SASS Wire Forum

Checking in on Noz -- Ya still there?

Smoken D

Noz, did ya float away after this weekend? Thought you might be around that 12" rainfall that hit Southern Mo. J-Bar you got over 7 so far.

We drove back to Springfield from Columbia Saturday night, heavy rain all the way.  Our home in Springfield is on high ground.  Lawn is saturated but otherwise ok.  I sent Noz an email last night, no response yet; kinda worried since his house is near the Spring River.  Here's hoping he and his family are warm and dry.  The low lying areas will remain submerged for a while.  My heart goes out to those who have been harmed by this historic flood.  Glad to hear you are ok.  Thanks for thinking of us.

My home is about 100' above the river. If I flood out there ain't much hope for the rest of Missouri.  Our rain gauge shows 11.5 inches in the last week. 

The bench mark flood is the one of December 2015. I reached the pavement on Business Highway 60 below our house.  Only two during the last 75 years have gone over the highway.

Word is the Major Misalot and Buckshot Baby lost their home to the high water. Be thinking of them.

Good to hear ya guys are OK. I've been watching Truman Lake go up about 3" per hour. Lake is now 8' above normal pool. You folks that don't know Truman, it's around 950 miles of shore line at normal pool, so that's a lot of water to get 8' in 2 days.:o

1 hour ago, Smoken D said:

Good to hear ya guys are OK. I've been watching Truman Lake go up about 3" per hour. Lake is now 8' above normal pool. You folks that don't know Truman, it's around 950 miles of shore line at normal pool, so that's a lot of water to get 8' in 2 days.:o

My memory says they built Truman to regulate the water level in the Lake of the Ozarks.  The Lake of the Ozarks has too much shore development to drop the level in anticipation for heavy rainfall.  Before Truman,  they would open the flood gates at the Lake of the Ozarks and flood the Osage River down to the Missouri.  

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

My memory says they built Truman to regulate the water level in the Lake of the Ozarks.  The Lake of the Ozarks has too much shore development to drop the level in anticipation for heavy rainfall.  Before Truman,  they would open the flood gates at the Lake of the Ozarks and flood the Osage River down to the Missouri.  

Yep, the Corps lakes in Kansas along with Stockton feed into Truman for flood control at Truman Dam, then Lake of the Ozarks, then out to Osage River into the Missouri then onto the Mississippi.

Archived