SASS Wire Forum

Is this legal?

Hi all:

I am in the process of buy new guns and I am switching from 44spl guns to 357 guns. I was looking a my shotgun belt that holds my reloads and the loops are too big for holding 357 rounds.

Since I was not wanting to invest in new leather, I was trying to come up with a cheap solution that would be legal.

My first Idea is to cut off some 44 brass and remove the primer pockets and put them in the loops and drop the 357 rounds in them they would be a loose fit and I would position them so they were easy to grab and deep enough in the loops that they would stay in place during the stage. in this case, I can go back to using 44s by just removing the brass and I did not make a permanent modification to my leather. This is the cheap and dirty way out. However, when I check the hand book, it may not be legal do to this statement.

"Cartridge loops must not have a metal or plastic liner. However, the entire loop may be made of metal"

Would  that be considered as a metal loop or would it be considered a liner? The 357 round would be loose in the 44 brass and not fall out due to the bottom of the case.

The second idea is to just attached the 44 brass directly to the belt and drop the 357 round in the brass. Would that be considered a metal loop?

If this not legal, guess I will either get some 357 leather loops added to my belt or glue some leather to the inside of my current loops to hold the 357 rounds.

:unsure:What do you all think?:huh:

:angry::angry:  Maddog McCoy :angry::angry:

Why don't you just get a cartridge slide of the appropriate caliber? Remove the 44 loops and be done with it. 

I glued a piece of suede inside my .45 loops to resize them to .38. Wouldn't show much if any.

Yusta B has an excellent solution

Take a leather showe lace and wind it around the loops ( think candy stripe) and tie it at each end. Will work for 38s and removable to go back to 44. Simple and not a liner.

49 minutes ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

My leather maker is out of white leather and my rig is make completely out of white leather.

He got the leather back in the 1960's and no longer has a source for it.

Maddog, I cut some leather strips once to put inside .45 loops when I switched to .38's, you can lightly glue them in and they could pulled out if you go back to .44

Randy

Didn't read all replies before posting, I see Yusta B has already made this suggestion

55 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

I glued a piece of suede inside my .45 loops to resize them to .38. Wouldn't show much if any.

IMHO: Best way to 'fix' this issue. Only takes a small piece. I've used a drop of 3M Weather Strip Adhesive(Yellow)for the glue.

OLG

See how loose the .44 loops are, loaded with .38 or .357.  The idea in our sport is to pull them quickly.  If they're in the loops snugly, they might be tough to pull quickly.  Obviously you don't ant them to stay in the loops while you are engaged in the stages.  Beyond that, you'll have to decide.  I had my rig built with .45 loops that I put .38's into.  It works well.  However, I've never used those loops for the intended caliber... .45 Colt....only .38's.

I have resized shotgun loops from 12 ga to 20 ga by cutting cardboard strips to fit inside the loops works great they fit snug and come out any time you want to change, I do the same if I'm using 44-40 instead of 45 Colt. Easy simple non permanent.

kR

Lead Monger's shoelace solution is the simple solution and works great. I have used it for six months and it can be done in five minutes

14 minutes ago, Mack Hacker, #60477 said:

Lead Monger's shoelace solution is the simple solution and works great. I have used it for six months and it can be done in five minutes

Yep.  Just thread the lace in/out of the loops 1x.  

Archived