SASS Wire Forum

Another new guy asking about guns!

JWPicante

Hey guys, looking at getting into cowboy action. Found some local clubs here in Washington. I have been reading through forums about selecting guns and read through the rules at sass.net but I still have some confusion. 1st off I have a pair of ruger vaqueros in .357/.38. I'm now ready to pick up my carbine. Here is where I get confused about what categories I would be able to shoot in. All the forums recommend getting an 1873.. I found one in .357 great right I would be caliber matched to my pistols, but it looks like I would not be able to shoot in any categories with this combo? B western the carbine is too old, classic cowboy the pistols are wrong caliber.? Can anyone help clarify what categories I would be able to shoot in with this combo of firearms? Thanks in advance!!

any of the age based categories,,,, duelist,  GF and BP cat,

if you go with a Marlin you cud throw in BW...

Also be aware of leather requirements if you go with B-Western. It is a fun Category to shoot because you can shoot Traditional, Duelest or Gunfighter style at any time, the only Category that allows that.

Randy

You mentioned "carbine". Make sure it'll hold 10 rounds in the magazine otherwise you'd be at a disadvantage on time due to having to load a round or 2 on the clock. You didn't mention who makes this "carbine" so I am assuming it has an 8 round magazine.

Welcome to the Fun! :D It's great to see another shooter coming aboard. :)

Best thing to do is show up to matches with what you have and suitable ammo for both r/p and sg.  Learn while you help out and meet other shooters I'm sure some will let you try out their carbines and you failed to mention your shotgun .  I would recommend deciding on your first category before continuing in acquiring gear except a guncart.

8 hours ago, Blackey Cole said:

Best thing to do is show up to matches with what you have and suitable ammo for both r/p and sg.  Learn while you help out and meet other shooters I'm sure some will let you try out their carbines and you failed to mention your shotgun .  I would recommend deciding on your first category before continuing in acquiring gear except a guncart.

JWPicante,

I would follow Blackey's advice.

Get the guns and gear you have and go to a match. Go to the sign up desk and tell the folks you are new and you don't have all the guns you need to shoot but are joining SASS and need some help deciding on what you want to do. I can guarantee you that you will get all the help you need and folks will let you try their guns to see what you like.

You will not regret that move and you will meet some of the great people that will help you out.

Again, Welcome! :D

There are some category limitations but an 1873 rifle in .38/.357 is probably the most sought after rifle in the game.  Unless you are dead set on one of the categories that don't allow that rifle/chambering, it is an excellent choice.

Archived