SASS Wire Forum

Rescuing a Hepburn

Rancho Roy

Good deal.  So many of these old guns go neglected.  And there are fewer people alive that know how to repair them.   I wish I had a TIG welder and knew how to use it.  It would come in handy on about ever project gun I work on.  

Years ago I was into old single shot rifles and bought up several with the intent of rebarreling and restocking them in more modern configuration.  I didn't get to any of them and that's a good thing.   I had a BSA Martini 22 target rifle,  a BSA Martini 310 Cadet, and 455/577 Henry Martini.  All of these survived without being modified.  I have recently sold and traided them off and was happy to get a handsome ROI (not according for inflation). 

Thanks for the kind words......The TIG welder is extremely handy for gunsmithing. It really controls the heat to a very local area. I've been welding with O/A , stick and MIG since I was 12 years old. I was lucky to have a neighbor with a fantastic garage that built everything from GoKarts to a 40' steel fishing boat. And I helped and learned a lot.

TIG welding was difficult to learn. I ended up taking a course at the local vocational school which was extremely helpful.

For gunsmithing, I must have read 100 books and viewed that many videos. But the real learning was the NRA Summer Gunsmithing courses that are held around the country. I attended a number of them at Montgomery Community College in Troy North Caroline......One full week of intensive hands on training with lathes, milling machines, blueing tanks....you name it, they got it! Highly recommended if you want to further your education in gunsmithing.

Roy B.:

That is such an awesome project!!

Enjoyed the detailed descriptions with photos.

Great workmanship.

Thanks for sharing.

Wish I had the smithing skills that you cowboys have.I have the welding skills.

Having a lot of ancestors from Wyoming, including my alias, I remember a lot of the single shot rifles.  W.D. Pickett hunted bears with a single shot Sharps.  It is so heart warming to see these old rifles being restored and finding a home where they are respected.  Keep up the great work.

That's terrific.  I once told a machinist "nice work" and he said, "How would you know?  You don't even know what you're looking at."  But I'm gonna risk it and say, "Nice work."

Archived