SASS Wire Forum

why reverse shotgun triggers?

Trigger Mike

I see double barrel shotguns for sale and sometimes they say the triggers were reversed.  I'm curious , what is the advantage to reversing the trigger? most of the time we shoot both barrels anyway.  

Some believe it to be faster to just slide off the front trigger and have the finger land on the rear trigger rather than having to move your finger in and out to get to the rear trigger. Unless you are double tapping a shotgun target, I don't see a big advantage for the work required.

You will find that the gun now becomes less safe in the field, if used for that purpose.

I have found this action to be an exercise in futility, as well as unnecessary.  For my usage, (I shoot a Stoeger) I just narrow the front trigger on the outside (I am right handed)  This allows me to "just slide off" the front trigger and land exactly on the rear.  Been this way for years and have had NO problems with it.  MHO on the subject.

Al

I considered doing this but then realized that the time it takes to reload because your finger slipped off and you accidentally fired the 2nd barrel takes a lot more time than adjusting your finger position, like usual, to fire the second barrel.

Also there is the safety aspect, or the reduction of it, as Ace mentioned.

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Less safe in the field??  How so??  Unless of course, your already pointing it at your buddy (Cheney??) and shoot im twice'd (OOPS).

TS, when I first started shooting CAS I thought it would be a good idea to use 2 fingers, one on each trigger to be quicker. I hadn't started using light target loads yet so I was using the full hunting loads, just because. I only did that on 2 stages. One was a success. The other was not and it hurt so bad I took misses for the rest of the day on shotgun targets. I had the hard plastic butt stock end plate and I had it seated wrong when both barrels went off at the same time. Yeehaw! :wacko:;)

Mr. Flint has it right.  I reversed mine and am firmly convinced that it is more trouble than its worth.

My TTN came with reversed triggers from the previous owner. I love it. Not necessarily faster for me but easier, more fluid, to settle on the rear trigger. 

I reversed mine on my Stoeger when I did all the other things Larsen E. Pettifogger suggested in an article back when. It didn't take very long to do the trigger reversal, but I don't know if it was any advantage as I never competed with it the other way. Not so sure I see any "safety" issue however. No different than a lefty using one stock. Seems to make sense to not have to pull your finger out and put it back in. JMHO

20170305_160514_resized.jpg.4c0dce1ccbb215bd08fcfd7d451e3fda.jpg

My most recent Stevens is a Riverside 215.  Strange action unlike other Stevens of the era.  It has the triggers inline.

One of the guys at the range had a Cimarron 1878 he had reversed the triggers.  I found it very quearsome.

I guess the "safety" issue, for me, would be my own safety. Not accidentally firing the second barrel when not intending to...it also means an unnecessary reload on the clock. :huh:

Shot with a guy for a while that had swapped the triggers on his shotgun.

The club we shot at used vomit targets on the shotgun portion of the stages a LOT.  He was shooting an old Winchester with fixed chokes (Full and Modified if I remember correctly) and didn't want to mess with cutting the barrels or modifying it to take choke tubes.  By swapping the triggers, he was firing the tighter choked barrel at the stationary target and the wider pattern at the clay.

40 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Shot with a guy for a while that had swapped the triggers on his shotgun.

The club we shot at used vomit targets on the shotgun portion of the stages a LOT.  He was shooting an old Winchester with fixed chokes (Full and Modified if I remember correctly) and didn't want to mess with cutting the barrels or modifying it to take choke tubes.  By swapping the triggers, he was firing the tighter choked barrel at the stationary target and the wider pattern at the clay.

The process is used in the field constantly on incoming game. The rear trigger is depressed first in order to take advantage of the chokes available.

On a single trigger gun. the barrel selector button/switch does the same thing.

I shoot left handed anyway, so there really is no point in switching the triggers! :lol:

...now the break barrel lever is a whole different matter!

I gotta ask the dumb guy question...

What is meant by "reversing the trigger"?

Is the trigger physically turned backwards so you fire the gun by pushing forward?

Does it change which barrel is connected to which trigger on a SxS?

What's the purported advantage?

Inquiring minds want to know.

15 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Sometime we like spending money instead of spending time practicing.

Wise man.  Nothing like practice.  And more practice. 

Howdy Smuteye John,

Been alive a few years now but I ain't heard of vomit targets.  Is that something that smells so bad when you shoot it you throw up?  If so, I guess I'll just take misses, me!

W.D.

W. D., unless I'm mistook, a vomit target is a knockdown that lands on a springboard, which tosses a clay bird up in the air.

It THROWS UP the skeet.

Charlie, a normal configuration has the forward trigger on the right side of the trigger guard, the rear on the left. 

Reversing them would put the front trigger on the left, rear on the right. 

This allows a right handed shooter to fire the front trigger then just SLIDE off and you're on the rear trigger.

Instead of having to put up with the aggravation and LOST TIME involved in taking your finger out of the guard, moving it backwards a scoche, and reinserting it to reach the rear trigger.

1 hour ago, W. D. Pickett said:

Howdy Smuteye John,

Been alive a few years now but I ain't heard of vomit targets.  Is that something that smells so bad when you shoot it you throw up?  If so, I guess I'll just take misses, me!

W.D.

They don't smell too bad but most of them are heavy as crap to move around. 

If you ever run into one, put the 1st shot high, center- that should give you a bit more height on the clay than just a center hit.  The trick, for me at least, is to see the clay start to rise.  If I can see it come off the thrower, I'll hit it.  If I don't, by the time I find it, it's hitting the ground.

Unless you have an extremely heavy trigger, just the end of the pad of your finger should set it off, then just slide it back to fire the rear trigger. I do it all the time, no need to reverse the triggers.

Archived