SASS Wire Forum

Leaving empty case

My 1894CB is leaving the last empty case on the carrier at a fairly regular rate. Not all the time but approx. 50% of the time. Only the last one has an issue. I installed a new carrier when I bought it about 2 years ago. Might have 1500 rounds since then.  Ejector?  extractor?

357 cal loaded with 38sp loaded long. feeds fine.

This one should be interesting:D Since the last empty is on the carrier I would not think the extractor is the problem.  Since all the first nine empties have been ejected I would not think the ejector is the problem.  I wonder if you might be starting to re-stage the rifle without fully opening the lever so the ejector can't do its thing might be an issue.

Just got through with this after a minor safety on a stage.  Spent the rest of the match checking the carrier after the last shot was fired, and had to shake out maybe 2 more empties.  Also only on the last empty case with me too.

I first bent the ejector spring and replaced it, but performance on that last casing was still iffy.  Replaced ejector with a factory one (not an aftermarket like the one from WWG), and performance is better.  Haven't had the issue since replacement, but still doesn't seem to eject that last casing with "authority."

When I replaced the ejector, I took that opportunity to also smooth out the ejector slot in the bolt with 1200 wet paper around a popsicle stick.  Seemed to smooth things up a bit.

Leaving the LAST empty case in the action and assuming all parts are functioning properly, then you are short stroking your lever on the last round.

If there are problems with extraction and ejection on many rounds.

Most likely the ejector needs replacement.

The extractor is dirty or worn. (The extractor has to hold the case on the face of the bolt until it is pulled all the way to the ejector. Too little pressure on the rim and the case falls off too soon. 

CK ALL screws to be sure they are 'TITE'!

Have you flushed out the extractor hole in the bolt?

When was the last time a DEEP cleaning was done?

You may well have an extractor with a weak spring that is not holding the case firmly. I say this as the last case FTE is a 'tell'.

Pull the bolt-With a empty case, insert it onto the bolt face. Shake the bolt lightly, the case should stay in place. Case should

release with a firmer shake.

Not ALL cases are equal......

OLG

Dang...... you fellers are getting mighty good at this stuff.   

1.  We all have that rare tendency to 'sissy stroke' the lever on the last fired round in an attempt to fling the lever open and discard the rifle quickly.  Problem is, sometimes those levers don't 'fling' all the way open and therefore, your last empty case didn't hit the ejector with any force but instead, just falls off inside your action.

SIDE NOTE:   The EXTRACTOR could be the problem, yet only effecting your last empty case.  This is due to nothing being on the carrier to help give support to the case as with the previous rounds.   In other words,  In the 1894 Marlin, especially the .38/.357 calibers,  the empty case and the following round on the carrier are so close during the cycling of the action, that often the rims of the empty and the round on the carrier will 'kiss' because they are so close.   This closeness can give support to the empty brass but when its the last round, there is no support and if your EXTRACTOR is not doing its job correctly, that last empty will not eject properly.......especially if that last empty is 'sissy stroked'.

2.  Double Ditto for all those who suggested cleaning out that EXTRACTOR hole and the EXTRACTOR.   Crud can build up inside that hole and prevent the EXTRACTOR for functioning as it was designed.

3.   While you have the EXTRACTOR out of the rifle, check that spring integrity, as mentioned above by some knowledgable Pards.

If your EXTRACTOR hole is dirty, clean it out with a snug fitting bronze cleaning tip and Q-tips.   Don't be surprised if it takes about 10 double tip Q-tips to get it cleaned out using your favorite cleaning solvents.

The term 'sissy stroke' is not intended to be insulting but rather indicate the method some of US (me, me and me) use when functioning that last fired round.  

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Dang...... you fellers are getting mighty good at this stuff.   

..........Widder

That is because some of us Padawans pay attention and take notes when the Master speakth. ;)

If Widder say's so, it has to be true.:D

When Widder speakth, and smart man listen, Marlin rifle speakth

When fool does not listen to Widder,

Martin rifle remainth mute.....

Thanks for the kind words my Friends.

But I basically just restated what others were posting but felt the need to give a reasonable explanation as to 'cause & effect'.

What is funny is that sometimes........ its something other than what we realize.   But we gotta try to help, nonetheless.

Besides, info WE post on the Wire might help someone else we might not know about.

As Barney Fife would say....... "Keep a Good Thought".

..........Widder

The Widdermatic I sold Birdshot Pete ran good for him but would do that when PeDe shot it, I tried it and it ran fine for me but still would do that with PeDe. we took it apart and the ejector spring was broken, I guess Birdshot and I ran it like we stole it and it worked, PeDe ran it easier and the problem showed up.

Randy

Thanks to all !.  I will try a Really good cleaning first and see how that goes. However it will probably be a week before I can get back to the range and try it out. That happens to be when our next match is, so its try under pressure.

Archived