SASS Wire Forum

Short Stroke Kit for Uberti Rifles 1873s

Col Del Rio

The one that feels best for you. Try as many as you can get your hands on first.

I think the 3rd generation is the smoothest.  They make shorter ones but it takes a lot more gunsmithing to get them smooth.  Go to a match and try different ones is good advice.

My advice would be to send it to Cody and never look back.  http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/#action

It's the only "short stroke" you'll ever need.  I picked up my new '73 from him on Friday and it is sweet beyond words!

Regards,

O.K

You have a number of choices.  ALL the makers of Short Stroke parts make high quality stuff and stand behind it (literally).  Cowboys and Indian Store 3rd Gen, 4th Gen (expensive) and 5th gen are very well made.  Pioner gun works Standard and Super Short are and excellent choice.  The Rolls Royce of Short Stroke is made by Ron Snover (The Ottaway Smith) in Tenn.  Understand this.  ALL the short stroke kits need to be installed in a rifle AFTER a complete action job.  Without reduced lever Side Springs, a reduced Main Spring, a reduced firing pin Return Spring and some judicious rubbin-n-buffin, you will not get a harmonious result.  With OEM springs you just get a rifle with a short stroke that takes three men and boy to operate.

In the past, 3rd Generation links gave s smoother action to big bore rifles.  I don't think that's true anymore.  The Super Shorts have gotten much much better and work quite well with the large cartridges.  Try before you buy.  Wander around your local club and ask to try different set up guns.  Also, remember a Codymatic is a one way trip.  After cutting and welding, you can't start over without replacing the lever.

Archived