SASS Wire Forum

Should we allow Gunfighter shooting style in age-based categories?

4 minutes ago, Calico Mary said:

ok Waimea, but whut category wud one need ta shoot ta git fame, fortune, and adoring men??  or at least one.....

It is Friday and I have had more than one adult beverage so I will defer to my sane self Saturday morning.

Waimea

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Soiled dove category???:P

that I kin do....at least got tha clothes fer it....not sure anyone wud wanna see me in em.....:unsure:

3 minutes ago, Waimea said:

It is Friday and I have had more than one adult beverage so I will defer to my sane self Saturday morning.

Waimea

yu have a sane self??  since when.....

Yes!  

1) It does not add any new categories.

2) it allows shooters to try GF with the equipment they have.  May motivate them to actually move to GF or BW.

3) As shooters mature (get really old), it allows them to still enjoy shooting GF while competing with their fellow dinosaurs.

The only downside that might arise is to cause some people to shoot age group instead of GF or BW. 

My first reaction was that this would be a good idea. Mainly because I want to do it, but after giving it more thought, I think it is a bad idea and should probably not happen. 

If gunfighter were allowed in the age based categories I think it would change the game too much and drive a bigger wedge between the top shooters and the middle of the pack. The top shooters would use this change as a way to speed up their match on stages where it would be an advantage. You would likely end up seeing a lot more dirty duelist shooting, (duelist but with two loaded guns out of leather) because that can be faster than traditional style. 

The second problem I which comes as a natural response to the first and that is, that there will be shooter's who try to shoot gunfighter style who are not ready or safely able to because that is their only hope of keeping up. I don't think that anyone should ever feel like they "need" to shoot one handed. It should be worked into by people who want to. 

Just my 2¢

not many top shooters can shoot gf faster than trad,,, not that I know of,,,  I was one of the very few that shot GF in BW and gave it up because I was getting whooped n by traditional shooters

NO, to the original question,, it's been hashed over many times,,, still no,,

2 hours ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

To help clarify the gracious Allie Mo's original post, she IS NOT requesting a new category.

She is basically asking if shooting GF style (2 LOADED revolvers out of your holsters at the same time shooting like a GF) should be allowed for those categories that have a restriction in shooting only 1 revolver at a time.

If allowed, it relieves the revolver restrictions that other categories mandate except for BW and GF categories.

Of course, I would still vote No.   If a shooter wants to shoot GF, sign up for GF or BW.    I think its just that simple.

P.S. - good thread,  Allie.

..........Widder

+1.     NO

20 minutes ago, Wicker Nash said:

Yes!  

1) It does not add any new categories.

2) it allows shooters to try GF with the equipment they have.  May motivate them to actually move to GF or BW.

3) As shooters mature (get really old), it allows them to still enjoy shooting GF while competing with their fellow dinosaurs.

The only downside that might arise is to cause some people to shoot age group instead of GF or BW. 

Wicker,   I think your #2 brings up another interesting item.

What happens when an age based category shooter, using ADJUSTABLE sighted pistols, decides to go GF on a stage(s)?

OOPS!

..........Widder

24 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

If gunfighter were allowed in the age based categories I think it would change the game too much and drive a bigger wedge between the top shooters and the middle of the pack. The top shooters would use this change as a way to speed up their match on stages where it would be an advantage.

19 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

not many top shooters can shoot gf faster than trad

It is not always about the top of the game - this will scramble the mid packers as well.

It will be much harder for a supported shooter to bring their GF skills to the point where the GF option benefits them than it will be for a gunfighter to bring their supported shooting skills into use where it benefits them.

I am not a "Top" Gunfighter - but, I am a fairly decent one.

And I am a fairly decent supported shooter.

On a given stage; if the sequence, distance and plate size is favorable - I can run my pistols GF within reach of some of the good shooters.

There are other times where the sequence, distance or plate size is disfavorable to shooting unsupported.

Give me the option to choose supported when it benefits ME and my overall placement WILL most assuredly improve. 

It will not make me a top gun - but it will improve my positioning.

9 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

It is not always about the top of the game - this will scramble the mid packers as well.

It will be much harder for a supported shooter to bring their GF skills to the point where the GF option benefits them than it will be for a gunfighter to bring their supported shooting skills into use where it benefits them.

I am not a "Top" Gunfighter - but, I am a fairly decent one.

And I am a fairly decent supported shooter.

On a given stage; if the sequence, distance and plate size is favorable - I can run my pistols GF within reach of some of the good shooters.

There are other times where the sequence, distance or plate size is disfavorable to shooting unsupported.

Give me the option to choose supported when it benefits ME and my overall placement WILL most assuredly improve. 

It will not make me a top gun - but it will improve my positioning.

I never said it's all about the top or that the only effect would be felt there. It's just one example about if a couple hundred consequences it could possibly have. And as far as who can learn which style faster, every person is different. 

1 hour ago, Calico Mary said:

ok Waimea, but whut category wud one need ta shoot ta git fame, fortune, and adoring men??  or at least one.....

Now I have had time to think and eat (I know y'all think this wisdom just comes natural). :lol:

Answer to question: Lady Outlaw

1 hour ago, Redwood Kid said:

What if I don't much like my neighbor?

Outlaw is definitely in my future.

That's awesome, Kid.

Make sure if you shoot it with HOLY BLACK you wear long sleeves.:blink:

1 hour ago, Redwood Kid said:

It ain't as easy as the movies and Waimea make it look

HAHA. On a good day, maybe.

Waimea

Well, to keep it short and to the point..........NO!!!

Gunfighters like being a separate category, except for those fellas in fancy duds. We don't want to be no part of an age based category. Just like cowboys don't like sheep.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

49 minutes ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Wicker,   I think your #2 brings up another interesting item.

What happens when an age based category shooter, using ADJUSTABLE sighted pistols, decides to go GF on a stage(s)?

OOPS!

..........Widder

Same thing that happens in BW.   Fixed sights are required in the GW Category.   We are talking about GF style here.  Adjustable sights are allowed. 

7 minutes ago, Keystone, SASS # 47578 said:

Well, to keep it short and to the point..........NO!!!

Gunfighters like being a separate category, except for those fellas in fancy duds. We don't want to be no part of an age based category. Just like cowboys don't like sheep.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

I don't think anyone is advocating making gunfighters switch to age based categories. 

36 minutes ago, Wicker Nash said:

Same thing that happens in BW.   Fixed sights are required in the GW Category.   We are talking about GF style here.  Adjustable sights are allowed. 

Wicker,

are you stating that adjustable sights are allowed shooting GF?

Shooters Handbook, Page 14, states that GF required FIXED sight revolvers...... adjustable sighted revolvers are not allowed.

..........Widder

1 minute ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Wicker,

are you stating that adjustable sights are allowed shooting GF?

Shooters Handbook, Page 14, states that GF required FIXED sight revolvers...... adjustable sighted revolvers are not allowed.

..........Widder

They are legal when shooting gunfighter style in B western. 

2 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

They are legal when shooting gunfighter style in B western. 

Smokestack,

You beat me to it! Thanks.

GF CATEGORY requires fixed sights.   GF STYLE in BW allows any main match revolver. 

Thanks for clarifying your post.   I thought you were referencing GF revolver requirements.

But that does help me make my point in that if age based category shooters are allowed to shoot a preferred stage in GF 'style' and use adjustable sighted revolvers, that would basically mean that nearly all the categories could use adjustable sighted revolvers while shooting GF 'style'  with the exception of those who are actually shooting in the GF 'category'.    Something just don't seem right about that.

That was what I was thinking and trying to convey.

Y'all have a good evening.  The Bunkhouse Boss is turning out the lantern lights and time to hit the hay.

Gotta be well rested for a tough 5 stages tomorrow..... YEEHAW.

p.s. - And I will be shooting in the GF category against some ornery ole OUTLAWS, Cowboys, Wranglers, LGF, etc...... and having a blast regardless of what they shoot or how they shoot it.

..........Widder

The thought of some of the people I know with two loaded guns in their hands, scares the u know what out of me.

Great thread!!

Good arguments both ways. I shoot gunfighter because it's the most fun that I've had shooting CAS; because it *can* give advantages in terms of shooting a pistol string/slightly different transitions; and you tend to garner a bit of "style points" when you Gunfight well (I can say that because I've had a stage or two that I'd describe that way, haha!) I think there will always be those of us who will shoot in the pure GF categories, but I wouldn't begrudge somebody for wanting to give it a try on a simple stage. May just catch the fever!

4 hours ago, Blackey Cole said:

No imo if you do then gofer needs to go away.

Blackey,

I guess with that logic,  we should do away with everything except Gunfighter and Age Groups.   Because currently everything except Gunfighter is allowed in age groups.

By the way one of the main reasons given for not allowing adjustable sights for Senior Duelist was it was not consistent with the other categories.   While,  not allowing Gunfighter style in age groups is not consistent.  Double standard anyone?

I am a Gunfighter and would like to see more people get the chance to try it.    

Why not instead of forcing gunfighter into the age based categories, we just do away with the age based categories as most places break down all the categories according to age as it is now.  Example: Gunfighter, 49er Gunfighter, Senior Gunfighter, Silver Senior Gunfighter, etc. 

NO!! .. NO .. NO .. NO!!  PLUS ONE TO Pettifogger and PLUS ONE to Ace of Hearts.  It's real simple.  If one wants to shoot Gunfighter, one simply signs up as a Gunfighter, or FC Gunfighter.

On 5/12/2017 at 2:26 PM, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

NO NO NO NO NO

Gunfighter is a SKILL - not a party trick to be pulled out when it is beneficial.

Sometimes Gunfighter is a benefit to the shooter - sometimes a hinderance.

You want to shoot Gunfighter - you put up with the good and the bad of the style.

This is as inappropriate as asking

"Should smokeless powder be allowed in Blackpowder categories?"

Because then folks could use the propellant they think is best based on the stage design.

Pretty much nailed it!

On 5/12/2017 at 2:20 PM, Redwood Kid said:

Yes please. I've got a a new set of chaps and want to shoot classic cowboy. I don't see a problem whatsoever. In my estimation, it would have virtually no effect other than to help folks that want to use their shooting style in other categories. I believe that 95% of the people that don't shoot gunfighter, still wouldn't shoot it. Once in awhile, someone that is skilled at shooting gunfighter, but not in a gunfighter category, might try it out on a particular stage, but I find this to be a rare occurrence. Folks aren't going to be switching back and forth for a competitive advantage. Those that compete at a high level tend to practice a lot with one shooting style. I don't see anyone practicing both styles just in case they come across a stage that might be shot a little bit faster gunfighter, while taking away valuable practice time from their main shooting style. If they did, well good for them. The two major benefits I can see for allowing it in any category would be in the case of an injury to one of the hands, thumbs, etc, a shooter could revert back to an age based category and continue a match. And second, probably most important, you might get a few folks at smaller matches that would like to try out gunfighter for a stage or two and thus a better chance of growing our ranks.

Classic cowboy is shot duelist, given shooters of equal skill, the gunfighter will be faster.  Bad idea!

So, why do we allow someone in an age based category to shoot duelist, but not allow duelists to shoot two handed?  

Does the logic behind that rule apply to Gunfighter?

If it does then shouldn't those who oppose letting age based categories shoot GF also oppose letting age based categories shoot duelist?

Archived