SASS Wire Forum

More Black powder questions

Dorado

Just to go along with the Black Powder trend going on right now I figured I'd go ahead and ask a couple of questions.

First off I'm looking at getting me a pair of Uberti 1858 Remingtons. Currently I'm using a pair of Uberti SAAs with drop hammers. Does anyone make drop hammers for the Remingtons? If not how difficult would it be to either bend the hammers down or cut and weld them?

Finally what other modifications would be recommended for them?

Replace them with '51s or '60s. :D But seriously '58 Remingtons aren't a real popular choice for BP. You will see many more colt clones being shot with BP. The Remingtons  are more prone to fowling the base pins due to no bushing to redirect fowling away from them.

Yes you could get the hammers cut & dropped (Boomstick Jay).

Many folks find that Remmies rap their knuckles hard and ultimately painfully.  Large hands especially.  Makes it hard to use the middle finger.  :ph34r:  Make sure you have fired some before committing to buy for match work.

Don't think any company has lower profile hammers for any of the C&B revolvers.  Reprofiling the hammers to a lower level would be simple for someone who does TIG welding on firearms.  If that's you, then it would not be hard.  ^_^    The hard part of cocking a C&B gun is not so much the hammer profile, it's the strong hammer springs required for firing caps.

Good luck, GJ

OK so I have both long barrel and short barrel Remmies. I have shot them for 12 years.  I can run them for 12 stages with no binding or fouling. I have also shot 51's which gave me more trouble. I currently shoot ROA's because hey are like tanks and I never have to worry about anything.

Ike

Open the cylinder barrel gap, put bore butter on cylinder pin.

I use wonder wads soaked in 50/50 bees wax and crisco.

I shoot Goex.

I changed out the hammer springs and the nipples.

Don't switch to black powder.  You'll shoot slower, get your hands and clothing filthy and develop a nasty cough. Of course the caps are a problem all to themselves. They fall off split and fall into the interior of your pistols causing jams like you would not believe. To top it all off, the stuff is more expensive than smokeless.  An additional factor is that the Frontiersmen are grumpy old farts that are really hard to get along with.

Just getting too d.... crowded in the Frontiersman category.

Noz, I have no interest in the Frontiersmen category. I just want something that makes a big boom, a lot of smoke, and was different that my SAAs. BP looks like fun.

Yusta, Not hammering the other pistols. I like the grip and feel of the 51's. I shot the 5' versions for a number of years. And I'm thinking of going back to them. STyle points and they do feel good.

Larson's article on how to tune them to work, did just that, they work.

Ike

shot my second match ever, shot it clean with a pair of 5.5 remingtons...

remingtons by design are stronger, more reliable and dont suffer from cap sucking like the colts do. With the solid frame they are way more robust and will last 100 times longer than even the best open top colts, plus with the site notch in the frame instead of the hammer (which moves) they are more accurate to boot. some people have a problem with the trigger guard hitting their middle finger knuckle, i have that problem with all my pre '06 remingtons, after 06 pietta and uberti changed the design ever so slightly to alleviate the knuckle busting. both of my pietta 5.5's are running .45colt conversions and i'm loading with 255grain bullets and they have way more kick than the 141gn round ball used in cap and ball and they do not hit my knuckles. BTW, i have huge hands wear XXL gloves... buy the remingtons. you'll be glad you did...

pm me, i may be selling both of my 5.5's soon since i just picked up a 5.5" ruger old army...

Yusta, Not hammering the other pistols. I like the grip and feel of the 51's. I shot the 5' versions for a number of years. And I'm thinking of going back to them. STyle points and they do feel good.

Larson's article on how to tune them to work, did just that, they work.

Ike

I shoulda put a :) in my post.

Thanks guys I was thinking on getting aset of remmies as I'm not fond of the navy and the army is fine if prepped right shot both in the beginnings the went to the roas and never looked back but always wanted some Remington's.

See I thought of getting me a pair of Colts but after reading up on them I kept hearing how much stronger the Remmies are and how they don't have as much of a tendency to eat caps.  I also just like the looks of the Remmies.

6 hours ago, Dorado said:

See I thought of getting me a pair of Colts but after reading up on them I kept hearing how much stronger the Remmies are and how they don't have as much of a tendency to eat caps.  I also just like the looks of the Remmies.

I sold two new Remingtons to Buy Colts .

Remingtons dont have a cap jamming issue that is correct.

But Remmys have a tinny cylinder pin 

And are prone to lock up the cylinder after two stages .

Also hammer issues .

And knocking your middle finger when fired .

Not fitting hour hand well.

Slix nipples will take care of 95% of your cap jamming issues with the Colt.

Just Saying .

Rooster 

Archived