SASS Wire Forum

Ya Never Know What You'll Find

Hmmm....

Unregistered/uninsured car, out-of-state driver, drug neighborhood at midnight......

Finding a gun in the car is no big surprise...

But a Webley   Mark IV????

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2017/05/roslindale_man_held_after_cops_seize_gun

052617gun.jpg

Obviously stolen from a collection. 

26 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Are you more surprised at the type of revolver or that the press got it right?

That's only because it's The Herald, a somewhat conservative-oriented paper; if it had been the Boston Globe (a left-leaning attack dog Democrat rag), it would have been described as a "modified high-powered assault pistol in common usage with foreign military units".

LL

1 minute ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

That's only because it's The Herald, a somewhat conservative-oriented paper; if it had been the Boston Globe (a left-leaning attack dog Democrat rag), it would have been described as a "modified high-powered assault pistol in common usage with foreign military units".

LL

:lol:

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Are you more surprised at the type of revolver or that the press got it right?

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

Okay....Here is what I would expect from a Boston Globe like rag....

The suspect was found with a Military handgun that had been modified for enhanced concealment. This particular handgun model, while no longer state of the art was responsible for many deaths in it's use Worldwide. Also, it is apparent that this handgun, while not made in the United States had to be imported and probably sold at a gun show so that this perpetrator could use it in the commission of his crimes. To add to the nefarious nature of this weapon the serial numbers and it's age make it impossible to track and quite possibly made it to New England via straw buyers and gun runners from southern gun shows. The handgun had been modified so that access to the trigger was open and made it easier to get this gun into deadly action. The handgun was found to be loaded with 2 different types of ammo that could be used for outright killing or for penetrating barriers in case the wayward former youth had prey that tried to hide. This particular gun did not have a large magazine capacity but certainly could hold enough bullets to cause the death of multiple victims. The grip area had been enhanced to allow a better grip on the weapon. 

We are all much safer with this menacing military handgun off the streets. Calls were placed to the NRA regarding this untraceable military handgun but no response was forthcoming at press time.

It's amazing the kind of firearms that are taken from street thugs. Stolen from collections, gunshops, night stands and granny's dresser drawer.

13 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

But I thought guns are illegal in Boston.

Not really.  

There are a lot of guns rendered unsaleable by State law, including a ton of handguns and all AR15/AK47 variants.

But there are many legal handguns, rifles and shotguns.

It's just VERY hard to get a concealed carry permit in Boston.

The violation here was lack of any permit to own/carry the revolver and ammo; given the unregistered car with out-of-state plates, the driver was also suffering from a critical level of stupidity.

But, I do appreciate your irony.

LL

Amazing whst you can tell with a larger picture.

I was wondering what the purpose of the little hook at the end of the trigger was.

Blow the picture up, and I see the little "hook" is a hole in the board behind the gun. It just lined up perfect to make that optical delusion. 

Don'tcha just love two-dimension?

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Amazing whst you can tell with a larger picture.

I was wondering what the purpose of the little hook at the end of the trigger was.

Blow the picture up, and I see the little "hook" is a hole in the board behind the gun. It just lined up perfect to make that optical delusion. 

Don'tcha just love two-dimension?

Hmmm.....

Following your lead, I enlarged the image...

Two rounds on the left are rimmed (.38 Special?) and appear to carry lead bullets;

Round on the right looks to be non-rimmed - .380?

I suppose when you can't legally buy ammo, you take what you can find...but can a Webley chambered for .38 Special fire a non-rimmed cartridge?

LL

The Webley was chambered for 38 S&W (the British 38/200 round), not special. Specials are too long for the cylinder.

I'd guess that's a 9mm, not a 380, just based on size.

But it could be the correct round. The Brits started with a 200 grain lead bullet, but went to a lighter, faster FMJ during WW2. Notice the 4 to the left are Commonwealth issue.

592afa7fbf155_38-200aka38SW.thumb.jpg.7ab8c9d682b630c4d4ea5e9e7d0a5a0b.jpg

38 S&W specs.jpg

9mm Luger.jpg

380 ACP.jpg

I took a very nice Remington "Iroquois" revolver from a drunk Marine many years ago.  He had carried it loaded with modern .22 srf rounds in all  seven chambers.  He told me he had fired it several times.

I still have the little darlin' and shudder when I look at how very THIN those chamber walls are.  It's just a tiny little grenade waiting to remove a hinger or wreck an eye ball.

Archived