SASS Wire Forum

4 Corners Regional

Assassin

My wife I got home two hours ago from this match.  We won the best dressed couples contest.  I'll let BT Blade, the match director,  post the scores.  I don't remember all the winners.  Texas Tiger performed very well in the main match and side matches.  This was not a match with close targets.  One needed to use their sights.  Many shotgun targets were missed and had to be re-engaged.  One stage with distant plate racks for rifle targets claimed many shooters hope of a clean match including mine.  On my posse the fastest stage times were in the twenties and not the teens.  Since I shoot two-handed with long-barreled revolvers I didn't mind the target placement at all.  Should the Dixie Desperados host the match next year we will gladly return.

9 hours ago, Max Montana, SASS #23907 said:

Anyone know where to look for scores?

Dixie Desperados when they are posted.

Up now http://www.dixiedesperados.com/2017-legends-regional.html

Just got back yesterday, after the match we spent two nights in Las Vegas on the way home. This was my first match of any kind in six years, the last being the Gunfight Behind the Jersey Lily in 2011 at my home range in Norco, CA. This match was as good or better than any I have been to. Great range, good props at each stage, gravel roads so little to no dust. To me the targets were big and close although I still managed to miss three over the course of 12 stages shot over three days.

BT Blade and Lucky Wheeler did a fantastic job as the match directors and the Sat banquet and awards at the Hilton in St. George ran smoothly.

On a personal note I managed to score a fifth place in the senior category and received an award for such. I should say there were only five shooters in my category and they awarded to fifth place! I shot on posse #4 and it seemed almost everyone on my posse placed high enough in their category to get an award. Great bunch of shooters.

For the last 4 stages on Saturday I shot my new 66 carbine in 38-40 with BP and Big Lube bullets and my Stevens 235 hammer double with BP. I am thoroughly impressed with these bullets. The carbine ran smooth as silk and I think I could have shot the entire match with no problems. In fact, the carrier on my 66 short rifle, shot the first 8 stages, with Unique powder and 250 grain bullets was blackened with blowback, while the carbine carrier was as clean as when I started using it. I may have to look for  couple of pistols in 38-40 and go totally over to BP.

To sum it up, we stayed at the Willow Wind RV park in Hurricane. Great, clean park with lots of shade and Hurricane is a nice little town only about a ten minute drive to the range. We are definitely going back next year.

Thanks to all who made the match. The weather was super (80's) and I think we all had a great time. Thanks to everyone who traveled so far and to all who helped so much with the match. Max Montana traveled 26 hours in each direction just to shoot, and if you haven't shot with him your missing a great time. 

I tip my hat to Lucky Wheeler and BT Blade the match directors. Things went right on time and there was some great action. The banquet was quite the affair and rolled right a long. They gave away a few guns (thank you Ruger and Cimarron arms) and far to many other gifts to mention.

We at the Dixie Desperados hope you put us on your calendar for next year. If you haven't visited Southern Utah in the spring your missing a real event. This is where Butch Cassidy lived and died, what an opportunity to relive and feel history.

Once again thank you all for joining us at the Legends!

Thanks for all the positive comments, folks.  Not only was this our first time as Match Directors, but we had back to back matches; Wild Bunch Territorial and 4 Corners Regional. Lucky and I couldn't have done it without the help of sooooo many people n front and behind the scenes.  We're blessed with a beautiful range here at the Southern Utah Shooting Sports Park.  Our club is small and it takes a lot of work to keep it maintained and in the great shape it's in. We're a small club with a big heart, so we get 'er done!

If you're 50 years old or older - consider joining us as we again host the Hunstman World Senior Games the week of Oct. 9th, 2017.  It's an experience you won't forget with opening ceremonies akin to the Olympic Games.  The latter are held at Dixie State University.  You can go to our website for info on the Senior Games.  As mentioned above, scores from 4 Corners & Wild Bunch are also up: www.dixiedesperados.com

Archived