SASS Wire Forum

Should we allow Gunfighter shooting style in age-based categories?

4 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Allie said in "age based" categories, So we would add 49er GF, Elderstatesman GF, Silver Senior GF, Am I missing a couple???

She isn't proposing any new categories, she is proposing that it be legal for any age base category shooter to shoot GF style in any stage they want to. Any one else in that category would shoot which ever style the category now allows.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No.

Age based categories already have the option of shooting any style except gunfighter. If someone wants the option of shooting any style they want, then they should get into B Western.

Barry Sloe 

No. 

Plenty of places to play if you want to shoot GF.

Shoot age based and want to give GF a try or shoot a stage GF now and then?  Take a P for out of category.  I do it now and then when a stage just begs me to shoot it GF.

1 hour ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

NO NO NO NO NO

Gunfighter is a SKILL - not a party trick to be pulled out when it is beneficial.

Sometimes Gunfighter is a benefit to the shooter - sometimes a hinderance.

You want to shoot Gunfighter - you put up with the good and the bad of the style.

This is as inappropriate as asking

"Should smokeless powder be allowed in Blackpowder categories?"

Because then folks could use the propellant they think is best based on the stage design.

Big +1

1 hour ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

This is as inappropriate as asking

"Should smokeless powder be allowed in Blackpowder categories?"

Because then folks could use the propellant they think is best based on the stage design.

Or 'should Classic Cowboys be allowed to shoot two handed?'

Ok, this is now a popcorn and 2 rootbeer conversation ----

18 minutes ago, Grizzly Dave said:

Ain't no self respecting Classic Cowboy ever gonna shoot a large caliber smokewagon squaw grip. ;)

21 minutes ago, Grizzly Dave said:

No Dave. Just like Creeker, you've got the question backwards. She was asking to allow a shooting style into the rest of the aged based categories, not asking to allow age based shooting into other categories. In order to make your example accurate, you would have to ask about allowing classic cowboy shooting style into age based categories, which of course is legal.

6 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Ain't no self respecting Classic Cowboy ever gonna shoot a large caliber smokewagon squaw grip. ;)

Amen to that, brother.

Well now let's see ?  Hmmm, Wow we only have 41-42 category's now , Mercy why not! What the heck!

JRJ

To help clarify the gracious Allie Mo's original post, she IS NOT requesting a new category.

She is basically asking if shooting GF style (2 LOADED revolvers out of your holsters at the same time shooting like a GF) should be allowed for those categories that have a restriction in shooting only 1 revolver at a time.

If allowed, it relieves the revolver restrictions that other categories mandate except for BW and GF categories.

Of course, I would still vote No.   If a shooter wants to shoot GF, sign up for GF or BW.    I think its just that simple.

P.S. - good thread,  Allie.

..........Widder

Just now, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

To help clarify the gracious Allie Mo's original post, she IS NOT requesting a new category.

She is basically asking if shooting GF style (2 LOADED revolvers out of your holsters at the same time shooting like a GF) should be allowed for those categories that have a restriction in shooting only 1 revolver at a time.

If allowed, it basically would relieve 'some'  revolver restrictions that other categories mandate except for BW and GF categories.

Of course, I would still vote No.   If a shooter wants to shoot GF, sign up for GF or BW.    I think its just that simple.

P.S. - good thread,  Allie.

..........Widder

2 minutes ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

...If a shooter wants to shoot GF, sign up for GF or BW. I think its just that simple...

...Widder

There's the answer.

Here's another reason to allow it: Say you sign up for gunfighter and there aren't enough participants for that match so the category is not offered. What then? This actually happened to me at our club annual. The match director allowed me to shoot gunfighter in an age based category, but not all MD's would. So what happens? Again this is the only style in which there is no fall back category.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Allie said in "age based" categories, So we would add 49er GF, Elderstatesman GF, Silver Senior GF, Am I missing a couple???

So in other words allow aged based categories to shoot gunfighter? Then why not just allow everyone to shoot gunfighter? If you did it would kind of water down GF as a category. I think I just changed my mind on this, leave gunfighter alone, in fact leave all the categories alone!<_<

Don't think CC or BW or propellants were mentioned in the OP.. The question was about giving all of the aged based categories the option of shooting "gunfighter style"... I don't see where any categories would be added or taken away.... I really could care less one way or the other.. I still like the "Modern" and "Traditional" categories and just shooting for fun instead of a "participation" trophy.......... Basically it is up to the MDs as to what categories are recognized anyway, not the rule book............

1 minute ago, Redwood Kid said:

Here's another reason to allow it: Say you sign up for gunfighter and there aren't enough participants for that match so the category is not offered. What then? This actually happened to me at our club annual. The match director allowed me to shoot gunfighter in an age based category, but not all MD's would. So what happens? Again this is the only style in which there is no fall back category.

If there are not enough participants and the MD won't honor your category - YOU shoot something else.

And incidentally if you want to be technical; the fall back for using the Gunfighter skillset in another category is shooting DOUBLE DUELIST within the Duelist category.

And your club is not required to offer every SASS category at a club shoot or even annual (below state level);

but if your ANNUAL shoot is offering a category and then not honoring that category (regardless of number of participants) - IMO -  you need different folks running your club.

2 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

If there are not enough participants and the MD won't honor your category - YOU shoot something else.

And incidentally if you want to be technical; the fall back for using the Gunfighter skillset in another category is shooting DOUBLE DUELIST within the Duelist category.

And your club is not required to offer every SASS category at a club shoot or even annual (below state level);

but if your ANNUAL shoot is offering a category and then not honoring that category (regardless of number of participants) - IMO -  you need different folks running your club.

Negative, ghost rider. Double duelist is not gunfighter. If it were, then we wouldn't need two separate categories. We could roll them both up into one and let the shooter decide which he or she prefers. Hey, now there's an idea. All you are doing here is proving my point in that there are no other options for gunfighters, when there are for all other shooting styles and categories.

Interesting - dbl duelist is not GF fall back style?

Shooter's handbook page 14 - 

GUNFIGHTER

Any Main Match fixed sight model revolver.
Only Gunfighter Style or Double Duelist Style may be used.

Gunfighter Style‖ is defined as shooting with a revolver in each hand. Revolvers must be cocked and fired one handed, unsupported, one right-handed and the other left-handed. There is no set pattern as to how the revolvers are to be fired, but alternating revolvers is clearly the most efficient 

12 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

Negative, ghost rider. Double duelist is not gunfighter. If it were, then we wouldn't need two separate categories. We could roll them both up into one and let the shooter decide which he or she prefers. Hey, now there's an idea. All you are doing here is proving my point in that there are no other options for gunfighters, when there are for all other shooting styles and categories.

Ahh - double duelist is not a category.

Correct - it is a "style" of shooting and as such is a subset of duelist. 

17 minutes ago, Too Tall Bob said:

Interesting - dbl duelist is not GF fall back style?

Shooter's handbook page 14 - 

GUNFIGHTER

Any Main Match fixed sight model revolver.
Only Gunfighter Style or Double Duelist Style may be used.

Gunfighter Style‖ is defined as shooting with a revolver in each hand. Revolvers must be cocked and fired one handed, unsupported, one right-handed and the other left-handed. There is no set pattern as to how the revolvers are to be fired, but alternating revolvers is clearly the most efficient 

Yes, double duelist is a fall back style for gunfighter, but not a fall back category. Tell me, what other category out there, if eliminated, forces the shooter to shoot a fall back style? If we take away duelist, do they have to shoot two handed? How about frontiersman? Or classic cowboy? Anyway, it makes for interesting debate, but the point is rather moot, as we all know it won't happen. Not anytime soon anyway.

17 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

Yes, double duelist is a fall back style for gunfighter, but not a fall back category. Tell me, what other category out there, if eliminated, forces the shooter to shoot a fall back style? If we take away duelist, do they have to shoot two handed? How about frontiersman? Or classic cowboy? Anyway, it makes for interesting debate, but the point is rather moot, as we all know it won't happen. Not anytime soon anyway.

OP was in regards to intermixing gf with age based and did not propose fallback or canceling categories. That is where the discussion follows. I am not saying you do not have points of discussion regarding a fallback category should one be cancelled - just that this line may not be on track with the OP of an "intermarraige " if you will of age based and gf. You are correct however - an interesting debate to say the least. Keep on having fun and don't shoot yer neighbor!

19 minutes ago, Too Tall Bob said:

Correct - it is a "style" of shooting and as such is a subset of duelist. 

It's a shooting style not a category that is allowed in GF. You could sign up for GF or B-Western and shoot every stage double duelist style if you want to. Also......you can shoot right gun right hand and left gun left hand in any other category but you can only have one loaded revolver out at the same time.

I say Yes, don't see a down side, I'll always be shooting FCGF or FCD anyhow;) Good Luck:)

Peeeeeeanuts,  popcorn..get yer popcorn here:D

A nice succinct answer!  Now pass the popcorn please......

45 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

So, if I sign up gunfighter can I shoot two handed, depending upon the stage?

No, but if you shoot OUTLAW you can shoot GF or Duelist anytime you want.

AND you can have fame, fortune and adoring women wherever you go.

(At least that's what I was promised).

Waimea

38 minutes ago, Too Tall Bob said:

OP was in regards to intermixing gf with age based and did not propose fallback or canceling categories. That is where the discussion follows. I am not saying you do not have points of discussion regarding a fallback category should one be cancelled - just that this line may not be on track with the OP of an "intermarraige " if you will of age based and gf. You are correct however - an interesting debate to say the least. Keep on having fun and don't shoot yer neighbor!

What if I don't much like my neighbor?

3 minutes ago, Waimea said:

No, but if you shoot OUTLAW you can shoot GF or Duelist anytime you want.

AND you can have fame, fortune and adoring women wherever you go.

(At least that's what I was promised).

Waimea

Outlaw is definitely in my future. I just wish someone would have warned me when I was trying it for the first time at the range the other day, that one must always wear long sleeve shirts while shooting outlaw. Black powder and bare skin is not real friendly. I also didn't hit the 12 yard target once. It ain't as easy as the movies and Waimea make it look

1 minute ago, Calico Mary said:

ok Waimea, but whut category wud one need ta shoot ta git fame, fortune, and adoring men??  or at least one.....

Soiled dove category???:P

Archived