SASS Wire Forum

Shotshell reloading help

I'm experimenting with trimming some Winchester AA hulls to 2 1/2" and am using Claybusters CB 1138-12 wads, the problem I'm running into is getting the wads into the hull. After trimming them with a Trim Dr they are flared slightly in wards and the wad won't go in without damaging the wad or hull. Anybody tried this before and have a solution to flare the hulls slight outward?

Use a hull conditioning iron that is conical in shape, and press it in deeply enough while spinning to get a slight flare of the mouth.  (Don't think you need to flare the wads, as you wrote.)

Here's one, a little pricey perhaps:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Spin-Doctor-for-large-bore-10ga-to-20ga/productinfo/SPINDOC/

Or get a 3/4" (?) oak dowel and round off (taper) one end,   Hard to spin it, but all you are trying to do is get enough mouth expansion to last long enough to get a wad in.

Good luck, GJ

2 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Use a hull conditioning iron that is conical in shape, and press it in deeply enough while spinning to get a slight flare of the mouth.  (Don't think you need to flare the wads, as you wrote.)

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Spin-Doctor-for-large-bore-10ga-to-20ga/productinfo/SPINDOC/

Good luck, GJ

I made a similar tool out of maple on a wood lathe, works pretty well and helps smooth the ripples from the original crimp. Cost = just a little time at the lathe!

I cut a peace of 3/4  PVC to the size I wanted .

Stick the hull in and cut off with Razor knife .

Works Fast and Great !

Here is the process I use to load roll crimped plastic hulls.   The one thing that may be of interest is that I install the plastic wad in the press - letting the wad guide fingers open the puckered hull mouth.  

14 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Here is the process I use to load roll crimped plastic hulls.   The one thing that may be of interest is that I install the plastic wad in the press - letting the wad guide fingers open the puckered hull mouth.  

I'm  close to this same thing .

Cut hulls a little different with 3/4 PVC and razor knife .

Charge  BP powder right on Lee load all .

Cardboard shot over card .

Roll crimp with cordless drill.

Just saying .

Rooster

46 minutes ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Thanks for the ideas, I talked to Ballistic Products and they strongly urged not to roll crimp the AA hulls. I'm going to try something different.

I cut down all of my 16 gauge plastic hulls to 2 7/16" on a sled I set up for my bandsaw. Very quick and efficient. I then take the hulls over to the drill press and use a hull mouth conditioner I made out of a piece of aluminum bar and it flares the mouth of the hull out and makes the wad load much easier. 

9 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Or get a 3/4" (?) oak dowel and round off (taper) one end,   Hard to spin it, but all you are trying to do is get enough mouth expansion to last long enough to get a wad in.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks, I meant hulls, not wads, Anybody roll crimping Winchester AA hulls? 

I've been cutting and roll crimping AA gray hulls that I load with black powder or BlackMZ.   They are thicker than any of the other hulls but I've not encountered any problems. I do keep the roll crimp tool lubed by sticking the hull mouth in Johnson Paste Wax. 

11 hours ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Anybody roll crimping Winchester AA hulls? 

Sure, tons of folks do that.  Tex shoots with local clubs a lot, and AA's are what he uses for rolled crimps.  They work fine.

Good luck, GJ

Archived