SASS Wire Forum

Too many guns

Blackey Cole

I've got guns to shoot every style in cas and wbas but I realized that I have even shot several sets of revolvers in a match except for two my oldest vaqueros and my usfa saas I have rifles for each set of revolvers but I can say I have used them all in a match except for the three newest but two out of the three might get used next month maybe all three a used Winchester 1873 in 38wcf circa pre 1900 a henry 22 from widdermaker and a Marlin cowboy comp 38spc.  I plan on using the Winchester as my main match rifle once I get it at eot, the henry I'll shoot in a side match for fun I doubt I'll take the Marlin as I'm not planning on many sidematches just the 22 and pocket pistol and derringer then use my usfa S saas in 38wcf and the Winchester for cc along with the only non USA made gun I'll be shooting at eot my iac 1887.  Even the side match guns will be USA made the henry, bond, ruger, and s&w. I'm looking for a real shootable 1887 to finish my kit to originals.

that brings me to my question how many of you have sets of guns that you bought for this game that never even get taken to the range much less a match myself I have two sets of bisley vaqueros tricked out , a set of uberti s&w no 2s, rifles to go with them uberti 73 s and a Marlin plus the Taurus not mention the wb guns that never get used anymore.  The leather to go with them I could outfit four or five additional shooters if I needed and had notice.  The only cas gun I'm wanting or needing is a sharps Buffalo gun for the side match, I'd like a 38-55 Marlin also for the lever rifle side match but I have a 30-30 so I'm covered there although it's not a great gun for cas as it's a microgroove barrel.  

So so like I said how many others never shoot sets of guns in their inventory that they bought in case they decide to shoot something different but always stick with the usual?

You better bite your tongue, Blackey Cole!!!

Can't never have too much money or too many guns.

Now on to the question at hand.

Yes I have 3 sets of OM Vaquero's that I hardly ever use.

I love my '51 open tops almost too much.

Waimea

3 minutes ago, Waimea said:

You better bite your tongue, Blackey Cole!!!

Can't never have too much money or too many guns.

Now on to the question at hand.

Yes I have 3 sets of OM Vaquero's that I hardly ever use.

I love my '51 open tops almost too much.

Waimea

I know a guy who could completely outfit more than a dozen shooters in various categories.

;)

My main match guns are New Model Vaqueros.  I've got two sets of OMV's and two sets of Blackhawks that don't get out to play.  I also have a set of 3 screw Single Sixes that haven't been played with in a long time.  I'm not even getting into the rifles and shotguns that are now left behind due to upgrades over the years.

Because as a cowboy action shooter I seem to always by guns in pairs I just figured the more pairs I get the more matches I'm going to have to go to to treat them all equally so none get more jealous than the others. 

Thar jess ain't no sech thang as too many guns, pilgrim. :D

Well at least I'm not in a club by myself now I'm not getting into my modern guns I have used Seven or eight ccw guns and I got MSN in 5.56, the Russian ak 74 caliber, 300 blkout with a change out 556 barrel a 308 ruger pro, then in rim fire two 22/45s and 10/22 takedowns with two rim fire suppressors. It's h3ll being gun pore.

I know a guy who had/has so many guns he opened a gun store!!!

I look forward to owning some guns one day.

In the past two years I have culled the heard: two original 1873, an 1887, three SxS, two Uberti 1873, two Pietta 1851s.  I have one set of pistols, three main match rifles and two 1897s and am shooting better than when I brought a cartful.

For me, I do not have enough CAS guns but I did have a bunch of non-CAS guns and a couple CAS guns that I was not using at all. (My next acquisition, OMV .45 Colt w/ 7.5" barrel - hopefully, lightly used.)

I used  to think the same as many "you can never have enough guns" and I was one that would never sell a gun, no matter what. But one day I decided that there were other things I needed so I sold quite a few of them. I also sold a couple of CAS guns that I now regret selling. One thing I learned, the hard way, before letting go of a gun give yourself a few days of a  "cooling off period" before you actually sell. I sold 2 Marlins to fund mods to my truck that I REALLY wish I wouldn't have sold. But, that is water under the bridge now.

Blackey, you can never have to many guns.

I have 15 in 45 Colt, and others in 44-40, 38-357,

And them we get into the modern stuff, 1911's I've lost count, and S&W 610's and 629's, Kimber Micro 9's and CZ round it all out

I just realized 2 things 

1: I could sell all of them and beef up my bank account by a good bit

2: I need a new safe my fat boy is full

Must be nice to have those kinds of problems. I've only got one set for CAS.

Seemed that I was on the verge fer awhile over the last two or three years but things have taken an upturn recently.  My new story is that I plan to shake thing up a bit and am going to new guns and calibers that I used to make fun of.  I am in the process of getting a pair of New Vaqueros in 357 and hope to start shopping for an 1873  Uberti  by one of our premier smiths soon.  When I sell off my 3 piece set of 44-40s, that will actually be the last of my old Uberti collection of Evil Roy pistols and Cody Conagher '73 rifles in matched calibers.  My plan is to have one nice set of cartridge guns for when I feel lazy BUT focus more on my remaining cap and ball revolvers.  I too have become more interested in the modern guns and am enjoying the big magnums in particular.

ive only shot 2 matches so far and already i am working on my 3rd set of pistols for SASS... my current match guns are two 5.5" pietta 58's with taylors conversion cylinders, i have a back up pair of uberti 58 8" with conversions and i have one 7.5" stainless fixed site ROA with a conversion and a stainless 5.5" ROA on the way that will also be getting a conversion cylinder... the ROA's will become my main match guns, the 5.5 remingtons will probably be sold and the ubertis will stay in the stable...

i also have a pair of 47 walkers, a pair of cap and ball 73's (selling) and a pair of target remingtons, one 8" the other 12"...

I have back up guns I have loaned out to others that I only shot while I had my main guns being turned to have the trigger pulls matched.

I have guns for all categorized except Wild Bunch. No 1911s in my safes.

I have guns I have not shot at all because I only have one of that caliber.

And the big one.

I bought tickets for a raffle for 2 Old Army Rugers with fixed sights, consecutive numbered that I missed by 1 number when called.

The guy next to me kept asking if the number just called was not my ticket.

I wasn't listening until he got right in my face.

They had called another number and it was mu ticket.

Went up tot he table and the guy behind the table handed me a red box and said go see Dennis.

Dennis was our club's FFL gun dealer.

Turns out, in the box was two Ruger New Models consecutive numbered.

I have never shot them.

They are stainless steel and I can not see the bright sights.

And they are in 38/357 caliber which is not what I shoot. (45 Original Model Vaqueros guy and don't have holsters that fit the smaller frames)

Now before everyone starts asking if I want to sell them, I have had them for over 8 years.

And I do take them out of the safe to hold them and look at them.

I do not sell.

I still have room in my safe. . . for maybe 2 or 3 more guns.

Thanks guys I've got several more cas guns on the to get list like a real Winchester 1887. In 12 ga, two ruger bisley vaqueros in 38/40 5 1/2" barrels Bach, two Remington revolvers. A sharps 45-? Long range gun.

Some guns never get shot but have an extreme high "fondle factor"....Nothing better on a rainy day than an oily rag and the combination to the safe!

while someone might suggest i have too many one day - ill not be listening to that , ill be dead or acting deaf ....i have multiple sets but they go with me as i like having backups "just in case" and i encourage new shooters [ working on my son and grandkids ] i even bring at least one set of buckaroo complete with leather 

Archived