SASS Wire Forum

What's with all the interests in cap and ball gun all of sudden

Blackey Cole

No offence been there and still shoot them from time to time but what made the craving for the interest in cap and ball guns I could understand it ruger ran a fresh batch of old army's but as far as I know that hasn't happened was was it Chilling Pepper Petes lovey customasations of several over the winter or the fact that last month they were too few shooters for a category at eot that like usual has filled out.

Folks are coming to their senses & realizing the they are the most fun to shoot!

--Dawg:D

I have shot C&B since I started CAS twelve years ago and it appears to be just a curve that all shooters go through. Some get bored with what they normally shoot and some are just curious. I shot at clubs in Colorado where I am the only shooter to others with as many as five or more. The ROA'S are very dependable but I prefer the colt clones myself. A tune up to be dependable but after that they shoot just fine. I am pleased to see the interest increasing and hope it continues. Some shooters think it is too much work but once you develop a loading procedure it is really workable. I see some comments about loading up six cylinders for each match to make it easier but if that works out for that shooter than OK NY me. I don't mind cleaning two cylinder deres after a match but not so sure about twelve of them. If you have never tried C&B try it a couple of times and give it a chance. It is not for everyone but it may be great for you.I hope to see more out to the shoots joining us in the Frontiersman catagory or any other catagory that you decide to shoot in.

I know this will seem heretical to some, but I still think it would be interesting if there was a cap and ball revolver that could safely shoot smokeless powder.   As far as I know, there is NO SUCH THING, so it would be very dangerously foolish to try it, but I still think the concept is an intriguing one. 

No reason why it should be possible, even of it did require the use of a new powder created specifically for the task.

23 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I know this will seem heretical to some, but I still think it would be interesting if there was a cap and ball revolver that could safely shoot smokeless powder.   As far as I know, there is NO SUCH THING, so it would be very dangerously foolish to try it, but I still think the concept is an intriguing one. 

No reason why it should be possible, even of it did require the use of a new powder created specifically for the task.

Yep. Heresy.

:ph34r:

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I enjoy shooting Plainsman side matches.  I have a pair of Pietta 58 Remmingtons, and an original 1873 Trapdoor Carbine.  Fun to shoot! 3 stages is just about right.  I don't know that I would want to shoot a whole match though.  

If everybody takes up cap and ball there won't be any folks to do posse chores.  Then what are shooters going to do? :)

10 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

There are plenty of shooters who don't do posse chores regardless of ammo choice....  :P

Wasn't intending to offend you and the other cap gunners.  I was just asking a question.  

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

There are plenty of shooters who don't do posse chores regardless of ammo choice....  :P

Sad but true. There is a an affluenza epidemic it seems!;) Some of the most reliable workers are the cap gun crowd these days!

I first fell in love with the Open Top 71-72‘s .

And played with Cap guns on and off for years .

Just never used for Cowboy .

Then I bought some tuned Cap guns by Colorado Coffinmaker and realized how reliable they can be !

This Opened up a whole new aspect to Cowboy shooting .

Colorado Coffinmaker really knows how to make a reliable forever cap gun .

And with a little thinking things threw .

You CAN still do Posse Duties !

My first time shooting Cap guns I was able to reload two cylinders ,

and wipe down guns with in four shooters .

Then make my way over to unloading table too  relieve a Pard to go shoot.

And the number 1 most important thing about Cap guns .

IT'S SUPPER FUN ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Rooster .

PS. I would NEVER NEVER tell you to do this .

But I have shot My ROA  with Unique shotgun powder .

They are Tough as Hell.

I hope Ruger brings them back.

The used ROA are way Over Priced .

Along with JM Marlins .

Just saying .

Rooster 

15 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I have 2 thoughts on this. First, and most important, the smoke and soot is probably 98% of the fun. Second, never underestimate the potential stupidity of people. :D We've all heard the things people say/do/ask at a gun shop. Imagine someone putting smokeless in one designed for BP because they look the same. Just my .02. Of course, you could always by the conversion cylinders and shoot BP cartridges. 

2 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

Buy more cylinders and a belt that holds em'...........still too much work for me.......lol.

f-442.jpg

There have been many a time when I thought about going this route. I've also thought about getting a few more spare sets of revolvers off of gun broker since they tend to be so cheap. My end result.... still too much work. It doesn't take me too long to reload 2 cylinders. Especially when I'm using my cylinder press instead of the loading ram on the gun. I've never timed myself, but if left to my own devices, I would think I can load up 2 cylinders in roughly 10 minutes or less, definitely less when using the press. The exception would be a cold day when my bore butter is hard. That adds a bit of time :)

I would never say never . 

Savage arms has had a Inline Muzzle loader out for a few years now that is made for Smokless powder .

Ruger could easily approve a new ROA for smokless powder . 

Just saying .

Rooster .

Most of the experienced cap gun shooters can reload in the time it takes for 2 shooters to shoot the stage.  If they are shooting the stages in 15 seconds it becomes a bit of a problem.  A lot of us will lay claim to the unloading table so we can load and still perform a posse duty.

What's with all the interest lately? Well I can't answer the why, but I will answer with a question and that is who cares? Just as long as there is interest I am happy.

5 minutes ago, Lefty Dude, SASS # 51223 said:

I have shot Smokeless in my NAA Super Companion, but prefer Goex 4F Black. Unique does not smoke !

NAA Companion, ready to load.JPG

A lot !

1 hour ago, JohnHenryQuick said:

I just picked up a '51 Navy in .44 so I can see how I like it compared to my Remmies.  :)

Thats too bad .

Now your Remmys wont be getting use anymore lol.

And you will be looking for another 51 real soon .

My best advice is get some Slix nipples asap .

1 hour ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Thats too bad .

Now your Remmys wont be getting use anymore lol.

And you will be looking for another 51 real soon .

My best advice is get some Slix nipples asap .

Maybe.  :)  What I will miss about my Remmies is not having cap jams and it took no parts changes or modifications for that to happen.  What I WON'T miss is the long reach to the hammer - when I lay them one over the other, the Remington actually appears to have a slightly shorter reach, but for some reason they FEEL like a longer reach.  The Navy has better ergonomics I suppose.  If only I could put Runnin' Iron hammers in them... :)

Also, I hear that the Colts don't dump hot, sharp cap fragments into the palm of the hand as it's being cocked.  Is that true?

I've got Larsen's two PDF files on tuning the Pietta and I plan to take my tie and follow his instructions.  I also plan to try the Slix nipples as well.

3 minutes ago, JohnHenryQuick said:

Maybe.  :)  What I will miss about my Remmies is not having cap jams and it took no parts changes or modifications for that to happen.  What I WON'T miss is the long reach to the hammer - when I lay them one over the other, the Remington actually appears to have a slightly shorter reach, but for some reason they FEEL like a longer reach.  The Navy has better ergonomics I suppose.  If only I could put Runnin' Iron hammers in them... :)

Also, I hear that the Colts don't dump hot, sharp cap fragments into the palm of the hand as it's being cocked.  Is that true?

I've got Larsen's two PDF files on tuning the Pietta and I plan to take my tie and follow his instructions.  I also plan to try the Slix nipples as well.

I have Tuned 1860 Pistols with Cap rakes and Slix nipples . 

So I don't have any issues at all . 

But I also have a Colt Gen 2 1860 and with Slix Nipples in that and No cap rakes in it . 

I have had zero issues with it .

Thats why I said Slix nipples at a minimum asap . 

You my not need any thing else done to the 51 . 

After you clean and debur it . 

Rooster

Just now, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

I have Tuned 1860 Pistols with Cap rakes and Slix nipples . 

So I don't have any issues at all . 

But I also have a Colt Gen 2 1860 and with Slix Nipples in that and No cap rakes in it . 

I have had zero issues with it .

Thats why I said Slix nipples at a minimum asap . 

You my not need any thing else done to the 51 . 

After you clean and debur it . 

Rooster

I just ordered the nipples from Long Hunter so we shall see.  :)

1 hour ago, JohnHenryQuick said:

Edit: I meant to respond to Rooster, but somehow picked up JHQ.

Rooster Wayne said:

If only I could put Runnin' Iron hammers in them... :)

You could do this. I've handled TB's revolvers and they are sweet. Planning to have mine done too. Link

In my experience with my 1860 Sheriffs it's pretty rare, but it's happened once or twice. It's just one those things that happens with C&B

GREAT instructions and well worth the effort

Have fun!

Do the re-profiled hammers create any "External Modification" issues in Frontiersman as those hammers were not available in those models?  I know a pard who was dinged at the State match because of hammer mods in Frontiersman.

I like the look, maybe not quite so much bend but it looks good.

6 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Do the re-profiled hammers create any "External Modification" issues in Frontiersman as those hammers were not available in those models?  I know a pard who was dinged at the State match because of hammer mods in Frontiersman.

I like the look, maybe not quite so much bend but it looks good.

Re-profiled hammers are legal in any category.  What got him dinged?

Archived