SASS Wire Forum

Things you never thought you would see at a match.

Captain Bill Burt

22 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

A close friend was shooting his 97 and it came apart and the barrel and fore end went down range.

Did it hit the target and did he get a P for it?  Never seen a 97 come apart.  Glad he was not hurt other than his wallet.....

I saw a fellow who was having problems opening his Stoeger shotgun, so he cracked it over his knee.  Literally.  It broke in two.  The barrels went end over end and landed at his feet.  This was years ago, and at this point in time, I don't recall if any penalties were involved, other than two misses for the second two shotgun targets.

We had a shooter on his final shotgun shot on the last stage of the day have a light poof for his shotgun. Not sure where the lead shot went, but the wad actually knocked down the target. We all had a good laugh at that. 

We had a shooter's shotgun go "Poof" and watched as the shot slowly poured out the end of the barrel.

A fella at the Bar 3 goes by the name of John Wesley, He shoots Outlaw, everything from the hip, rifle included. One day we shot stage 11 - the Hotel. It has a long hallway, about 50' or so. On that day there was a tombstone plate rack, a dump target & a clay pigeon holder at the end of the hallway. Stage was 10 loaded in rifle, must break the pigeon first, then the 5 plates. Any leftover rounds on the dump target. Ole John Wesley gets up to the line & commences to throw lead at the pigeon - from the hip of course. Went thru 10 shots & several posse members started feeding him more ammo. He shot & shot some more, seemed like for an eternity. He finally just hung his head & T Bone handed him one more round & walked him down the hallway. John Wesley stuck the muzzle of that smokin hot '73 right up to the front of that bird & let fly. Turned around with a big smile & went to the unloading table, which I was manning at the time. He looks at me & says "better not touch that barrel" & smiles. The first brass picker brought a handful of brass & dumped it on the table. I counted 37 empties in that batch & it didn't include the second batch that was brought over. The posse cheered & we all laughed & hollered like idiots.  Never expect to see anything like it ever again.

Good times .......

Archived