SASS Wire Forum

Short stroke kit for original Winchester 1873

Blackey Cole

Other than a Codymatic who has short stroke setups for a real 73? My smith says import and I assume the jap 73 kits will not work.  Someone should have link and toggles for the original guns I'm not the only guy wanting to shoot real period made rifles.  I know all it would take is modifying the links and toggles from the uberti specs to what would work for a real 73 even if it took hand machining the parts one off I know there got to be someone that wants this challenge at a agreeable price I'm not wanting a super short throw something around a c&i 3rd gen , 

I'm sure it can be done, but why would you want to? It kind of defeats the purpose of shooting an original Winchester if you're planning to turn it into an uberti. And that's not even mentioning using black powder if it's a pre 1900 one like mine. 

12 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

I'm sure it can be done, but why would you want to? It kind of defeats the purpose of shooting an original Winchester if you're planning to turn it into an uberti. And that's not even mentioning using black powder if it's a pre 1900 one like mine. 

This for sure!

I am not a period correct kind of guy but definitely understand those who are.

If you went to the trouble to find an original anything why would you change it to something else?

I personally would get a modified whatever then keep the original in that state --- original. About the only change that would make sense to me is to get the original back to pristine condition if possible or desired.

Check out what Warden Calloway does with his original stuff he posts from time to time. Fantastic stuff and terrific workmanship just not what I personally would use in SASS.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

My 1873, made in 1887, had already been refinished when I bought it (probably why I could afford it). So I decided to have it case colored once again. I use it from time to time at shoots just because I can, but it's certainly not fast

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

Archived