you asked about, these are available

For free:

cold drinking water, from a safe water well transported by water tanker

there may be a little bottled water passed out, sometimes there is, sometimes not.  Don't depend on it if that is all you will drink.

To purchase from vendors: 

Many of the standard breakage gun parts (extractors, ejectors, firing pins).  Several gunsmiths with all sorts of parts supplies on hand.

Refreshments - sodas, old fashioned sodas, ice cream, shaved ice, snacks.  A couple of vendors usually have cold water bottles.

Meals - two or three food vendors at least who sell breakfast and lunch.  Dinner not usually-= go into town or cook.  Friday and Saturday dinners available to purchase - see SASS Mercantile for tickets to those catered dinners.

Water service and sewage handling for RVs purchasable through SASS Mercantile.

No free meals OTHER than Wednesday dinner (at the Opening Ceremony).   Unless Hot Tamale is holding her Mexican food dinner at the Hot Tamale stage again.

Sometimes ice can be purchased from SASS Mercantile, if not sold out or the freezer out of commission.  Ask Mercantile folks early in day.

All kinds of plastic work at almost all vendors.  Checks work at many vendors.  Cash always works.  ATM machine available on the ranch.

Subject to changes that I haven't been informed of   :lol: - this is what was available the last 8 or 9 years.

Good luck, GJ

Bring something to keep your sinuses from drying out, I use a sinus rinse every day while there. Low humidity will dry you out a lot. Sunscreen for any exposed skin. the 2 times I've been there they had chapstick in the shooters packets.

Most important is to eat at Chili Hills in Edgewood while you're there and try out her homemade pies. There also a great Pizza place in Edgwood but I can't remember the name, Pizza Barn maybe.

Randy

There will probably be water on the stages.  I expect several food wagons will set up shop.  Pizza Barn in Edgewood does make good pizza.  Edgewood has a Wal*Mart and a Smiths (Kroeger) grocery store so you can easily purchase supplies.  I recommend bringing one set of light colored shooting clothes for the 2-6 PM shift.  It gets really hot on that shift standing in the sun.  Plan on drinking far more water than you do on the gulf coast.  The high elevation, low humidity and high temperature at the ranch really sucks the water out of shooters.  Bring gun covers for you long guns.  It can get dusty if the wind blows.  Just one dust devil will fill your guns with grit.  I hope I get to meet you.

All of the above plus I would recommend MediLyte tablets to replenish your electrolytes.  They are easier to carry than bottles of Gatorade, etc & are just as effective  They are available from amazon.com.  When Kay & I were there last year, we put ourselves on a regimen of drinking a bottle of water before each stage & 2 MediLytes before the first stage.  It worked out really well for us, we never had any issues with the heat or dry air.

Get ready to have a great time there!  Our trip to EoT was an absolute blast.  Founder's Ranch is a great place to shoot.

Holler

9 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Bring something to keep your sinuses from drying out, I use a sinus rinse every day while there. Low humidity will dry you out a lot. Sunscreen for any exposed skin. the 2 times I've been there they had chapstick in the shooters packets.

Most important is to eat at Chili Hills in Edgewood while you're there and try out her homemade pies. There also a great Pizza place in Edgwood but I can't remember the name, Pizza Barn maybe.

Randy

Yes...Pizza Barn, great supporters of our sport.

I recomend Zirtec nasal spray GEL. Make sure it is the GEL form (in a pump bottle)

The gel stays with you all day.

Has helped so many!

I normallydrinkone of the small Gatorade bottle prior to the first stage and one per stage and if I fill I need it one on the way to the rv. I bring some granola bars to munch on during the stage as I often get week feeling there.  All fits in a small cooler I hang from the cart or leave in the ranger utv.

When I went to my first EoT my feet killed me after the first day. Shooting a match in cowboy boots was one thing but shooting stages and walking around all day long was another. Day 2 was painful. My pard, Mayobard, told me to put Absorbine Jr. all over the soles of my feet before going to bed. The next day and the rest of EoT was foot pain free.

Also, the elevation is around 6,700 feet there. Watch your alcohol intake if you drink. Higher elevations can amplify the effects of alcohol...especially the morning after.

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

When I went to my first EoT my feet killed me after the first day. Shooting a match in cowboy boots was one thing but shooting stages and walking around all day long was another. Day 2 was painful. My pard, Mayobard, told me to put Absorbine Jr. all over the soles of my feet before going to bed. The next day and the rest of EoT was foot pain free.

Also, the elevation is around 6,700 feet there. Watch your alcohol intake if you drink. Higher elevations can amplify the effects of alcohol...especially the morning after.

That sounds really good, my feet get extremely sore there.  Is this something you can get at Walmart?  I've never heard of it before.

Thank you.

i work as a waddie  every thing said is correct a  bottle of watter about every 1 to 1.5 hr keeps me in good shape. don't wait till you feel the need to hydrate stay ahaid of the curve in the past there has been cold water on each stage with cups drink lots of water . don't worry about the bladder there are ample drain stations close to each bay.don't know about the food venders yet for this year. you usually can get a choice of flavers. living on the ranch is enjoyable' come out and have a heck of a good time

6 hours ago, Ruby Redsmoke said:

That sounds really good, my feet get extremely sore there.  Is this something you can get at Walmart?  I've never heard of it before.

Thank you.

Yes, it is. It's liniment for sore muscles. It's s liquid. It comes in a bottle with a foam applicator under the cap. You just invert or turn the bottle sideways and press it against the skin where you want you it and rub it in. It smells "medicinal" but it's not a bad smell at all. If you put it on your feet put it all over the soles and up around on top. The sensation it gives is like cool heat. You probably won't feel it in the soles of your feet but you will elsewhere.

I apply it and then rub it in and then wear a pair of socks to bed but often that makes my feet warm.

IMPORTANT: Wash your hands after applying Absorbine Jr. You do not want to accidentally rub your eyes with this. It'll sting like crazy :o

Heres's a link to Walmart for this stuff:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Absorbine-Jr.-Plus-Extra-Strength-Pain-Relieving-Liquid-4-fl-oz/46857865?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=1784&adid=22222222228034496243&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=75277708352&wl4=pla-146028835712&wl5=9032857&wl6=&wl7=9032879&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=46857865&wl13=1784&veh=sem

There is also a cream, but I haven't tried that:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Absorbine-Jr.-Pain-Relieving-Cream-0.2-Oz/758111978?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=cb10767c-6d8c-4b6a-899c-28c2439868d0&config_id=2&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=cb10767c-6d8c-4b6a-899c-28c2439868d0&item_id=758111978&parent_anchor_item_id=46857865&parent_item_id=46857865&placement_id=irs-2-m3&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWBAB&visitor_id=eJsRBtVsYPMXuaqmXJS4CQ

I hope this helps.

Oh, almost forgot and wanted to add this. "Absorbine" is a horse liniment. "Absorbine Jr." is basically the same except for humans. It's not as strong as the horse liniment. It's for sore joints and muscles. It works for my shoulders and knee joints too.

For gun carts, is there typically a gun cart corral set up for overnight storage? 

22 minutes ago, Dusty Sometimes said:

For gun carts, is there typically a gun cart corral set up for overnight storage? 

If not I'm sure someone on your posse would let you secure it to the bumper of their travel trailer in the camping area.  I've made this offer before.  (I'm staying at Hidden valley this EOT and cannot make the offer to you.)

Not usually, not like Winter Range has had.  

The whole ranch is closed and patrolled after 5 PM.   Non-registered personnel are not allowed in.

A cart parked by your own or a friend's trailer at Founders Ranch is close to perfectly safe.  You can park it by my trailer if you want.  I'll send my golden retriever out to chase off any suspects - she'll lick 'em to death.  

Good luck, GJ

On 5/28/2017 at 10:51 PM, singin' sue said:

Yes...Pizza Barn, great supporters of our sport.

I recomend Zirtec nasal spray GEL. Make sure it is the GEL form (in a pump bottle)

The gel stays with you all day.

Has helped so many!

Ooops....nose spray GEL is Zicam!

17 hours ago, Ruby Redsmoke said:

Thank you.

Ruby, Absorbine Jr. Is horse linement!! And it stinks to high heaven!!!

4 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Not usually, not like Winter Range has had.  

The whole ranch is closed and patrolled after 5 PM.   Non-registered personnel are not allowed in.

A cart parked by your own or a friend's trailer at Founders Ranch is close to perfectly safe.  You can park it by my trailer if you want.  I'll send my golden retriever out to chase off any suspects - she'll lick 'em to death.  

Good luck, GJ

Yup....Allie will get 'em.

Pizza Barn is good!

Others have mentioned this, but it's worth repeating, the elevation there is 6700 feet.  That's about 1500 feet HIGHER than Devner.   I am from New England, only 20 miles from Boston, so I basically live at sea level.  I was at EoT last year.  The heat wasn't so bad for me as there was no humidity.  However, on the wise advice of friends who live in Arizona, as well as many at the range, I was very careful to be constantly drinking water.  A good friend from Tucson told me how every year there is a story of some idiot from the northeast who is visiting the area who dies of heat stroke cuz they are comfortable in the "dry heat"  Had at least one small cup when arriving at every stage.  But that thin air was something that I never really got used to.  Going all the way from the parking area to the Cowboy Chapel was enough to get me a little winded.   And I'll admit that once, pushing my gun cart from one end of the shooting bays area to the other kinda got to me.  I had to stop a couple of times on the way and catch my breath.  The heat and thin air that day were getting to me.   Took some extra water while catching my breath, and felt much better for doing so.  

More disturbing was how on one stage, an older gentleman on our posse really did have a case of dehydration or heat exhaustion or something like that.   It did not take long for help to arrive and he eventually recovered to finish the stage, but it was quite scary.   (If I recall correctly, the help came from Lassiter and Singin' Sue)  So please, especially if you are from a cooler, wetter and lower altitude place, be drinking a lot of water, accept the free gatoraide that is occasionally offered, take advantage of the shade at the shelters in the shooting bays, and don't push yourself too hard.   Nobody will give you any trouble for doing so.

1 hour ago, Ventura Slim, SASS #35690 said:

I have not been to EOT since it moved.  I do a lot of stuff in the Sierras and the best trick for altitude is to get there a day or two to adjust.

That's my usuall plan hit Abq area at least two days prior to warmup dat or sidematch day

On 5/31/2017 at 9:36 PM, Ventura Slim, SASS #35690 said:

I have not been to EOT since it moved.  I do a lot of stuff in the Sierras and the best trick for altitude is to get there a day or two to adjust.

This is pretty good advice but still doesn't take the place of drinking water or Gatorade.   Another excellent choice is Pedialyte or the generic at Walmart.  This is designed for infants that are vomiting etc but is great for replacing body fluids.   As for water - a good benchmark is 8oz per stage and if you hang out then 8 oz an hour minimum.   Urine needs to be clear or you are dehydrated. 

Dust is prevalent so dust covers for long guns and a spare bandana to wipe eye wear,  chap stick, band aids.   Tires on your cart should have slime or liners to reduce the chance of punctures (if air filled)

EOT is great fun and you will enjoy it.  Things you forgot can be had at the Walmart that is about 10 miles away.   EOT is also one of the few places in the world where, no matter which way you are walking on the range it seems as though you are ALWAYS walking uphill.  :)

Archived